Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which shocks should I get for my VF Redline?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I'm not surprised your VF Redline is miles ahead of a moded VX. I loved the stock FE3 in my Redline too. But, it's well past its use by date in terms of the shocks. The rears in paticluar. I have done a fair bit of towing my heavy boat ove the years though. So, getting 6+ years and nearly 100k is pretty good. I miss the sharp handling though and I dont like the body roll. So, it was time for an upgrade.
As good as the stock FE3 is, I have little doubt the Koni's will out perform the stock Monroe's. As far as the rest of the FE3 suspension goes, I think any gains from after market gear would be marginal and would cost a motza.

point was i didn't rate the B8's and Kings.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Funny all these stories about slow delivery during the lockdown. We had stuff being delivered almost every day, mostly by the same driver over and over. A fully Sikh indian bloke. We have become the best of friends!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Funny all these stories about slow delivery during the lockdown. We had stuff being delivered almost every day, mostly by the same driver over and over. A fully Sikh indian bloke. We have become the best of friends!

I have found auspost to be just as crap as always bordering on slightly more crap and ordering things from overseas - EVEN CHINA! to be completely normal. Couriers are also normal.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think this bloke works for startrak.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
All my stuff shows up fine too.
Sikhs are awsome very friendly people and they don't rip you unlike packies. I would eat veggies any day of the week with a Sikh I woulden't take a roast lamb off a packy if he was paying me to eat it.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
One thing to bear in mind when matching up springs and shocks is that (I think) a lot of aftermarket shocks, eg. Bilstein and Koni, are designed to work with on OEM ‘sport’ spring rate, eg FE2. So if they are paired with a much higher rate spring, eg. Kings or Pedders, they may not control it perfectly in terms of rebound, at least in theory. I had this with Pedders springs and Koni Yellows in my VE SS. Konis theoretically adjustable but would need to remove the rears to adjust them :-( So might be worth calling the shock company to check what spring rate they are designed to work with...

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
One thing to bear in mind when matching up springs and shocks is that (I think) a lot of aftermarket shocks, eg. Bilstein and Koni, are designed to work with on OEM ‘sport’ spring rate, eg FE2. So if they are paired with a much higher rate spring, eg. Kings or Pedders, they may not control it perfectly in terms of rebound, at least in theory. I had this with Pedders springs and Koni Yellows in my VE SS. Konis theoretically adjustable but would need to remove the rears to adjust them :-( So might be worth calling the shock company to check what spring rate they are designed to work with...
That's a really interesting point. Thanks for considering this. I will take your advice and consult Koni. I can always add the King springs later, or alternatively remove them and reinstall the OEM FE3 springs. I'll take Koni's advice on which way to go.
Cheers hey!
PS yhe Koni FSD's aren't adjustable.

Last edited: