Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whining noise

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VZ Berlina 2006
Hi I have this whining noise sound like its coming from the dash any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Difficult to analyse without seeing it however does it sound like wind rushing through a partly closed vent ? perhaps your activating solenoid that controls air intake vents may be faulty ! Good luck.

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Difficult to analyse without seeing it however does it sound like wind rushing through a partly closed vent ? perhaps your activating solenoid that controls air intake vents may be faulty ! Good luck.
I tried uploading a sound recording with the post but it failed. and no its more like a vacuum cleaner but a lot higher or a mosquito but louder

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Does it happen at start up and then go away?
Is the car idling ok?
Do the vents change ok?
Is this happening with or without the air con on?

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it happen at start up and then go away?
Is the car idling ok?
Do the vents change ok?
Is this happening with or without the air con on?
Noting to do with start up.
She idles good for a car that has done 261000 there is a slight flicker of the RPM meter but noting to worry about and a slight shake but noting to complain about.
interesting that you mention the AC and vents, I hardly use the AC so I did not notice but the vents wont change off the dash window setting till now.
with the AC on or off tried that last time it come on to see if it could help.
is there a way to upload audio?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Noting to do with start up.
She idles good for a car that has done 261000 there is a slight flicker of the RPM meter but noting to worry about and a slight shake but noting to complain about.
interesting that you mention the AC and vents, I hardly use the AC so I did not notice but the vents wont change off the dash window setting till now.
with the AC on or off tried that last time it come on to see if it could help.
is there a way to upload audio?
Sounds like the air con vacuum system manifold or lines are leaking or vac too low to operate actuators. If you are fortunate could be just lack of vac from engine due to blocked line or NR valve in vac line from intake. My VZ defaulted to air on dash only when vac from engine dropped e.g. when car travelling in load uphill. This meant taking dashboard out to access the manifold, so never fixed it. Sold car in meantime.

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like the air con vacuum system manifold or lines are leaking or vac too low to operate actuators. If you are fortunate could be just lack of vac from engine due to blocked line or NR valve in vac line from intake. My VZ defaulted to air on dash only when vac from engine dropped e.g. when car travelling in load uphill. This meant taking dashboard out to access the manifold, so never fixed it. Sold car in meantime.

The AC vents change now so Im not sure whats going on now
good to know that tho could be something to go off.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
The AC vents change now so Im not sure whats going on now
good to know that tho could be something to go off.
Check when accelerating uphill as an example - do the vents change air direction to dash only? That will show if there is a vacuum leak in a/c switching system (hoese or manifold). Used to give me the sh!ts.

OCO0012

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check when accelerating uphill as an example - do the vents change air direction to dash only? That will show if there is a vacuum leak in a/c switching system (hoese or manifold). Used to give me the sh!ts.
its working now can switch vents and it did not change when going up the hills at 45 degrees so I don't know what is going on there. I checked no manifold leak.
what do you mean when you said (This meant taking dashboard out to access the manifold, so never fixed it.)
the manifold is under the rocket cover in the engine bay? it should have only taken 10 to get to.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
its working now can switch vents and it did not change when going up the hills at 45 degrees so I don't know what is going on there. I checked no manifold leak.
what do you mean when you said (This meant taking dashboard out to access the manifold, so never fixed it.)
the manifold is under the rocket cover in the engine bay? it should have only taken 10 to get to.
Yep correct the engine intake manifold is under the bonnet. I meant the vacuum reservoir manifold inside the dashboard. Best left well alone if you can find the whining elsewhere.