Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

which uses more fuel? a supercharged 6 or a v8?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
my 5.7 hsv manual round the city is quite thirsty...compared to my stock v6 i am get about 100km less out of a tank....
but i wouldnt go back no matter the petrol price :thumbsup:

hopefully after exhaust, extractors, high flow cats, CAI and a tune it should be a little nicer but i am not doing all of that for the fuel economy...:whistling

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
v6 are cheaper to run !

Last edited:

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
minux said:
On the highway a 5.7 tuned can get down to 8.29l/100km ;)
well then i guess that would make the s/c v6 the clear winner or i have a freak of an untuned engine as i easily get low 7's on the highway.......

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
danielsan said:
well then i guess that would make the s/c v6 the clear winner or i have a freak of an untuned engine as i easily get low 7's on the highway.......

So driving through a city onto a highway you can keep fuel consumption under 8? i'd love to see that :)

Seriously though, did you run your car empty or take a guess on fuel usage?

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
garfa said:
hey i am not saying otherwise. but a 5.7 litre engine is still 5.7 litres!

Actually it's got a fair bit to do with gearing and tuning as well. The gen3 does extremely well in terms of open road economy, and round town they can get something like 14L/100 including a bit of playtime. While that's more than a V6 would get under similar conditions it's also a hell of a lot more fun.

As for super6 vs V8, the super6 fuel system has the capacity to supply about the same amount of fuel as the gen3, it's basically up to your right foot as to whether it drinks it. I'd put my money on the super6 to get the better economy though if driven "sensibly", but hey, who's gonna do that?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
My stock S/C v6 sits around 7-8 L /100 on the freeway...but it depends what speed you sit on...it can get under those fugures if I sit on 90 km's instead of 110 km's...I think I recall seeing 6.3 L showing on the instantanious fuel use display with the cruise control on..only way I can better that is if I go downhill..with no accelerator...:yeah:

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
far out, thats pretty good, i want my next car 2 be a supercharged v6 i recon

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
the instantanious fuel isnt the most accurate.
the best way is to take note of how many km's done fill up with feul to see how much used and a few sums later you get an accurate L/100km.

my instantanious fuel says 55L+ per 100km when i am floggin it.......:whistling

Last edited:

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
minux said:
So driving through a city onto a highway you can keep fuel consumption under 8? i'd love to see that :)

Seriously though, did you run your car empty or take a guess on fuel usage?

i was under the impression you quoted a pure highway figure which is what i did. i didnt guess or run it empty, i used the trip meter and how much i fuel i had to put in when i refueled to give me my result.

i dont do many many city/highway cycles so i dont bother remembering them but on average i get around 8.5/100kms highway and 12.5/100kms city so mixed cycle i'ld be guessing midway between them if that answers your question. if you wanna know what a tuned super6 does you'll have to find someone else to answer that Q.

i'm not trying to bag the 5.7's at all, i know of someone with a vs stato who gets low 9's on the highway. just posting my experience :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
danielsan said:
i was under the impression you quoted a pure highway figure which is what i did. i didnt guess or run it empty, i used the trip meter and how much i fuel i had to put in when i refueled to give me my result.

i dont do many many city/highway cycles so i dont bother remembering them but on average i get around 8.5/100kms highway and 12.5/100kms city so mixed cycle i'ld be guessing midway between them if that answers your question. if you wanna know what a tuned super6 does you'll have to find someone else to answer that Q.

i'm not trying to bag the 5.7's at all, i know of someone with a vs stato who gets low 9's on the highway. just posting my experience :)

So your average isnt truly accurate.

My figures come from driving the car to over flowing full to dead empty when the new tank was put in :D 76.48 litres lol.

Before anyone says oh that can damage your fuel pump...it didnt matter as it was being replaced anyway, hence the test