Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whirring Noise - Power Steering Pump???

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
I have a whirring noise on my vs 97. I went to the mechanic and he said you need the water pump replaced and the belt tensioner replaced as well as a single bearing. He said there is a noise coming from all three. I replaced the belt tensioner and water pump as well as the bearing myself, believeing the noise would be gone. BUT ITS NOT!!!

The noise is a whirring type noise however is not consistent in terms of when it comes on and goes off. The noise seems to be independent of revs. I am thinking it might be the power steering pump, but i dont want to have to keep replaceing **** and the problem be still there.

Any ideas/solutions.

Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
How's your steering fluid level?

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
How's your steering fluid level?

the steering fluid level is about 3/4 full. there is actually two noises, a whirring noise. then there is a like really fast high pitch tick tick tick tick and seems to be inconsistent with the revs to some extent. however the whirring noise at times seems to be consistent with the revs.

cannot put my finger on it at all

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Does the whirring noise change when the steering is turned (engine idling)

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
No the noise doesnt seem to change. but when the car is in park and i turn the wheel fully each way i do hear a strong clicking noise as i turn it fully. then if i take the belt of and just manually turn the power steering pully with my hand there is a clicking noise. i dont know if this is normal with this pulley or not though

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don't think it should have that clicking noise - I'll pull my belt in the morning and see if my pump has that click and post back unless someone else has an idea.
Old Chinese proverb: clicks usually turn into clunks!

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
ok thanks. its just wierd that i have a clicking type noise and a whirring noise. i have replaced the water pump idler, belt tensioner and a seperate pulley - everythign the mechanic told me that i neeeded done. ahhhhh

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
just found a consistencey in the noise. as soon as i start to break even if i start to break softly the noise will dramatically decrease if not it will completely stop

Blonk92

Blonk 95 VR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2 3.8L
No the noise doesnt seem to change. but when the car is in park and i turn the wheel fully each way i do hear a strong clicking noise as i turn it fully. then if i take the belt of and just manually turn the power steering pully with my hand there is a clicking noise. i dont know if this is normal with this pulley or not though

i had the same problem with my VR it seemed to be the power steering pump, replace that only $30 - $40 from wreckers. the tapping noise could be just your injectors. but check harmonic balancer for any damage... as this also could be where the tapping is coming from.. just a thought

northqueenslandvs97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive Series 2
Thanks mate. Ill go get a power steering pump from the wreckers should do the job. Ill check the harmonic balancer as well for any damage. cheers