Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whinges about work...

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
ok ive bin at this same place for nearly 9 months ( i work at a sawmill) ive put up with alot there (underpaid, overworked and nothing i can do about it...) but lately its getting worse guys who have bin there not even half as long as me are getting promoted just because the boss likes them more, seriously why would anyone promote people who are late for work, dont come in all the time, etc over someone whos there early everyday and clocks out late, grr this drives me up the wall i get jibbed on being promoted and even worse i was going to get an apprenticeship there, they gave it too the same person who i mentioned above, hes younger and gets paid more then me... grr im starting to doubt the new laws giving bosses, etc more rights are good...

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Trouble is those things are extremely difficult to prove... you know it and they know it but theres little that can be done about it. I've been in a similar situation and the only solution in the end was to quit and find a better employer. In the end their profits will suffer because they hired the lesser employee, but you cant make them see it so the only thing to do is find somewhere better to work unfortunately.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah just bout the only thing u can do is try make sure u do everything possible to make u look good n try n sabotage the other fella so u can get the premotion to his spot....

Would be hard to do in a sawmill but if tha boss is playin favorites u gotta do sumfink bout it b4 u get rorted

Reaction score
Members Ride
bike :P
already bin rorted, looking for another job atm not much work here tho =(

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
vote with ya feet,

i left a good job for something "better" only to find out a few months in that the place was a disoragnised mess instead of the picture of professionalism they painted for me. they canned my overtime and wouldnt give me more staff..
in the end i said bye bye
I knew that leaving would create problems for them so I did as they cost me quite a bit of cash.

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Don't take this the wrong way VP_commo_driver ... but ...

I am an employer, and see a lot of people cry out favouritism where I work, and quite frankly it pisses me off.... We try our hardest to not look like we are playing favourites, and even go out of our way to make sure we are not doing anything that could be perceived as favouritism. Very frustrating !!! :(

I know with my management style, 2 of the most important things I look at are punctuality, and reliability. If a team member can not demonstrate those 2 key trait's then all others will get more of my time to help them develop. I have some people here that I hire, and within 6 months of employment they are performing better then some of the team members that have been here from 1-5 years. I have helped assist those team members and moved them on, and the older tenured people scream out "favouritism".

At the end of the day, most companies are "Pay for performance" as oppose to the old Public Servant jobs where it was "Pay for Tenure".

I am not saying you are not performing, but have you tried to speak with your boss to find out (constructively and pro-actively) what you may need to do to show the skills that these others may have... I have monthly 1 on 1 coaching and feedback sessions where I discuss performance of the individuals, and let them know how their results are comparing to the team average. And talk about any issues I may have, or the employee may have that they wish to discuss. It is either a formal or informal discussion, and the team member sets the tone and pace of the 1 on 1.

If addressing the issue with your manager does not work, then yes, maybe it is a favouritism issue... I do know that in my years of work I have seen a pretty small percentage of people only promoted because the get along with the boss. But these people end up falling flat on their arse because the people under them can't perform. I have seen the managers "moved on" and the employees then follow the same process when a new manager takes over.

I was always taught the golden rule to management is to promote people that will be able to take your place. And the easiest way to keep your boss happy, is to keep his boss off his back ...

But anyway, my rant is over... I hope it all improves for you, but as the others have said... If you don't think the job is working, then just walk and let the fall down.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yeah just bout the only thing u can do is try make sure u do everything possible to make u look good n try n sabotage the other fella so u can get the premotion to his spot....

Would be hard to do in a sawmill but if tha boss is playin favorites u gotta do sumfink bout it b4 u get rorted

yeah - great idea einstein - just imagine how great you are going to look when you get caught sabotaging the other guy. It's always the other guys' fault you were passed over for promotion - it's time to get revenge!

I really hope your post was supposed to be a joke.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ok ive bin at this same place for nearly 9 months ( i work at a sawmill) ive put up with alot there (underpaid, overworked and nothing i can do about it...)

We are all overworked and underpaid. Fact of life - get used to it!

but lately its getting worse guys who have bin there not even half as long as me are getting promoted just because the boss likes them more, seriously why would anyone promote people who are late for work, dont come in all the time, etc over someone whos there early everyday and clocks out late, grr this drives me up the wall i get jibbed on being promoted and even worse i was going to get an apprenticeship there, they gave it too the same person who i mentioned above, hes younger and gets paid more then me... grr im starting to doubt the new laws giving bosses, etc more rights are good...

As I posted in an un-employment thread. The *ONLY* person responsible for your predicament is you. So you missed out on some promotion - you can take your attitude that it's favoritism or on the other hand, maybe that guy is able to do something that you can't.

Even if he is late every day, he might have some skill that outranks his tardiness. Yep he is 15 min late each day but manages to put out in his 7.75 hours (or whatever) what a normal guy takes 15 hours to do. That could be one example.

I'd take the attiude - I missed out this time, lets see what could have caused it. I wouldn't bother asking (you probably won't get a complete answer anyway), just observe - what do my co-workers/managers/everybody do that is better than me? When you see something just try and work on one thing at a time.

An example might be how the guy talks to people. Some people are instantly engaging and seem to get along with everybody whilst others struggle to get along with their own cat. Just observe how this person acts when they are near - It could be as simple as a broad smile and a confident "hi - how are you?" when they meet somebody or it could be deeper. Just work on 1 thing at a time and you will be suprised at how quickly things change. I wound up managing a factory of 35 guys when I was 22 yo by taking this attitude.

Also remember - some jobs are just not for you. Imagine you are an apple in a bowl of fruit. You might be the best looking/tasting apple ever grown but if somebody wants an orange, you are just not going to get the gig. No big deal - somebody who wants an apple will come along eventually. In the mean time, try and learn from the experience and keep a positive attitude.

Oh - don't stress about how much you are paid relative to your co-workers. I started at 19 paid a ton less than everybody else in the place. I knew it at the time but didn't pay it much attention. Now I'm paid around 3x what everybody else here earns. I don't worry what the next guy gets - that means I'd have to take too much of a pay cut to make it equal :D

Reaper

89vncommy

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VN Caladore
Also remember - some jobs are just not for you. Imagine you are an apple in a bowl of fruit. You might be the best looking/tasting apple ever grown but if somebody wants an orange, you are just not going to get the gig. No big deal - somebody who wants an apple will come along eventually. In the mean time, try and learn from the experience and keep a positive attitude.
Reaper

That is so true ... I like that one ... :yeah:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
yeah - great idea einstein - just imagine how great you are going to look when you get caught sabotaging the other guy. It's always the other guys' fault you were passed over for promotion - it's time to get revenge!

I really hope your post was supposed to be a joke.

Reaper

Reaper - Yeah first part of post wasnt joke but yeah the sabotage bit was, i didnt even think i rote that...

VP_Commo - I would just work as hard as you can and ask your boss what area's they think u could improve in.

If they dont give you a good talk on how u could improve, it would seem they dont need any improvment from you and that they are happy with how you are working at the moment, good for them but not for you if u are look for a promo.

Sorry about the stupid post sabotage wasnt a good choice of wording.

Spell checked

Last edited: