Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whistling intake

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
my vp made that noise from my exhaust manifold.
sounded like it had a BOV when i let go of the accerator!!

heh my middle muffler ( with all its holes ) did the same thing a couple of times i couldnt stop laughing TBH, but then i got my cat back now its a nice vocal track of my slow NA 6 ^_^

Jon Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series 2
When my vs v6 revs up to about 2500rpm it starts to make a whistling sound then disapears and comes back again at about 4000ish but if i go WOT you can bearly hear it and this is with a stock filter in a box, its even loader with a pod filter on. I have removed the plem to change the injectors/o rings and the rubber gaskets that seal the plem to the intake runners seam to be in good condition, the car is also running rich with a bit of fuel comming out of the exhaust. I'm out of ideas and any help would be appreciated.

I also had the same noise and thought it was on the intake side of the engine but then i removed my rear muffler and the noise became even louder, at first it was like a turbo spooling up but then it started to sound like absolute S**t. I then fitted a cat-back exhaust and the problem was gone which was surprising as i was convinced it was something in the intake, but im pretty sure now that it was the gasket where the exhaust meats the cat converter.

guyver6

Reaction score
Website
mmgn.com
Members Ride
VZ Clubsport R8
just got my manifold pressure tested and its not leakinging so it not vacuume leak. I used to have a steel intake pipe with a rampod on it but now i've put it all back to standard appart from a k&n and cai which has reduced the noise but its still there driving me nuts.
Jon z you might be into something there with the exhaust i'll find a way to get under there, it's a bit low, although i have got complete sport system with extractors and hiflo cat.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
an exhaust gas leak can cause whistling as well, thats how the inspections guy check for leaks at the local inspection joint they just listen as they walk down the pit under the car. the missus VS has a slight leak at the flexi joint went it's cold but goes away as it heats up and is the reason they have never pinged me for it. but i recon it sounds more like an old massey furgeson tractor when it does leak

9C1pack

Reaction score
Hey guys be sure it's not just ur MAF sensor ur hearing. They're pretty loud on Vs v6's
Mick, is there a difference betwen the VS2 and VT2, as the VS2 I just bought has a whistling sound at idle from the passenger side front of the engine, whereas I have never noticed it on my VT. I was thinking it may be belt pulleys or bearings or something, but your MAF suggestion has me wondering.
What is a MAF, some kind of air temperture sensor?