Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Ron Burgundy, Apr 12, 2018.

Which VF SS OTR CAI is best ?

1. Harrop

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Orrsom

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. VCM

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Interested to see which otr cai is best based on the following:

Build quality
    Airflow/performance
    Ease of install
    After sales support
    Acess to air filter

Share your thoughts

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. VinnieLS3

VinnieLS3 Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Commodore SSV Redline
    I voted Harrop as that's what I've got and they also didn't have the leaking issues that VCM had once.

In saying that, Duspeed used to make a fantastic OTR. I was going to buy theirs but they're currently not selling it for VF2 anymore as they're designing a new one, which wasn't ready when I was ready to go.

Just a heads up with the Harrop, the side infill panel from Harrop can be a pain as you need to use one of the ground bolts to secure it. This places the plastic of the panel between the ground bolt and can cause an issue with grounding (I had this issue). What it caused was my left headlight to be half dim and also caused the left indicator to sometimes go out. I did tighten the bolt considerably to rectify but couldn't go too hard as it would crack the plastic of the side infill panel. In the end I ended up swapping the Harrop side infill panel for the VCM side infill panel.

Ron Burgundy and TTubrag like this.
  3. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Great feedback VinnieLS3! Harrop was my top choice to date (not in a rush yet). Might wait and see what Duspeed comes up with now.

VinnieLS3 likes this.
  4. Mike__

Mike__ Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vf2ssv
    Harrop infill panel is horrid. Finish / fit / mounting points -as suggested above. Harrop sent me a replacement after I had a whinge but it unfortunately had the same issues as the first.

Vinnie is the vcm infill panel made of the same type of plastic as the Otr? Did you use the metal spacer provided so the infill is not squashed by the bolt?

I only have experience with the harrop otr - mafless. Nearly but not as well finished as the factory airbox. I went with harrop over the vcm as I liked the idea of the clamping metal clips. It seals well.
    Cons
    -Centre bracket needed to be redrilled
    -One nostril wharped
    -rubber 'mouth' which mounts to the throttle body should have been made 1cm longer
    - lots of burs to clean up from the moulding process.

Overall I like it and it looks the goods but is $$ for what it is but I guess that's the price you pay for a low volume product. The k&n filter is full of see through holes. I find it Easy to remove and clean. use the k&n recharge kit $22 on eBay with the aerosol oil.

Plenty of threads on both , here and hsv forum

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    VinnieLS3 and Ron Burgundy like this.
  5. monstar

monstar Naturally as-pirated

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    I thought to chime with VE info for some background, in the main is the same except for fit to facelift and infill bits. Oh and the VFII fart tube thing.
    Have had Orssom and VCM, and met with Dus. Harrop is classic rebranded VCM, like Walkinshaw, as they do.
    The practical thing missing in your criteria @Ron Burgundy is how easy is it to service the panel filter, Orrsom wins hands-down.
    In every other sense DuSpeed is the better quality product, and the bloke is a dedicated Motorsport professional runnining a niche small business. I wish I went with one for looks at the time but couldn’t immediately see the value / price was an issue.
    VCM is a known item and was able to pick up a second hand one with good filter for less than a replacement filter for the Orssom.
    In terms of flow and stuff, there’s plenty of threads in detail but they all do 1000-1500 CFM and get cooked standing still because they sit on top of the radiator!
    If you insulate them and provide enough air to work as intended (ram air trumpet), turbulence and noise is a real issue for reliable MAF resolution. An air straightener will fix that, but difficult to fit in the VCM / Harrop.

Worth noting Orssom draws fresh air from vent above radiator like most performance cars, of course others sit in front of radiator blocking a patch of engine cooling / trans cooling and repositions the pitch of airflow through the radiator honeycomb. This is not a move to greater longevity of the original engineering IMO.
    Also VCM and Harry deletes the resonance / pressure wave tuning of the original intake design, specifically there is no resonator box to address low RPM tuning. Orssom provides a ‘surge tank’ at the required length for low end torque and unique sound as a result. Technically the Orssom does not get max flow through the vent (as in 1000+ CFM) until 60 kph vs VCM Harrop is good out of a dig. To clarify Orrsom is leader in torque delivery but auxiliary air tract is required for canned, high RPM high HP low vehicle speed.

