Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which Sway bars

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
Hey Guys

I've desided to take the plunge and go for some whiteline sway bars, as the VR handles like a boat around corners compared to mates cars.

I've allready got a Strut brace which i got off ebay, prob not as good as a whiteline brace but will do for now, Also down the track yes i do plan on upgrading suspenstion but only one thing at a time,

Now the main thing i'm wondering is what width bars should i Get,, i went to autobarn and was quite iimpressed with their prices, but would I be better off with 27 or 30MM on the front and 18 or 20 on the back,

I'm guessing becacose i allready have a strut brace 30MM might be too much>>? I dont want to go from understeer to over steer. Basicly Just Looking to be able to go around corners at a nice speed if need be,

Also What else will I need apart from the bars themselfs? do I need to upgrade links? and what about the radtios bar? i keep hearing I need to change this?

Cheers in advance guys, I sware i saw a thread on this a Whlie back but I couldn't find anything when I did a search?

N

nemodore

i got 30mm and strut brace and the swaybar made no difference at all. u need to change bushes thats bout it.

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
proto vr,
on my previous vs i had a whiteline 30 or 32 mm cant remember exactly but it was the thickest they made, but i removed the links from the struts (where the sway bar ends meet the struts) and bought the whiteline a-arm links , they are u bolt looking things which mount on to the a-arms of the front suspension with nolathene bushes , approx $80 , made heaps of a difference and reduced body roll even more compared to the std links, if your in melbourne you can buy directly from whiteline in tulla, :)
i left the rear std as advised by 95% of the suspension places i talked to, according to them IF your cars got IRS then by going to a thicker bar at the rear you actually lock the rear wheels together acting more like a live axle than an IRS. ( like i said thats what i was told, so dont quote me being 100% right )

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
VS CALAIS said:
proto vr,
on my previous vs i had a whiteline 30 or 32 mm cant remember exactly but it was the thickest they made, but i removed the links from the struts (where the sway bar ends meet the struts) and bought the whiteline a-arm links , they are u bolt looking things which mount on to the a-arms of the front suspension with nolathene bushes , approx $80 , made heaps of a difference and reduced body roll even more compared to the std links, if your in melbourne you can buy directly from whiteline in tulla, :)
i left the rear std as advised by 95% of the suspension places i talked to, according to them IF your cars got IRS then by going to a thicker bar at the rear you actually lock the rear wheels together acting more like a live axle than an IRS. ( like i said thats what i was told, so dont quote me being 100% right )

wel you would get that effect, it would be a case of taking it up maybe one step to stiffen it a little and leave it at that

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
So what size bars would i be better with?

I seem to rember a thread somewhere about 30mm mybe being too much??

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
you should probably do the rest of your suspension first! springs and shocks. i have looked at heaps of web pages on suspension and have seen in numerous mags that sway bars should be left to last. i guess they are going to make or break the way your car handles.

proto_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR-S Manual
This Issue has been debated time and time again i Belive? on which should be first

I do plan on doing them all over time, But for a few resons i think it would be easyer to get the sways done at this time, Anyone have even the links to threads that coverd which MM bars would be best?

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
Buy the Whiteline adjustable blade swaybar, It is adjustable from 27mm-32mm. I've got one and it's prime. 4 swaybars in one package, that's the shiet

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
michelson can you post a pic. does this sway bar have holes on the end that you can change where it's fixed from. i've seen a rear one on a VN but it had been cut shorter for exhaust reasons

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
yeah It does have 4 holes drilled in close proximity to the end of the bar, this changes the lever action on the bar itself. I could send you a pic if I had your email address