Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who know the life time of car stereo?

chaplin123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
my car stereo have served me more than three years and the sound is far from good . i want to buy a new one . who know the life time of a car stereo. in fact i don't want to spend too much money on it, a cheap car stereo will be much better. :w00t:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
usually 3yrs is a good run, ive had my alpine for 2yr cd just startin to play up n the swing face sumtimes jams but still all good, just use the ipod side when discs aint workin.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah, they are starting to make stuff that dosent last as long. I had a Kenwood MASK head-unit about 7 years ago, went fine for over 5 years.....sold it to a mate and its still going strong (it was one of the first motorised face units on the market).

Ive currently got a Pioneer head-unit thats over 4 years old and still going strong, no problems. My splits (Response) are 3 years old and sound as good as the day i installed them....maybe ive just had a good run, i dont know.

I suppose 3 years is fairly good these days. Although i would imagine that cheaper brands that you buy on ebay for example wont last that long......if brands like Alpine last 3, i somehow dont think cheapies will last half that.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
How often do u crank urs tho, my batt has about 120amps constant being pulled out of it, i fried the h/u amp with my JBL splits and one response amp in 3weeks.

Sum of the response stuff is good, sum is **** i worked with it all. Got 3 responce amps in me boot.

My stez get trashed, no my battery get thrashed, lasts about 12months, century wont give me warrenty unless u use a n70zz that dont fit in my car....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
i've had my current pioneer headunit for 9 years now, and my uncle had it in his HQ a good 3years before he gave it to me.. yes its 'old' but its never missed a beat, it even has subout :D

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
most car audio gear will last for a fair while as long as you look after, no different to a car. if you go thrashing it every day of course its not gonna last as long as if it has a nice easy life.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
How often do u crank urs tho, my batt has about 120amps constant being pulled out of it, i fried the h/u amp with my JBL splits and one response amp in 3weeks.

Sum of the response stuff is good, sum is **** i worked with it all. Got 3 responce amps in me boot.

My stez get trashed, no my battery get thrashed, lasts about 12months, century wont give me warrenty unless u use a n70zz that dont fit in my car....

Ive got 2 Response 12" C.F. subs (300wrms) powered by a 4000wrms Schneider monoblock, pulls 147db. My Response splits (60wrms) are given 150wrms. I crank my system on a daily basis, sometimes for over an hour at 3/4 volume....my battery sits at ~12.5v during this time.

As far as Response stuff goes, i run a small installation business and have an account with Electus (Jaycar wholesale supplier), ive installed probably 50 Response amps in the last 6 years....only had one amp (a 800wrms mono in my own car) that gave me problems.

Anyways the point is.....and i agree with 2LOUD2OLD here, car audio gear should last a fair amount of time. Provided it is taken car of and not abused (like a car).

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Anything mechanical on the hu is going to cause probls sooner or later. That means cd tracking mechanisms and cd eject mechanism....it used to be tape and tape eject problems. Other than that there is no reason as to why the rest of the electronics wont last. At the rate the prices have gone down in the past year and high tech features that have found their way onto the units, ie usb and ipod, I wouldnt be worried about how long the unit lasts as in a couple of years time youll want to update to the latest and greatest anyway. What will be next, dont know, when is australia going to get digital satellite radio?