Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which RCA cables should I buy for my amp...analog, digital or fiber optic?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
I was at Radio Shack earlier to buy RCA cables for my car amplifier and I came across the labelings - analog (good) / digital coax (better) / fiber optic (best).

Which one should I buy?

Obviously I want best but I get a feeling that that isnot how it works. Are amplifiers designed to use only one of the above or can you use any of them and the difference it would make will depend on which one you used, like fiber optic will give you the best result?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Don't be fooled by their labeling as cheap RCA's do just as well as 'high end' RCA's, all they do is carry an audio signal.

If you want the best then find some that are shielded.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
LOL. They just carry a electrical signal. So unless they have digital encoders and decoders at each end, or firbe optic encoders and decoders at each end, than those are both bullshit.

Cheap ones are fine but if too cheap can have thin amounts of wire and thin insulation which will hurt the signal.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
RCA is analogue. Don't go cheap, as they won't be sheilded very well, but don't go super expensive either.

Jaycar used to do some nice onces, fairly cheap but well put together.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Im running audison BT2 250 twisted rca cable and have no complaints.
about $70 for a few metres.
I wouldnt buy cheap no name stuff as you dont know what your getting and really, its a rip off.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I like the Cadence stuff. Cheap but decent.

As the above posts said, Jaycar stuff is OK, but I pretty sure they don't have stores in the UAE :p

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You paid $70 for a few meters of RCA cables and then tell us to beware of cheap RCA's because WE might get ripped off?

You go gurlfriend.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Yep. Ripped off as in you pay $30 for poorly made chinese cables that really cost $2 to manufacture and have next to no insulation are not twisted and are made of very cheap material's that will wear/burn stop working after a period of time. Sure they cost less but really, your getting ripped off.

Or $70 for quality well made and manufactured cables made in italy that are a tight perfect fit, well Insulated and twisted that will last for ever

Its the old saying "poor man pays twice" buy expensive/quality and only cry once.
it depends what your going for really.
cheap amps, 6x9's in the parcel shelf held in with 1 or 2 screws, 2 12's in a ported box in the boot loose, no sound deadening no sound processor etc... your none twisted/Insulated $2 rca cable will be right at home.
but in my opinion if your spending more then a few k on your car audio system, dont skimp on cabling.

Last edited: