Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Sump Gasket?

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Has anyone had experience with sump gaskets for the 3.8 ecotec? Apparently there is a cork option for about half the price of the hybrid metal/rubber one. If using the cork one, would you still need to use the beads of sealant called for in the repair manual?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't recommend a cork gasket on an engine sump as they tend not to last very long. You would be better off just using the special sump sealant.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Has anyone had experience with sump gaskets for the 3.8 ecotec? Apparently there is a cork option for about half the price of the hybrid metal/rubber one. If using the cork one, would you still need to use the beads of sealant called for in the repair manual?
The beads of sealant is a must either way to my understanding.

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
I wouldn't recommend a cork gasket on an engine sump as they tend not to last very long. You would be better off just using the special sump sealant.
Don't know about longevity being a problem. I'm old enough to remember when all sump and rocker cover gaskets were cork and as long as they weren't disturbed they never gave a problem.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Cork's crap. Use the metal/rubber gaskets. The cork gaskets compress over time and lose tension. Once they start seeping they don't stop. The rubber is more elastic so will keep constant tension throughout heat cycles. I've used cork in the past where money was an issue but I don't even bother anymore due to the long term headaches.

Apparently cork used to be better - not sure whether it had asbestos in it or whatever but modern cork isn't great. Sometimes you can get a composite 'cork' style which are a little better but still not as good as rubber.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Would ABRD Ultra Plus Copper Gasket Maker be suitable? I already have some of that.
l couldn't guarantee you no issue would occur a some stage. You could call the manufacturer of the product, explain the application.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know about longevity being a problem. I'm old enough to remember when all sump and rocker cover gaskets were cork and as long as they weren't disturbed they never gave a problem.
Ive seen many Holdens with leaky side gaskets and rocker cover gaskets all were cork. My trans tech uses cork on the pan gasket and its weeping by the time it hits 25k. There is a really good sealant that mechs use. If I knew the name of it i would tell you. If you ask a mech near you what they use im sure they would happily say.
But hey your bus man, I'm only saying from what i know. If you think it won't leak then go for cork. Makes no difference to me but you did ask for opinions from what i understand.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Permatex ultra blue/ultra black is good. BUT Threebond products are the BEST - they are expensive however. I use the supersealer in most applications where you'd traditionally use RTV. I use 1104 or 1194 when joining case halves etc but product choice depends on machining tolerances and whether the joint is to be load bearing or under torsion etc.