Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whining when starting to move

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
hey folks, this has me puzzled

my car starts to whine just as its starts to move (e.g when snails pace, wheels are barley moving.)

when the wheels start moving it stops.
it started happening about 2 weeks ago

i also noticed it also happens when i change gears (with my foot on the brake, but i've had to moved a car abit for this to happen)
when i have my hand brake up, foot off brake it doesn't happen

i replaced the brakes pads in mid April done the bedding period, but as mentioned, it just started recently.
i've taken out the pads and put them back in (after spraying with some brake cleaner & on the drums aswell), checked for air in brake lines, all good but it still whines.

i got my mate over who knows more then me, said the springs might need to be changed (because when changing gears with foot on brakes, the car goes up abit in D and down in R)
he says since the cars clocked 152XXX, it will need new ones but even he isn't 100% sure.

i'll have to check when the last service by holden was done.

i noticed that when spinning the one of rear wheels while jacked, the drive shaft squeaks, but barley noticeable. its a rear live axle

help me out fellas, its driving me nuts :realangry

Last edited:

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
it had a full service from when my folks bought it new to 11/11/04
odometer was at 12009X, then I'm guessing that was when it started its life in storage till i started driving it last year, i've done a couple of engine services on it. eg, oil+filter change, new sparkplugs+leads, etc

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Excuse these questions but I'm an old bugger....pls explain the "whine" a bit more also what do you mean when you say the driveshaft "squirts". Which spring(s) is your mate referring to. Finally I don't savvy how you can change gears in an auto with the brakes on.

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
*by whine, it sounds like the 2 pieces of metal are rubbing against each other, (not squeaking but like their rubbing really hard against each other)

*drive shaft i mean its squeak, sorry about the typo, clicked wrong one in spellcheck:bang:

*rear springs

*i keep my foot on the brake, start the car, put the hand brake down, put gear knob in D, then in R

i might record a short vid tomorrow and post that up if that helps

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Could be just the brake pads dragging - once the car moves they get pushed back (they only need a fraction of a whiskers clearance). Check that the calipers can slide easily - if they stick they will cause the pads to drag.
The squeak may be a dry uni joint - check to see if there is any free play in them - there should be nil.
Springs should last the life of the car unless the car has carried heavy loads and then they will just bottom out on big bumps.
Finally check the rear engine mout - the one at the back of the trans - grab a hold of it and see if you can move it up/down/sideways - sometimes they get oil-soaked and go very mushy allowing the trans to move sideways when going from D to N to R.
Good Luck.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Also if you fitted pads that have a lot of metal in them they can make a scraping sound.
Try jacking a front wheel up and slowly rotate the wheel to see if it scrapes.

HRVATSKI_VOJNIK

a.k.a KRIS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6
well i jacked it up today,
the front wheels spin freely without any noise,
but when i spin my rears slowly you can hear a slight "scraping" noise, when i spin them faster, it stops.

plus when i have the hand brake down, in Neutral and not pressing the brakes, you can hear it as the cars slowly moving.

(our garage floor is slightly elevated then our drive way)

the pads are Ferodo Zero brake pads.

so maybe they need to bed in abit more?

p.s i made a short vid but you can't hear the whining :bang:

hsvpunk

volunteer firefighter
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss II M6
you may find that 'whine' or scrape or whatever you would like to call it.
Could
A: be wheel bearings are shagged.
B: your brake caliper itself, the piston that pushes the pad to the rotor could have cocked itself, by that i mean on an angle, and makes one side of pad wear doen alot quicker.