Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who gives way to whom

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
[/QUOTE]
He is waisting his time disputing where he is clearly in the wrong. His effort would be better spent refreshing his knowledge of the road rules...
It seems that learners are taught how to pass their driving test and get the required hour up instead of learning the road rules. We have all seen the" mum and dad " instructors who teach their kids bad habits right from day one . I have lost count of how many learners i have seen sitting way under the speed limit in the right hand lane.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
It seems that learners are taught how to pass their driving test and get the required hour up instead of learning the road rules.

Traffic rules across Australia are supposed to be uniform. The biggest problem is that the States write and interpret the same intention differently.

This thread prompted me to look at the NSW Road Users Handbook, and the original scenario above is not mentioned, but the gist of it is that when you are making a U-turn you must give way to all traffic. This may have something to do with NSW’s interpretation of making U-turns and the lack of signs permitting a U-turn.
The NSW Traffic Legislation is more pages than anybody can digest and remember, and the rules covering U-turns are too many to reproduce here.

Mum and Dad instructors refer to the Handbook (if they are switched on) but most of that is general knowledge do’s and don’t’s.
I chipped my learner grandson for not knowing that when pulling out from the kerb, he should have indicated right for 5 seconds. He showed me that it was not in the handbook, but I (eventually) found this obscure rule in the NSW Traffic Legislation, which is something that I could not find again in the last half hour.

A basic knowledge, common sense and avoidance of accidents are key factors, but the average driver barely qualifies on one factor.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
My daughter also pointed out another intersection not far from us. The stop sign has been replaced with a give way sign but the markings on the road are still the solid lines not broken lines as per giveway sign. She asked the question if you don't come to a complete stop can you be booked .

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Before 1993 only in Victoria , left turning vehicle's had to give way to right turning vehicles . That was all good as long as an interstate driver wasn't turning left as you were turning right or you run into them. We used to check out the rego plate of anyone turning to see if they were interstate so we wouldnt hit them .
This rule was changed early 1993 to fall inline with the rest of the country.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Before 1993 only in Victoria , left turning vehicle's had to give way to right turning vehicles . That was all good as long as an interstate driver wasn't turning left as you were turning right or you run into them. We used to check out the rego plate of anyone turning to see if they were interstate so we wouldnt hit them .
This rule was changed early 1993 to fall inline with the rest of the country.
NZ introduced this strange rule in the 80's as well. Then got rid of it a while after Victoria (I think).
The rule was the cause of countless offset head-on collisions and rear enders, due to the "will he or won't he" style of adherence. For years after it was changed in NZ and Victoria some drivers insisted on it when turning right facing you and just pushed into your lane, leaving me stabbing the brakes.
Mind you, they still have hook turns in Melbourne to accommodate trams, which I find unnatural.
Wonder if NSW will look at introducing hook turns, since the trams have now been re-introduced to Sydney CBD. They operate now and then, when the streets aren't too busy.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Traffic rules across Australia are supposed to be uniform. The biggest problem is that the States write and interpret the same intention differently...
Road rules fall under state jurisdiction so are a state law. Harmonising or aligning all state laws is obviously a good idea but will continue to be a bit of a challenge in some instances, states being states.

Me, I’d prefer all states abdicated their licensing, road rule and vehicle registration obligations to the federal government but license/registration fees and more importantly fines for road rule violations are a very lucrative business states will, never give up...
A basic knowledge, common sense and avoidance of accidents are key factors, but the average driver barely qualifies on one factor.
Fully agree it’s best to avoid crashes. No point being correct in that someone else was supposed to give way but you still had a crash and now you’re injured o_O

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Person in the left lane goes first no different to a set of lights. So the person doing the U turn must give way to the one coming out of the side road..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My daughter also pointed out another intersection not far from us. The stop sign has been replaced with a give way sign but the markings on the road are still the solid lines not broken lines as per giveway sign. She asked the question if you don't come to a complete stop can you be booked .
You can always be booked by a grumpy policeman trying to make his day better at your expense :eek: However, you'd have good grounds to say the sign and road markings were confusing and you simply followed the first thing you saw which was the give way sign. Unless the judge was also having a bad day, i'd expect it would get tossed and likely the police given a few stern words for waisting the courts time :rolleyes:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I chipped my learner grandson for not knowing that when pulling out from the kerb, he should have indicated right for 5 seconds. He showed me that it was not in the handbook, but I (eventually) found this obscure rule in the NSW Traffic Legislation, which is something that I could not find again in the last half hour.

This has only taken me all afternoon to find, in between watching the cricket. :mad:

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/parking.html
When driving away ……… Before moving from a stationary position at the side of the road or a median strip parking area, you must signal for at least 5 seconds, and check mirrors and blind spots.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Guy was doing the U-Turn and almost completed it when someone turned left and hit him. He is all dirty because the insurance companies are saying he is at fault. He is disputing it.

The moron making the left turn deserves a swift kick up the arse for not using some 'common sense' and waiting for the other motorist to complete their almost completed U turn rather than enforce their privilege to the right of way.