Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whine with acceleration??

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
forgot to also mention checking your engine earth straps.

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Commodore v6 ecotec
update, this might help find out whats causing it, or not hahaha

on the weekend i did dome work on the ground of the car, i removed the old neg termanal and replaced it with a gold one, put a bigger gauge wire from the neg to the chasis and gave everything a bloody good clean, it worked wonders for my gauges, which were earthd were the stereo was earthd, i re wired the gauges directly to the neg termanal on the new gold bracket (it has 2 holes on it for 18 gauge wire, prseumibly for sterio or accessory grounding) and while i was at it i gave the ground for the stereo another bolldy good clean, filed the metal where it grounds to and the loop that it grounds with, it was nice ans shiney and clean.

however now the noise is worse! its gotten louder, and is more noticable, it was anoying befor but no big deal, not its horrible

im open to any and all suggesgions

i was thinking about grounding direct to the neg termanal (like the gauges) would that stop the whine??

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
+1 for crappy earth at the amplifiers. Is your ground wiring the same gauge as your power wiring?

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
not sure, i think so, when i put in the new HU i just wired the ground to the existing ground and the power to the existing power

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
so you reckon one wire to ground the hu and then run another one to the bat to ground the amps?

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The head-unit ground shouldnt be a big issue, so long as youve bolted/screwed the head-unit in using the standard brackets? If so the head-unit will earth through its chassis and to the mounting brackets etc.

Re-do the earths at the amplifiers. If what you mean by the roof of the boot the underside of the parcel tray then that isnt a good place. A good place is the seat belt bolts for the rear seat, they are nice and chunky to get a solid connection.

Running a dedicated earth wire from the negative battery terminal isnt needed for both youre amps or head-unit.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
What sort of amplifiers are they?

cheers

Simon

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
there vibrant 415 600 watt

last night i moved all but one earth, iv moved the capacator earth to the towing brace the HU to the batt (it was easy to do, and atleast ive eliminated it lol) and the amp that does my 4 speakers inside the car is now earthd to one of the bolts that holds the center seat (tray thingy) in place, i couldnt get to the seatbelt thing, the amp for the sub is still hooked up to the parcle tray but ill move that soon 2, ill prob run it to the other bolt

are these places any good or should i move them?

the whine is far less than it was the other day but its still there

edit: just thought id ad, there is no noise or problem when the system is turned off, it only starts up when i turn on the HU (which turns everything else on) dont know if this means anythining, but the more you know the better i spose

Last edited:

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Cool thanx for that.... ok here is something you may want to try.... if you have a spare set of rca's run them straight from the H/U to the amp and see if you still have noise..... Make sure you disconnect your existing rca's. Remember this is just a test to see if its a signal issue.... Try this and let me know if it makes any difference....
Oh by the way do you have a multimeter?

cheers

Simon

PSYKO PHOENIX

AHHHH brain fart
Reaction score
Members Ride
ill give it a go soon, prob on the weekend

yup i do have a multimeter, its cheep and nasty but it works