Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

White smoke and an overheating months back. Please read and give opinion

irocktohard312

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
So i was in an accident earlier this year (around February if I remember correctly). It wasn't a write off and i got my sv6 (LLT) fixed. Mechanically, all it needed was a new radiator as I had front end damage. The place that RAC insurance got the car repaired at (Mandurah Panel and Paint) took about a month to do it, but oh well. When i got the car back the first thing I had to do was go to the doctors. I realised there was something leaking when I came back out, but thought it would be alright to drive home (stupid idea i know but im young and it wasn't far). Anyway, I got about half way home and my car went into safe mode. It overheated. I took the car straight back to the repair shop, and they said they had forgotton to put a radiator hose clamp on properely, causing fluid to leak and my engine to overheat.

Would safe mode have saved it?
Its been a good 6 months, but can damage only become apparent after a while (mainly referring to head gasket, and other cylinder head problems caused by overheating).
I have also noticed recently a bit of white vapour (i think it is steam rather than smoke because it is pretty clear but i may be wrong, as i said im young so dont slam me); but I have only noticed this when it is cold out, especially when its been raining.
If so what do you think I should do?

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is the car still getting hot? Is the car still using water?

The symptoms you have posted seem to suggest it is normal, as the smoke you notice is only when it is cold, rather than a continual stream

A continual stream would suggest some internal damage as you think, which would be best diagnosied by a decent mechanic....

To find a decent mechanic, I would suggest enquiring on here, giving an area guide where you would like to travel to

irocktohard312

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SV6
Is the car still getting hot? Is the car still using water?

The symptoms you have posted seem to suggest it is normal, as the smoke you notice is only when it is cold, rather than a continual stream

A continual stream would suggest some internal damage as you think, which would be best diagnosied by a decent mechanic....

To find a decent mechanic, I would suggest enquiring on here, giving an area guide where you would like to travel to

Hey mate
It just sits up at ~90 degrees C (middle of thermostat) constantly after it has been warmed up. I think it should be fine, though i have a few other questions if you know much about the LLT engines? I have this little thing on the drivers side of my engine, just above the coilpacks. Its been making a noticeably loud ticking sound which has appeared only recently.

These pictures are from the LFX engine but im 95% sure its the same thing. Any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• CRACKED VACUUM LINES.jpg
    CRACKED VACUUM LINES.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 136
  • how-change-spark-plugs-ve-vf-holden-commodore-3.6-lfx-sidi-engine-ngk-iridium-iltr6e11-90117-l...jpg
    how-change-spark-plugs-ve-vf-holden-commodore-3.6-lfx-sidi-engine-ngk-iridium-iltr6e11-90117-l...jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 85
  • how-change-spark-plugs-ve-vf-holden-commodore-3.6-lfx-sidi-engine-ngk-iridium-iltr6e11-90117-l...jpg
    how-change-spark-plugs-ve-vf-holden-commodore-3.6-lfx-sidi-engine-ngk-iridium-iltr6e11-90117-l...jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 83
    196 KB · Views: 87