Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which side is the fuel cap?

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
Hi All,

I got this e-mail the other day and thought I would share it with everyone. It claims that you can tell what side of the car the fuel cap is on by looking at the fuel gauge. I don't know if it's 100% true, but a few cars I have checked it seems to be accurate. Hope you find it interesting.

Pete

WHO KNEW THIS???

I have been driving for a lot of years... I would think I should have noticed the little secret on my dashboard that was staring me in the face the whole time...I didn't...and I bet you didn't either...

Have you ever rented or borrowed a car or used a pool car at work and when arriving at the petrol station wondered...mmm, which side is the petrol filler cap?
My normal solution was to stick my head out the window, strain my neck and look, try to see in the side mirrors or even get out of the car!!!!
Well ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to share with you my little secret so you will no longer look like Ace Ventura on your way to the petrol station or put your neck at risk of discomfort or injury.

If you look at your petrol gauge, you will see a small icon of a petrol pump?
The handle of the petrol pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the petrol pump?
If your filler cap is on the left, the handle will be on the left? If your filler cap is on the right, the handle will be on the right (see photo). It is that simple!

I don't know how you feel right now but when I found out this morning I was amazed!
I checked my car the morning and its true! true, I tell you!!

WHY don't the dealers share such important information with car buyers?
I don't understand why this isn't in the car manufacturers manual??
I don't get why any mechanic I have ever been too or know has even thought of mentioning this to me??
The only possible explanation can be that all these people probably don't even know!

Attachments

• Fuel Gauge Pic.JPG
    Fuel Gauge Pic.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,591

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Would be mildy awsome pub ammo if this is true

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Na, it isn't true. By chance it's right on a lot of cars, but it is wrong on far too many to be designed that way

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Cool but HQ's have the fuel cap in the middle of the car and the gauge is to one side. Myth BUSTED

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Hi All,

I got this e-mail the other day and thought I would share it with everyone.

Far out, is that email still circulating? I got it at least 2 years ago. Amazing how these emails just keep going around and around the world.

All you do is google the subject - 99% of the time you find these emails are an urban myth. If everyone did this and stopped forwarding emails with eleventy hundred million addresses showing, the admins of the world would be a lot happier :)

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Cool but HQ's have the fuel cap in the middle of the car and the gauge is to one side. Myth BUSTED

Same with Falcons from about 1979 to 1988.XD to XF sedans that is.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
The VN HSV dash busts this (guage on the left hand side).

thats right level 1 cluster is one the left level 2 is on the right level 3 is on the left and fuel filler is on the right the whole time

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
had a look on my swift, the bowser arm is on one side and it actually has a small arrow on the other side to point to the filler door.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
When I'm using another car I just pop the fuel door and look into my side mirrors to see which side its on.