Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

whistling noise in the mornings

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
hey everyone, recently my vx s2 has developed a whistling noise in the mornings. its difficult to describe the noise in words but its most definatly coming from the engine, i dont really notice a difference in performance but then again i never take it past 2500rpm when its cold. the noise seems consistent with the rpm (as the rpm goes up, the noise gets louder) once the engine is warmed up the noise goes away. its had me stumped and i havent had a chance to take it down the mechanic as i've been flat out at work the past few weeks and will be for the next few weeks :(

if anyone has any ideas of what it could be, that would be great. i'd like to know whether this is a serious issue or not because if it is i'll have to take a day off work to get it seen to.

also im hearing a ticking noise as i drive, it seems to be consistant with the rolling speed of the car. i origanally thought it could have been a stone in the tyre as i just got new tyres put on but that doesent seem to be the case. it sounds like the noise is coming from my transmission.

any advice on these issues is MUCH appreciated!!!! thanks heaps in advance :)

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Sometimes the serpentine belt can make a noise. To check, spray a bit of silicone spray on the belt as it is turning, if the noise stops then it is the belt. It's not a serious problem, just spray some more on when the noise returns. If the noise persists, then it could be one of the pulleys.Make sure your belt is in good condition. If you don't have any silicone spray just drip some water onto the belt to see if the noise stops.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
ilovemyvx said:
hey everyone, recently my vx s2 has developed a whistling noise in the mornings. its difficult to describe the noise in words but its most definatly coming from the engine, i dont really notice a difference in performance but then again i never take it past 2500rpm when its cold. the noise seems consistent with the rpm (as the rpm goes up, the noise gets louder) once the engine is warmed up the noise goes away. its had me stumped and i havent had a chance to take it down the mechanic as i've been flat out at work the past few weeks and will be for the next few weeks :(

if anyone has any ideas of what it could be, that would be great. i'd like to know whether this is a serious issue or not because if it is i'll have to take a day off work to get it seen to.

also im hearing a ticking noise as i drive, it seems to be consistant with the rolling speed of the car. i origanally thought it could have been a stone in the tyre as i just got new tyres put on but that doesent seem to be the case. it sounds like the noise is coming from my transmission.

any advice on these issues is MUCH appreciated!!!! thanks heaps in advance :)
How long does it take before the whistling noise goes? Someone else has posted serpentine belt as a possible but if it is a short time it might also be the alternator putting out full output until the battery voltage rises a little.
Ticking noise could also be disc brake pads moving up and down in the callipers. They should not move but if they have a spring or the keeper plate holds them in the wheel rotation direction they can move if the disc rotor is warped or varies in thickness.

ilovemyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
i well definatly try that tomorrow morning accentstencil, i dont have silicon spray but i will try the water idea and see if the belt is causing it. its not a belt squeel though, its a bit different i just dont know how to describe it in words :(

don sutton: it usually takes a few minutes for the noise to go away, i just realised i had forgotton to tape up my 12v from the battery, i took the amp out and completly forgot to tape up the end of the 12v, it was only touching the carpet though but im hoping it hasnt somehow shorted out the battery.

i have a feeling you are right about the disk pads, i know my rotor's are warped so that could very well be the cause :( thanks alot for your advice people i look into the problems a bit more when i got time and get back to you.

and this is my car, just so you know what your helping someone fix :) i dont know how to make it smaller, sorry :( thanks again fellas

btw its running on fe2 springs and the heart is a chipped ecotech. hopefully in the near future i'll have some superlow king springs in there and extractors

img0338mh4.jpg