Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who in Perth for an LS1 Engine rebuild?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I need to get my LS1 rebuilt.

There are a lot of businesses that give vague details online about engine building. I know the industry is super competitive.

I've thought about getting an exchange motor from over east but it's a fair bit of fluffing about and expensive to transport.

So, who would you trust with a rebuild?
I've wanted to go to Mark's Workshop in York, but I get the impression he does more significant things than a basic rebuild and mild cam.

Kwinana performance?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would use Justin at BYE Performance, he's very good with the LSx.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I've had quite a bit done at KP...some with mixed results. Uknow sometimes crap happens. If I've had a problem though they dont have any issues investigating and repairing the issue and they have never told me to PO :p Customer service is pretty good and they spent some time trying to diagnose a recurring issue for me at no charge on a few occasions. They seem to understand customer loyalty to some extent.
I have no problems going back but I think if I were getting a cammed ls1 tuned I'd probably go to BYE. Not that I've used them but I've heard that Justin dude is pretty good. I'm only 90 percent on my current tune. Its not a bad tune but I'm a fussy prick and I had an undiagnosed issue not helping that was maybe tuned around.
I think from my phone call quotes, BYE are more expensive. Same with WA performance in Bibra Lakes. You get great service...he will spend time with you but you do get quoted a premium, at least in my experience south of the river.

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
I went with John at Street Quick Performance in maddington. First had just had full exhaust and mafless tune done, then later on had a cam upgrade done.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Any decent mechanic or machine shop should be able to rebuild a stock or mild ls engine.

They're so simple just make sure common issues are looked at.

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
It's the uncommon issues that get you though. I had one...cost me thousands...you get that sh!t sometimes. I wished it didn't though !!

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Any decent mechanic or machine shop should be able to rebuild a stock or mild ls engine.

They're so simple just make sure common issues are looked at.

Actually no. You need alignment tools to do them properly. In saying that I have done rear main and sump gaskets with out the tools you just have to tighten and loosen the bolts a couple of times to get them in the right spot.
Next one I do I'm buying the front and rear seal aligner and the bell housing to sump alignment tool. This is so I can do the job properly.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Also the head bolts should all get time serts in the rebuild this is a step lots of people miss and can save lots! of money down the road.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You can buy alignment tools BUT you can also build one without them easily enough.

Feeler guages for oil pump although most don't do it.

Rear main plate tighten up after seal properly seated.

Front plate loosely bolted on not tightened up untill after balancer is on properly.

Most gaskets/seals reusable...if truly game dudes reuse torque to yield bolts so yeah if can be rebuilt & live with redneck backyard rebuild then any decent mechanic or machine shop can recondition an ls engine in their sleep.

That said ls suitable pulley puller + valve spring remover makes life way easier so round $60 round chunk of metal to hold timing cover in place won't hurt if you build a few engines.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
My ultimate goal is to get a spare engine that’s crapped out just so me and the young fella can pull it apart and put it back together so he learns through repetition (and me :) ).

Pull it apart, put it back together. Pull it apart. Put back together. Just use the same flogged out bolts etc.

Not use the motor for anything but practice.