Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whinning Noise

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I just cant seem to get rid of this whinning noise!!

I own a VR acclaim i have a pioneer HU with 2 sets of RCAs running to a Custic 4 channel amp, the JL splits at the front and the Kicker sub are connected to the amp, with JL 6" in the rears running off the HU.
The RCAs and the power cable are running away from each other on both sides of the car, the earth is connected to where the back seats are screwed into the chasis of the car (the drivers side rear seat). I have sanded it down and the screw is screwed in quite tightly and securely to make sure there is proper contact but i still have the whinning noise, i tired the other side (passenger side rear seat) and still the same problem. I dont have many other close ground points and i'm left clueless on what to do, from what i can gather it seems as if the actual metal im grounding it to is just not a good conducter.

Any one else out there with a VR or VS with similar problems?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What model Pioneer head unit? They have an internal fuse on the RCA ground track which can blow if the RCA's are unplugged or plugged in while the stereo has power and for a range of other reasons, that will cause engine noise.

You can test if it is that in a couple of ways;
You can take the head unit out completely and test the resistance or continuity from the head unit shell/chassis to the outer ring of the RCA sockets. They should both be ground, so there should be no resistance or a constant beep on the continuity test.
If you don't have a multimeter, you can leave head unit connected, just pull it out so you can get to the RCA plugs/leads... Get a bit of wire and strip the ends, touch one end to the head unit's shell/chassis and the other end to the outer ring of the RCA sockets, while your RCA's are still plugged in. Then get someone to turn the car and stereo on to see if the noise is still present.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
check your rca's there the main cause of it try rinning them the oposite way so if u have a straight end and a bent end sawp them so the straight end is were the bent end was n vice verca and make sure there pushed in tight

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You're not saying to turn the RCA's around are you? That is an old joke... RCA's are not directional.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i no there not directional fool the ends fit tighter sometimes like what happened with mine 1 was there was whine the other there wasnt because they were a better fit so no noise. i no there not directional

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
Hey make sure you Rcas are not running with your power cables this can be a big cause of the noise. Rcas should be on one side of the car and power, remore cables shoudl be the other side. They can cause interferance. Also maybe try running a noise filter, that can help a bit.
Another question what type of rcas are they some cheaper ones will always have the noise, when other more expensive ones, eg. stinger will not have the noise. I have had a few problems with noise through speakers and I used a noise filter and it stopped most noise but then i changed from audioline rcas to stinger and no more noise.
Also some rcas have an earth cable coming out either end and when connect to an earth the noise can stop.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
StoneX said:
What model Pioneer head unit? They have an internal fuse on the RCA ground track which can blow if the RCA's are unplugged or plugged in while the stereo has power and for a range of other reasons, that will cause engine noise.
stone plus blown pioneer ground track, pure magic!
personally i would put it down to crap grounding somewhere causing a ground loop if the blown ground track is not blown.
as for you brohawk calm down, not everyone hates you!

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
i have a pioneer head deck DEH-7650mp n i had the noise in my car i got the grounding track replaced and it stopped apparently pioneer has this problem alot with there head units dunno y

tho i have a question is there only 1 grounding track inside there????

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What do you mean is there only one ground track? There is ground tracks everywhere, but only one for the RCA's as there should be nothing flowing through it as it is GROUND. The reason it burns is because people cause current to flow onto it...

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
StoneX said:
What do you mean is there only one ground track? There is ground tracks everywhere, but only one for the RCA's as there should be nothing flowing through it as it is GROUND. The reason it burns is because people cause current to flow onto it...

well i wasnt sure how many there was inside the head unit as wen i got mine replaced the bloke said he only replaced 1 of the grounding tracks i assume that means the rca 1ns???

so those other tracks cant get burnt out in ne way like the rca 1??? and how much did use pay 2 get 1 replaced???