Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whinges about work...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
LOL class act minux. Love it.

I should have done the same with my employer when I was an apprentice. Especially since they really were a dangerous workplace. They had really stupid habits like removing guards from the machines "because they slow you down"... dodgy stuff like that. Another apprentice there, a third year, was already missing one third of the middle finger on his right hand as a result of a guard being removed.

To think that I got abused for putting the guards back on the machines before I used them! :bang:

Any employer who removes safety guards from machines "because they slow you down" need their heads read! If that happens in your workplace, you can ring worksafe (at least in victoria you can) anonymously and they will send an inspector to audit the site.

If there is an accident, senior managers and company directors can (and do) go to jail for things like what you have described.

Reaper

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
I agree with 89vncommy, keep your boss's boss happy and life gets a little eaiser, though admitably its a lot of work for a small payoff, but looking at it the other way, if you let go of the rope and then eventually the top honcho will slowly throw bricks down the chain till you get struck.

if anything good money or not i would hate to be in a mangement position. as i see it being in middle management you have to deal with the most ****. im happy being a mindless peon TBH, the pay isnt the best, i'll admit that anyday but atleast the work is easy, you get given what to do on a silver platter, you make sure you do it and try not to make a mess, heck bonus points for makign its squeaky clean, and then get a new platter.

simple.

now if only my work ethic was a little better but in all honesty calling a customer back to see how their issue is going when its obvious it isnt goign well, and there isnt much on my end i can do ( either waiting on customer to come to a decision ) does add a touch of "le sigh, do I have to?" but then again its balanced by the other end of the scale, the people who you throw the extra yard in for and they love you for it, they are the perks of my job.

oh and throwing foam footballs around whilst on calls lol, had to fight hard to hold back from laughing while helping a customer

Doubleshadow

Too much is not enuff!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Nice attitude

I agree with 89vncommy, keep your boss's boss happy and life gets a little eaiser, though admitably its a lot of work for a small payoff, but looking at it the other way, if you let go of the rope and then eventually the top honcho will slowly throw bricks down the chain till you get struck.

if anything good money or not i would hate to be in a mangement position. as i see it being in middle management you have to deal with the most ****. im happy being a mindless peon TBH, the pay isnt the best, i'll admit that anyday but atleast the work is easy, you get given what to do on a silver platter, you make sure you do it and try not to make a mess, heck bonus points for makign its squeaky clean, and then get a new platter.

simple.

now if only my work ethic was a little better but in all honesty calling a customer back to see how their issue is going when its obvious it isnt goign well, and there isnt much on my end i can do ( either waiting on customer to come to a decision ) does add a touch of "le sigh, do I have to?" but then again its balanced by the other end of the scale, the people who you throw the extra yard in for and they love you for it, they are the perks of my job.

oh and throwing foam footballs around whilst on calls lol, had to fight hard to hold back from laughing while helping a customer

What a lot of us do not realize is that it is not the work that kills us, it is the stress. An adversal workplace makes work seems a lot harder. Stress is more responsible for diseases than actual germ/bacteria/health. But let's not get sidetracked. If we all work to elevate the work environment to a less stressful state, things would be a whole lot easier for everyone. Most experienced workers would tell you, they would rather do hard work without people/politics stresses, than do easy work in a stressful environment.

I know I am being utopian, but if we are exploring the possibilities, might as well shoot for the ideal.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
LOL come to think of it, has anyone heard of the FISH program?? My work is into it in a huge way and its obscene the crap that goes on. We have a pretty good time here and always laugh and joke and muck around and for that reason its a great place to work, but the corporate knobs have decided that this is all thanks to their FISH BS and are singing its praises... its obscene hehe.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride

Management is just like any other job. It's not something everybody can do but it can be very rewarding. In many respects it's like coaching your local sporting team - trying to achieve something thru others. You have to deal with *everything* that happens - blokes being late, not turningup, disagreements between co-workers and/or customers, foul ups, the guy who turns up with a bad attitude because he had a fight with the mrs last night etc etc etc.

You need to be a diplomat, salesman, bastard, strategist (sp?), psychologist and have a working knowledge of the legal and taxation systems plus a good "gut instinct" for business.

The plus side for me is the satisfaction of watching the system working like a well oiled machine, knowing that I have managed to get everybody working together at their maximum. Yeah the pay is great but that is secondary for most.

Think of a train set with tracks going everywere crossing backwards and forwards. Now put on a couple of trains. Getting them to run smoothly without crashing is pretty easy. Now add 30 trains, all running flat out crossing each other with only mm to spare, never once running into each other. Imagine how good it would feel to get that set running to perfection. That is what top management is (except we are always trying to add that extra train to do even better :).

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL come to think of it, has anyone heard of the FISH program?? My work is into it in a huge way and its obscene the crap that goes on. We have a pretty good time here and always laugh and joke and muck around and for that reason its a great place to work, but the corporate knobs have decided that this is all thanks to their FISH BS and are singing its praises... its obscene hehe.

??? Never heard of that one. There are countless amounts of "warm and fuzzy" programs around that do little more than make whoever is pedling them a lot of money. The best way I have found to get top morale and motivation is to treat people with respect and the odd company bbq once in a while.

Give the guys who aren't pulling their weight fair warning and then cut them loose. The others respect you and are usually supportive if you have to make a hard decision.

Reaper

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Management is just like any other job. It's not something everybody can do but it can be very rewarding. ( yada yada )

You need to be a diplomat, salesman, bastard, strategist (sp?), psychologist and have a working knowledge of the legal and taxation systems plus a good "gut instinct" for business.

exactly, im a shocking strategist lol

also was never really brought up being very ambitious, im a peon and i live under a rock. its cozy.

but in a way thats what makes me a good worker, im content to just get my stuff done. I'm not a yes man by anymeans but i make an excelent follower, leadership just isnt in me.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
exactly, im a shocking strategist lol

also was never really brought up being very ambitious, im a peon and i live under a rock. its cozy.

but in a way thats what makes me a good worker, im content to just get my stuff done. I'm not a yes man by anymeans but i make an excelent follower, leadership just isnt in me.

Hehehe your way in front of 80% of the population if you recognise what you are good at (or more importantly not good at) and stick to it! Go for what you like doing. Don't worry about the perceived status of it - it's bs anyway.

Good luck

Reaper