Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who gives way to whom

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dayvo, Dec 28, 2019.

1. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore

Bit of a laugh...They don't even teach kids how to read an analogue clock at school....All teaching is don't via the internet, so teaching them the skill of driving would be impossible

2. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    You sure will...What I posted, I see on a regular basis....I drive in 80 and 90 kay zones on my way to work and constantly see it occur...

3. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    Says a lot about moderns schools...

Thankfully, our local high school is indeed offering driving lessons to it's students with their own car (a little suzuki swift I believe) and I really believe this model should be mandatory at high school as many jobs these days require a drivers license so it actually makes sense that it is part of the school curriculum.

VS_Pete likes this.
  4. vc commodore

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    I did hear about some schools offering driving courses a few years back, but unsure if it is still available.....Probably not considering they do everything via the net....

And yep, modern schooling...A frigging joke...I've had to teach my grandkids basic things the school has no idea about...Like reading an analogue clock, real basic maths, using the brain, not a calculator on a bloody computer, just to name a couple of things...

Skylarking likes this.
  5. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    We've got the Pacific Ocean between us o_O That’s gotta be enough space for you :p

Lex and Dayvo like this.
  6. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    The Pacific maybe but the Tasman I'm not so sure about!

Skylarking likes this.
  7. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Being that the Tasman Sea is a marginal sea of the southern Pacific Ocean, I wanted to give you the widest berth possible :p

Lex and Dayvo like this.
  8. Crowny

Crowny Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    A long time ago some Holden dealers would lend cars to some schools for them to teach students to drive. I don't know whether it's just me but the number of poor drivers on the roads seems to be getting worse. I am pretty sure people on mobile phones are part of the problem but a lot of people can't do basic things like even stay in their own lane without drifting into the next one. It seems like I have to give people a blast with my horn for doing that every second time I head out on the road.

9. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Yeah, I can’t disagree that skills seem to be getting worse.

One time I was watching someone reverse park in a shopping centre car park. She tried so many times while almost hitting the cars parked either side. I had to step in and direct her which way and how much to turn the steering wheel, even whether to be in reverse or drive, so she could get safely into the spot. I also strongly suggested to her that she get some refresh lessons. Seriously, I was left wondering how anyone with such demonstrated lack of skills could have even passed a license test in the first place?

But we’ve all seen bad skills exhibited on the road, probably on a daily basis. And I avoid using the horn in fear that those pathetically skilled drivers will panic and their lacking skills would diminish even further and result in a crash.... I generally let them get i front where I can kee p a clearer eye on them :oops:

The fact the VF2 single tone horn also sounds like a pisssy barina doesn’t encourage me to use it when I’m driving the commodore. Which reminds me... I must pick up an additional VF1 horn to add to my ‘dore to give it a bigger voice :cool:

10. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Springfield Shopping Centre, QLD, some time mid last year …….. mate and I having a cup of coffee watching 2 uniformed police ladies in a Kia Stinger H'way Patrol car trying to do a reverse park into marked loading zone. Twice she put it up on the footpath before being successful. They got out both laughing (big joke) and wandered off without even looking to see if there was any tyre damage.
    What hope do the numpties have, if that was an example of Police proficiency ?

marty351, wetwork65 and Skylarking like this.
  11. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ may the force be with you o_O

12. Crowny

Crowny Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    ^I don't know what state you're from but I heard a rumour that VicRoads testers have to pass a certain percentage of drivers who sit the test. It's only a rumour and I don't have any confirmation that it is true but if it was the case that would explain the low standard of some drivers out on the road.

13. Crowny

Crowny Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    Whilst I am not the greatest reverse parker in the world the fact that coppers put the thing up on the kerb twice let alone at all would be a cause for concern if these are the ones who are meant to be enforcing the law and getting bad drivers off the road.

14. Whiteshark68

Whiteshark68 Member

Members Ride:
    VY Berlina Series II
    Driving instructors around here maybe the worst, In the years i have been noticing them i have watched them either on their own or with students in the car, run red lights,fail to indicate at both round-a-bouts and intersections, change lanes without looking or indicating, nearly run over pedestrians at crossings at both lights and zebra crossings, cross double white lines and just bad driving in general.
    i was always told driving schools are there to teach drivers how to pass a test not to teach them to drive.