Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who gives way to whom

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
The moron making the left turn deserves a swift kick up the arse for not using some 'common sense' and waiting for the other motorist to complete their almost completed U turn rather than enforce their privilege to the right of way.

The driver making the left turn believed the guy doing the u-turn was turning right. I am with you though as I always assume everyone is going to hit me, therefore I would have waited for him to either complete his right hand turn or his U-turn or whatever he was doing in front of me. However it appears the insurance companies involved believe the u-turner was in the wrong.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The moron making the left turn deserves a swift kick up the arse for not using some 'common sense' and waiting for the other motorist to complete their almost completed U turn rather than enforce their privilege to the right of way.
It’s always best to follow the law, mitigated with a little common sense. But to call the guy who has the right of way a moron for not letting someone through is telling of your driving attitude. What next, do you abuse a pregnant woman who you’ve crashed into because the biatch should have been nice and let you through even though she had the right of way?

Truth is, crashes sometimes occur when someone who have the right of way try to be nice and let someone past... the other guy hesitates because he’s supposed to give way... guy who has right of way gestures for other driver to go... some more hesitation... and then they both go at the same time... see it all the time o_O

Probably the one place when common sense should be shown, but is hardly ever shown, is at merging lanes during peak traffic conditions. Such common sense in these instances would allow traffic to flow much better but many want to gain that extra car spot and accelerate forward to block you in for no good reason. Even when there is no broken line separating the merging lanes, where a car with any part in front of your car, even if on the left, has the right of way, many in the right lane still try and push in showing their ignorance of the zip merge road rules (or of any basic human curtesy. during peak traffic). I’d say common sense isn’t so common :oops: so I’ll defer to the rules thanks ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... However it appears the insurance companies involved believe the u-turner was in the wrong.
There is no doubt here as the guy doing the U-turn is 100% at fault in law. It’s clearly spelt out who give way within the rules I posted above.

Such crashes could be 100% avoided if the guy doing the U-turn actually followed the road rules.

I just don’t understand the attitude where some people try and put the crash responsibility onto others who are actually understand and follow the road rules and assumed the U-turner would stop as he should have o_O

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
There is no doubt here as the guy doing the U-turn is 100% at fault in law.

Do we know all the circumstances though ? Particularly the timing of who arrived at / entered the intersection first.

i.e. if the person conducting the U Turn had commenced their action before the person doing the left turn had arrived at the intersection, are they still at fault under the law ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do we know all the circumstances though ? Particularly the timing of who arrived at / entered the intersection first.

i.e. if the person conducting the U Turn had commenced their action before the person doing the left turn had arrived at the intersection, are they still at fault under the law ?
Only road rule where I remember any mention about timing is related to roundabouts when one must give way to any vehicle within the roundabout... even one entering from your left if they entered first. If they entered first, then they have the right of way.

In all other instances, arguing who got there first or who commenced their action first or who was speeding excessively, etc and thus caused the crash is a suckers game and likely not to absolve one from the literal meaning in-law.

Basically if a crash occurs and vehicles placement indicates a person was doing a U-turn, automatically the assumption would be they are at fault. As the U-turner, you’d have to have an independent whiteness (bystander or unrelated vehicle, not your passenger) and preferably video evidence that there was enough time to complete a manoeuvre if not for the other parties illegal spending offence (for example). Even then it may be a long bow to draw in court and you may be shut down from that aspect by a judge... :eek:

It’s always best to know the law and know who gives way to whom and if possible give a wide berth to idiot drivers (which seems to be getting harder as time goes by) :oops:

Isn’t there a forum member who’s a policeman that could chime in?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It’s always best to follow the law, mitigated with a little common sense. But to call the guy who has the right of way a moron for not letting someone through is telling of your driving attitude. What next, do you abuse a pregnant woman who you’ve crashed into because the biatch should have been nice and let you through even though she had the right of way?

If I was the motorist making the left turn in the situation being discussed and I could clearly see the other person was in the process of making a U turn I would wait until they have completed their U turn rather than barge through simply because I have the 'RIGHT OF WAY'.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis

More than likely both motorists had oncoming traffic approaching which, if they had hesitated in making their turns, would have necessitated them having to give way to that traffic and wait for the next clear break.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Only road rule where I remember any mention about timing is related to roundabouts when one must give way to any vehicle within the roundabout... even one entering from your left if they entered first. If they entered first, then they have the right of way.

In all other instances, arguing who got there first or who commenced their action first or who was speeding excessively, etc and thus caused the crash is a suckers game and likely not to absolve one from the literal meaning in-law.

Basically if a crash occurs and vehicles placement indicates a person was doing a U-turn, automatically the assumption would be they are at fault. As the U-turner, you’d have to have an independent whiteness (bystander or unrelated vehicle, not your passenger) and preferably video evidence that there was enough time to complete a manoeuvre if not for the other parties illegal spending offence (for example). Even then it may be a long bow to draw in court and you may be shut down from that aspect by a judge... :eek:

It’s always best to know the law and know who gives way to whom and if possible give a wide berth to idiot drivers (which seems to be getting harder as time goes by) :oops:

Isn’t there a forum member who’s a policeman that could chime in?

Based on your theory, how long should the u-turner wait before they proceed, to ensure no one will be turning left or have the opportunity to turn left before they execute their u-turn ? Until there is no other vehicle in visible sight ?

If no one is about to turn left, then u-turner has no need to give way. If the left turner arrives and proceeds to turn left and into the u-tuner, there should be no way the u-turner should be held liable.

It's nonsensical.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
How many drivers would know or understand this (ancient but current) NSW rule. Apparently you can't turn left.

Signalling
You must indicate to let others know what you plan to do. Give plenty of warning by signalling before you turn left or right, or change lanes.
Make sure your indicator is turned off after each turn or lane change. If your indicators are not working, not clearly visible or your vehicle does not have indicator lights then you must give a hand signal when turning right or stopping.

signalling-turning-right.jpg

Signal to turn right ..................... ( or throwing rubbish from car )
signalling-slowing-down.jpg

Signal for stopping or slowing down ....................... ( or waving to good looking chicky-babe.)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Based on your theory, how long should the u-turner wait before they proceed, to ensure no one will be turning left or have the opportunity to turn left before they execute their u-turn ? Until there is no other vehicle in visible sight ?

If no one is about to turn left, then u-turner has no need to give way. If the left turner arrives and proceeds to turn left and into the u-tuner, there should be no way the u-turner should be held liable.

It's nonsensical.
I usually make eye contact and give the "you go first" hand gesture if in doubt .