Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which polisher?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Question for those in the know. Does Meguires Swirl-X have better cutting ability than their ultimate compound? The reason i ask is because i have run out of the ultimate that came with the system (piddley little bottle) and have switched to Swirl-X and the Swirl-X is getting scratches out that the ultimate couldn't.

No, SwirlX has much less cut than UC.

If you're going over the same spots you already did with UC, it could be that UC did most of the work and SwirlX is providing that last little bit extra cut and/or it's covering up some fine scratches.

You're doing the right thing by taking your time. Average correction for me is 4-6 hours, not including the previous or following steps and with a DA. I imagine it would be much longer for someone with a DAPS and not as much experience. Remember, the slower you move (arm speed), the more correction you'll get. :)

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
No, SwirlX has much less cut than UC.

If you're going over the same spots you already did with UC, it could be that UC did most of the work and SwirlX is providing that last little bit extra cut and/or it's covering up some fine scratches.

You're doing the right thing by taking your time. Average correction for me is 4-6 hours, not including the previous or following steps and with a DA. I imagine it would be much longer for someone with a DAPS and not as much experience. Remember, the slower you move (arm speed), the more correction you'll get. :)

Thanks Davey G. I'll go and grab some more UC tomorrow. I should imagine with a proper sized DA you could do a whole car properly in 4 to 5 hours. With the smaller DA system i have i'm guessing about 8 hours. That and the fact i'm going slowly so i don't stuff the paint work :)
Cheers mate, nice to know i'm on the right track.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Finally finished. 11 hours from start to finish. Tomorrow i'll wash and wax her. I got about 98% of the swirls and spider webbing out which i am real happy about. And while i got the roof back in a decent state with the swirls and fading now gone i couldn't get the deeper scratches out so i am wondering if i should get a panel beater to attack the roof for me and see if he can get some of those deeper scratches out?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
You're better off taking it to a reputable detailer.
Congrats on the good result btw. Post up some pics in direct sunlight! :thumbsup:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Agree...needs more pics.

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Only got one decent picture taken before the sun disappeared. I'll post that up later on. So after viewing the car in the sun i'll revise my swirl estimate removal down to about 70% and scratch removal down to about 50%. Overall still pretty happy with how it turned out. Applied a wax to it today and i have never seen my car it looking so good.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n497/goody51/DSC_0086.jpg
This is heavy scratch/swirl removal

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n497/goody51/DSC_0122-1.jpg
Light scratch/swirl removal

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n497/goody51/DSC_0086.jpg
This is heavy scratch/swirl removal

Faaark! Did they wash that with a scotchbrite pad?