HemiMagic, TTubrag, bruiSSer and 2 others like this.
  6. blackve76

blackve76 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
    Personally Harrop, its far better build than VCM(I've had the cracked VCM and filter moving issue. Never fitted the infill plates so no issue there.

Have a DUS on my VE and really good product and esy to clean filter wish he had a VF one.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  7. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    I am leaning towards orrsom as it does not require the radiator to be messed with and servicing the filter seems easier than the others. Lots of good info so far !

Geoff6666 likes this.
  8. Mike Litherous

Mike Litherous Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE ssv
    Where do u get the air straighter from there dirk

9. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    Im going roto-fab rather than OTR, but thats just me.

Seem to be very highly praised in the US.
    The build quality looks great.
    Both oiled and dry filters are cleanable.

Ill update more when its actually installed, only turned up this week.

10. 3rspecB

3rspecB Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
    Another one here with a Roto-fab intake installed. Very happy with the build quality and serviceability of the air filter. My sound tube is plumbed in.

11. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Feedback on performance difference with Rotto-Fab would be great guys. Both pre and post tune, if you had one done.

12. arthurk

arthurk Active Member

Members Ride:
    SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
    Oppps wrong thread....

13. 3rspecB

Members Ride:
    Sorry haven't done any before or after dynos as my car was road tuned. My tuner is a VCM fanboi and had no negative remarks about the Roto-fab when tuning my car. I also installed VF HSV 340 headers/cats and mid pipe with my stock mufflers.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    TTubrag likes this.
  14. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Wagoon
    i have had both Harrop and VCM.

Harrop was better material, had metal clamps all around holding filter between both components.
    I did find that it did not seal properly at between the two components, just below the TB. I was getting a slight bit of unfiltered air coming in between the filter and OTR body. Not sure if it was a one off moulding issue from factory?

Have VCM now.
    material not as solid as Harrop.
    Has plastic tabs to seal in filter between both components. Both top left and top right tabs pop out sometimes between cleaning intervals.
    No leaks however to report like the Harrop.

Both seem to take about the same amount of time to service filter.

Ron Burgundy and monstar like this.
  15. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Any chance of pics of the install with the sound tube plumbing 3RB?

16. 3rspecB

Members Ride:
    TTubrag likes this.
  17. Ron Burgundy

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    Please do

18. Mike__

Mike__ Active Member

Members Ride:
    Vf2ssv
    Murdoch - use a thin smear of grease between the filter and otr housing. My harrop seals perfectly.

I nearly ordered the rotofab unit and did a lot of reading on my options. The rotofab Looks great / held in high regard / filter less susseptible to debris / can replumb the sound enhancer (need to purchase additional tubing). Cost was $700 aus shipped to Perth. Plenty of information on the Chevy ss forums regarding this style airbox.

Worth noting that the rotofab ingests air from the same location as the factory airbox via a much larger mouth where I found there was little if any airflow. Remove the stock airbox and you'll see what I mean. I even went to the extent of setting up an air blower to simiulate some airflow. Kind of defeats the purpose of a Cai so I went the otr route despite downsides as monstar pointed out above as I also wanted to try a mafless tune. I Bought a obd and d/l dash command which I found the AIT's to be more favourable with the otr compared to the oem intake even with the rubber and foam bonnet seals still in tact - discussed leaving the seals in tact with Luke at harrop Perth.

Also Note how the rotofab inlet tube shifts the maf away from the radiator hose

Each to their own just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    426Cuda and monstar like this.
  19. Murdoch

Murdoch Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SSV Wagoon
    Applying grease is what I ended up doing with the harrop.
    I really think I may have had a dud from factory with its sealing issues.

Harrop material certainly is far superior than the vcm one that’s for sure

Mike__ likes this.
  20. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Should EASILY be a warranty issue then Murdoch.... Even if technically outside of warranty period, leaking ducting for a car's air intake system is simply not fit for purpose. Under Australian Consumer Law, you don't even need a warranty to cover products not fit for purpose.
    It's just a phone call to get Harrop to replace the unit.

VS 5.0 likes this.