Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who can name this part???

miguel

Conche Su Madre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Hi there, I'm a bit of a rookie with my commodore; only had it 3 weeks and she's overheating (so says the temp gauge - but no heat will come from the heaters???) anyway a check under the hood and this part is spitting steam/water can anyone tell me what it is? Cheers!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Its the heater tap/valve it let the hot coolant flow into the heater core in the cab and that where you get the heat from its vacum operated from your dash switch

When the dial is in the cold part this vavle is closed and when in the hot its open . :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Hi there, I'm a bit of a rookie with my commodore; only had it 3 weeks and she's overheating (so says the temp gauge - but no heat will come from the heaters???) anyway a check under the hood and this part is spitting steam/water can anyone tell me what it is? Cheers!

Looks like you need a new one, not very expensive from memory. The are made of plastic and become very brittle with age.

miguel

Conche Su Madre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Awsome, thanks a lot for your replys!!!

Would that also cause the temp gauge to show its overheating when its not?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awsome, thanks a lot for your replys!!!

Would that also cause the temp gauge to show its overheating when its not?

Maybe because it's leaking you are low on water and it is getting hotter than usual.

miguel

Conche Su Madre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
Maybe because it's leaking you are low on water and it is getting hotter than usual.

Nah because I did a flush and ran a flush additive and she got hot at idle after 10 mins.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Nah because I did a flush and ran a flush additive and she got hot at idle after 10 mins.

Did you fill it up with water or coolant after you did the flush?

Did you bleed the cooling system correctly?

miguel

Conche Su Madre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
No, after she heated up during the flush I just let her cool down and i drained the fluid and havent done anything since, I wanted to replace the heat tap before refilling the coolant system.

As far as bleeding the system correctly, I removed the bottom and top radiator hoses and performed a reverse flush, but not much liquid was coming out of the top hose, I suspect because of the faulty tap. I read round the forums and the only other thing I could have done as far as i know was to remove those two plugs from the block. Is there anything else i could do?

Thanks for your help.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
When you fill it up with coolant, there is a bleeding nipple where the top radiator hose connects to the engine. With engine running, let it heat up to normal temperature then unscrew the bleeding screw just a little until all the air escapes and coolant starts to flow out.