Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which shocks should I get for my VF Redline?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep. They're fitted up and I'm absolutely wrapped! One issue is that the front springs have only lowered the car about 5-10mm. The back has gone down by 25-30mm. They are meant to be SL front and rear. I do note the front springs don't have SL at the end of the part number, whereas the rears do. I'm sorting that little issue out with the eBay seller. He claims they are the right springs.
The FSD's provide a beautifully compliant ride. Yet, the rebound has a precision about it. Squirt the go peddle and it try's to squat, Momentarily. But then the FSD's harden up, very quickly. Turn into a corner or bend with ease, and it glides through the apex. Conversely, hit the apex hard, break or just turn in hard and they tighten up immediately. The turn it is precise, great feedback through the wheel too. Swing the wheel side to side trying to unsettle the car just sees it weave back and forth with very little body roll. It just instils a confidence that had been lost as the OEM shocks lost their ability to dampen the movement of the bulk of the VF on it's chassis. I couldn't be happier. The ride is better. A lot better. Yet the handling and turn in is streets ahead. I'm sure there are firmer shocks. But for me, and as an every day driver, it really is the best of both worlds from my perspective. Even on a track day, I'd be surprise if these would give away much to far firmer shocks. But, on the street, they really come into their own. Supple and compliant, Calais like, but instantly firm and precise when required. I'm a convert to the FSD's for sure. I can't wait to get back in for another spin! I'm really looking forward to a long drive on the weekend to put it through it's paces along with the new brakes.;)
As for the OEM's? The front's were cut up, so I can't comment. But the rears can be fully compressed with one hand. A full minute later and they only extend about 5cm out of the housing. They are rooted and probably have been for a good couple of years.

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
One issue is that the front springs have only lowered the car about 5-10mm. The back has gone down by 25-30mm. They are meant to be SL front and rear. I do note the front springs don't have SL at the end of the part number, whereas the rears do. I'm sorting that little issue out with the eBay seller. He claims they are the right springs.

I had this problem with my Koni's. The spring mount point on the Koni shock is different to that of the original shocks. I was running SSL all around with original shocks and it was level but when I changed to the Koni's had to go to a SL in the rear to keep it level.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Yep. They're fitted up and I'm absolutely wrapped! One issue is that the front springs have only lowered the car about 5-10mm. The back has gone down by 25-30mm. They are meant to be SL front and rear. I do note the front springs don't have SL at the end of the part number, whereas the rears do. I'm sorting that little issue out with the eBay seller. He claims they are the right springs.

Cuda, I have kings SL all round. Here is a pic of SL fronts. You can clearly see the SL on the end of the part no. I think you received the wrong Front Springs if their is no SL on the end of the part no.

Resized_20200515_102009.jpeg

The pic below is the springs I originally had, but the front did not lower enough like the back SL's, so I fitted the above SL to the front to match the rear SL and it sits perfectly for me.

Resized_20200515_102307.jpeg

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Will do mate.
I reckon they're a bargain @ $495 from Holmart. Plus $25 freight.

https://www.holmart.com.au/koni-ve-vf-wm-wn-fsd-front-rear-shock-absorber-kit

Order yesterday arvo. Arrive at lunchtime today.

You can really feel the progressive FSD technology. Push slowly and they are easy to compress. Push hard, or fast & jittery movements and they tighten up instantly. I'm keen to get these installed. Hurry up King springs and brake pads!
View attachment 210786

So these require struts to be modified ?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The FSD's provide a beautifully compliant ride. Yet, the rebound has a precision about it. Squirt the go peddle and it try's to squat, Momentarily. But then the FSD's harden up, very quickly. Turn into a corner or bend with ease, and it glides through the apex. Conversely, hit the apex hard, break or just turn in hard and they tighten up immediately. The turn it is precise, great feedback through the wheel too. Swing the wheel side to side trying to unsettle the car just sees it weave back and forth with very little body roll. It just instils a confidence that had been lost as the OEM shocks lost their ability to dampen the movement of the bulk of the VF on it's chassis. I couldn't be happier. The ride is better. A lot better. Yet the handling and turn in is streets ahead. I'm sure there are firmer shocks. But for me, and as an every day driver, it really is the best of both worlds from my perspective. Even on a track day, I'd be surprise if these would give away much to far firmer shocks. But, on the street, they really come into their own. Supple and compliant, Calais like, but instantly firm and precise when required. I'm a convert to the FSD's for sure. I can't wait to get back in for another spin! I'm really looking forward to a long drive on the weekend to put it through it's paces along with the new brakes.;)
As for the OEM's? The front's were cut up, so I can't comment. But the rears can be fully compressed with one hand. A full minute later and they only extend about 5cm out of the housing. They are rooted and probably have been for a good couple of years.

I haven't used King Springs for close on ten years, in the old days with the VE's you used have to go for SL rears with SSL fronts or SSL rears and SSSL fronts to get the ride height matched, is that still the case or have they fixed that anomaly?

I remember having SSSL all round on a Ute and was very unhappy that the gap between the tyre and guard on the front was much wider than that of the rear.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I haven't used King Springs for close on ten years, in the old days with the VE's you used have to go for SL rears with SSL fronts or SSL rears and SSSL fronts to get the ride height matched, is that still the case or have they fixed that anomaly?

I remember having SSSL all round on a Ute and was very unhappy that the gap between the tyre and guard on the front was much wider than that of the rear.

Think it's still the same my VF2 is SSL front and SL rear, my VE ute is SSSL front SSL rear to get the even gaps

Tripxit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
Edit. I'm idiot.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cuda, I have kings SL all round. Here is a pic of SL fronts. You can clearly see the SL on the end of the part no. I think you received the wrong Front Springs if their is no SL on the end of the part no.

View attachment 211094

The pic below is the springs I originally had, but the front did not lower enough like the back SL's, so I fitted the above SL to the front to match the rear SL and it sits perfectly for me.

View attachment 211095
Thanks heaps for that mate. That's very helpful. That is exactly the same part number as my front springs. Maybe they match them like this thinking the engine weight will result in a level ride height? Would you mind posting a pic of yours showning the front and rear ride heights?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
So these require struts to be modified ?
They're inserts. The front ones slide inside the OEM strut housings. Bilstein etc are all the same. Only Monroe make the full housing with built in shocks foe the front.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Thanks heaps for that mate. That's very helpful. That is exactly the same part number as my front springs. Maybe they match them like this thinking the engine weight will result in a level ride height? Would you mind posting a pic of yours showning the front and rear ride heights?

Below is SL's all round

Resized_20200113_122624.jpeg