Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

White Wall/Coloured Walled Tires

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hai guys i wasnt sure where my querie would fit on the forum and because it really includes VB-VE owners i'd post it here

Its in regard to white wall/coloured walls on tires

November last year i decided to go for a set of white walls to set my newly restored simmons off it looked nice for all of about a week the white was super bright and the tire shine he had on looked amazing.

The car is hardly driven & days went on and i started to notice the colour changing... frm white to a yellow brown (black frm the tire bleeding through?) and the tire black turned the tire's a really off pastey colour

my question is for anyone who has white or coloured walls is this the norm? am i just going to have to pay to have the guy come back every month to have em re-done? or should the walls be lasting longer?

I just would have thought because the cars driven prob twice a month it would last alot longer!

cheers guys

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
it all depends on what material the tyre is made of and what sort of tyre shine you use as some will dull it worse then others but it is normal for them to fade and make sure it you do shine the tyres alot get a water based one because it wont dull it as bad as different based ones

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
yeah they werent the most expensive tires... & i asked the guy if i wanted to shine up the tires again what do i use? and he said only use leather and vinyl protector not any tire shine :/ maybe i should try someone different who are people in adelaide going too?

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
the issue is that you are using tire shine

tire shine will always fade the whitewalls and turn them yellowy.. if the whitewaller told you not to use tire shine then why did you? if you want to make your whitewalls last longer then dont use tire shine anymore

clean them frequently with vinyl protecter or similar to maintain them

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
last time i got mine done they lasted about 6months or so, didnt use any tyre shine just washed them when i washed the car every week and that was about it...been ages since ive had whitewalls on i dont think ill be doin them again though,

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
VLC86 no where in my last thread did i say i had used tire shine the only tire shine that has been applied is the shine that the white waller used the day he did it & he told me never to use tire shine only a vinyl protector which i found strange so the tires have never been touched since he did them

dijm8 well that was the kind of lifespan i was hoping for as well!!! but its barely bin 4 months do you remember who did yours? i know you said it'd been awhile

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
sorry my mistake.. when you mentioned tire black going through the whitewal i assumed you meant you were using a spray on tire black; not the actualy black colouring seeping from the tire

Sorry bout that.
Whitewalls arent meant to last forever, if you regularly clean them though they will last longer. i'd say weekly cleaning is most likely required to maintain them

how bad have they gotten?

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
yea mate post some pics n name and shame this guy.....2 months without touching them? thats not right you should get more mileage than that

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
How new were the tyres? If it's Darryl at Whitewalls SA, I know he recommends doing at least 1000km before having them done, so the tyre has a chance to weather and be broken in before the paint is applied (gets rid of silicon on tyre)

Retro_Class_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
37675_417405342487_616347487_4515419_7947074_n.jpg

10012011388.jpg

VLC 86 - Your alright man things are often mis-interpreted on these forums!

VS - Berlina - I dont really wanna name and shame him unless he's at fault... just wanna rule out anything i could have done differently first

Gamblr - The tires were brand new hadnt seen a single km before the white walls were put on... would have been nice if he told me about the 1000km rule before putting em on... cars done bout 1000kms now so maybe il get them re-done wit the tires broken in see how i go this time