Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whining noise when ignition on

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
was trying to start a VL 6 and got a loud whining noise from somewhere under the dash when the ign was turned on but it stopped when the starter motor was cranking
it wasnt from the engine compartment and it wasnt the fuel pumps
any suggestions?

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
what side of the dash?

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
harry3 said:
was trying to start a VL 6 and got a loud whining noise from somewhere under the dash when the ign was turned on but it stopped when the starter motor was cranking
any suggestions?
Probably a cat under the dash and when you operate the starter it scares the c**p out of it and it shuts up. Well you did ask for any suggestions.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Sounds like the fuel system priming to me. does it stop after 5 seconds without starting the car just leaving it "on".

I have not heard of vl dash's making any kind of noise but the VK calais "starwars" dash would beep ya to death.

I will check the manual later to see if there is any kind of buzzer warning or something like that in VL's.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
harry3 said:
any suggestions?
It might be an instrument voltage stablizer oscilating and when the engine starter is operated the battery voltage falls so it nolonger has to reduce the 12volts to that of instrument requirement usually 10volts. As soon as the engine starts the voltage is much higher so the oscilation frequency is changed or other noises mask the oscilation. Just a theory mind and it depends on there being a voltage stabilizer on this model and if it works on the bimetal principle.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
Don Sutton said:
It might be an instrument voltage stablizer oscilating and when the engine starter is operated the battery voltage falls so it nolonger has to reduce the 12volts to that of instrument requirement usually 10volts. As soon as the engine starts the voltage is much higher so the oscilation frequency is changed or other noises mask the oscilation. Just a theory mind and it depends on there being a voltage stabilizer on this model and if it works on the bimetal principle.

i think i speak for everyone when i say "HUH?"