Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whinge Time

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't make a habit of posting up whinges but this mornings phone conversation just made me have to do it.

We recently bought a car from NSW and it is currently in transit. The issue is with registration. In WA, the rules have changed a bit regarding registration transfers. If an interstate vehicle comes into WA, the owner can transfer it into WA rego without having it inspected. But there's a catch. The owner has to provide proof of residency in WA for at least 12 months.

The rego on the car is due now, so i thought I'd pay the rego and then transfer it into my name. This is where it gets interesting. My thinking was that the car is garaged in WA so why do I need to pay the ridiculoulsy high CTP insurance for NSW? Over here it is around $30. So a call to RTA ensued. The question was put to them that could I only pay the rego fee without having to pay the CTP, I am told I can't register the car in NSW if it is in WA. I agreed, but I said that I am moving to WA (white lie) with my car and I want to pay the rego first so I can avoid having it inspected over here. She once again tells me that I can't register the car with NSW rego if it is in WA.

By this time I am starting to get a bit annoyed as the woman I am speaking to clearly cannot grasp simple concepts. So I laid it all out for her, I explained the situation about avoiding an inspection and about the new WA rego rules but she just didn't get it. In the end she tells me a flat out NO, I cannot pay the rego without paying the CTP. So I asked her why should I pay the NSW rate of CTP if the car is garaged and driven in WA. She then proceeds to tell me I can't register a car with NSW rego if it is in WA....

Does the RTA have a maximum IQ threshold for employees?

I have come to the realization that I just have to let the NSW rego lapse and then have it inspected and registered here....it will be a lot easier and cheaper.

[/rant]

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
yeah the RTA is stupid. avoid them at all costs

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I had a charming experience with them in the early 90's, when I took my HT 350 Monaro in for original registration after a four year restoration. I had obtained a battered, bare body shell from a previous owner. Over four years, I restored it using parts from wreckers, engine importers and new stock from dealers.

Into the local RTA office. The rego process required the engine number to be read by the inspection station and recorded on the inspection slip. A "Q" was misread as an "O" at the station, so back I had to go to get the inspection certificate altered.

Back to the RTA. Can't make out the JP's signature on the Statutory Declaration, so back to a workmate about 20km away who was the JP, to write his name below his signature. Back to the RTA again.

I had a complete album of the car's rebuild, and receipts for the engine and transmission, as well as the rego papers from the previous owner, plus the amended stat dec, plus the amended inspection certificate. Should be OK now, I thought.

Then it started again.

RTA counter clerk - "Do you have receipts for all the parts?"

Me - "What, every single piece over four years?"

RTAC - "yes, you will need a receipt for every part you purchased"

Me - "What bullshit, you have been sending me away all morning to get this and that fixed up and now you come up with this. I would like to speak to your supervisor please."

Supervisor comes over, and after explaining the situation and showing him the photos, he turned to his staff member and tells her that he has observed me waiting around for nearly four hours and he thought I had been stuffed around enough. It was obvious the car was legitimate and if the papers were in order, the registration should be issued. He was very apologetic. I explained that I too was a Public Service Manager, and if any of my staff had shown the complete lack of in itiative and common sense she had shown, I would have had them on the carpet. In all, hearly half a day of being stuffed around by a dim-witted, non-thinking Public Servant (and before you other PS's get your knickers in a knot, I was one for nearly 39 years) who couldn't see past some f***wit rule book.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
it makes perfect sense to me.. why would they let you register a car in NSW when it is garaged in WA? If you still have a registered address in NSW, then register it to that address and sort it later...... but asking them to register a NSW car to a WA address won't cut it. You can't register somebody elses car in your name either. They also will NOT register a car without CTP insurance.... it's just not going to happen unfortunately. They have rules that they need to abide by, without exception... the system just won't allow it. Calling them stupid because they can't bend the rules to suit you is not really fair.

BecStar

Kickstart My Heart...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Clubsport R8 - Vespers Blue
I had a painful time trying to get my BMW roadworthied and registered after I got it here... well Dad flew down to Victoria and drove it back.. what a champ! Anyway, it was registered in QLD but was driven and garaged in VIC... but since you've gotta sell a registered car with RWC, the chicky I bought it off got a VIC RWC.. which doesn't sit well here in QLD. So before I could register it in my name I had to get a roadworthy... in the meantime I had the bitch from the bank looking for registration paperwork etc etc I know she was only doing her job but there was no need for her to be a CoUNTry to me. So I take it to the local roadworthy station and they fail it... over stupid stupid ****, and over stuff that wasn't even broken or unroadworthy. They failed me for the windscreen having one of those star-chips in it.. it had already been fixed, I thought they'd know better since they fixed windscreens aswell!

Turns out the people who run the joint don't really like my family for some reason so they failed me 3 times! I ended up taking it to a dodgy fella in another town, he didn't even check underneath the car or anything.

I'll be rego'ing it til the SS is back on the road then I'll sell it :-D

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
it makes perfect sense to me.. why would they let you register a car in NSW when it is garaged in WA? If you still have a registered address in NSW, then register it to that address and sort it later...... but asking them to register a NSW car to a WA address won't cut it. You can't register somebody elses car in your name either. They also will NOT register a car without CTP insurance.... it's just not going to happen unfortunately. They have rules that they need to abide by, without exception... the system just won't allow it. Calling them stupid because they can't bend the rules to suit you is not really fair.

Do you work at the RTA? You don't get it either.

The car was going to stay registered to a NSW resident, then I was going to transfer it into my name, thus having a NSW registered car that now resides in WA. And because I am not driving it in NSW, why do I have to pay their high CTP rates? I am willing to pay CTP, but the WA rate as that is where the car will be driving.

Also, the scenario I gave her was that I was the owner and I was moving to WA. When an insured item changes status, the insurance company will either a) charge you the difference, or b) refund the difference of a premium depending on the circumstance. I may have been niave in thinking that CTP insurance could be altered in the same way.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If your trying to dodge the system, pay the bloody CTP.

When you transfer it to your name, you can either have the rego transferred, or start new rego in WA and get a refund for the NSW rego.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Abba fan the cool thing about the RTA. VICROADS etc is that the rules are rarely black and white, so you can pretty much keep ringing and ringing untill you find someone that agrees with your idea on how things should work :)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Stealthy, I'm not trying to dodge the system, I'm trying to make it work for me. Why should I pay the NSW rego and CTP and then get it refunded pro rata when I can just get the car inspected and rego'd here without paying it at all?

I thought it was a logical idea that I could pay the rego then transfer it once it has been here for 12 months. But I guess the system isn't designed to save people money.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
This situation wouldnt surprise me,
The RTA are a organisation where the lights are on but nobody's home!