Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who knows L32 conrod direction/orientation?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
ah ok cool balancing sounds all good then.

With the bigger chamfer towards the main where does that put the numbers on the outside? (I assume the numbers were already there and the machinist didnt add them.)

The numbers are from factory. Half will face one side and half the other.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Ok the other day i sent this e-mail to Intense racing.

''Hi,

Im building my L36 twinturbo.

Im running your L32 rods and your coated Diamond Racing pistons 8.0:1.

On assembly im finding the small ends of the rods are slightly out of centre on the wrist pin. This causes the small end of the rod to slightly rub one side of the radius inside the piston.

I don’t quite understand when you say bearing tang toward the pan rail as there are 2 sides to the pan rail.

I have installed them with the bigger chamfers of the big end towards the nearest main bearing. Is this right?''

I got this response.

''There should be no contact of the piston to the rod. The rods all have a dot on the beam above the bearing on one side. That dot needs to be facing the front (pulley side) of the engine on all 6 rods. Also make sure the pistons are all facing the right way, they each have the letter “F” stamped on them. The “F” should face the Front of the engine as well.''

I then sent this back.

''Thanks for the reply Chris.

Why does it say ‘’Bearing tangs toward pan rail’’ at the bottom of the page? INTENSE-Racing.com: L32 Connecting Rod

If that is the case then you will have half the dots facing forwards and half rearwards.

I just wish I could get a straight answer from someone lol. I can’t find a definite answer anywhere.''

I got this response today.

''I have no idea why the website says that, or what it really means. It said that before I worked here, I am going to see if John will change it. Anyway, the dots definitely point towards the front.''

I think im going to go dots face towards front lol.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
well there you go problem sorted If only engine manufacturers could agree to a standard.

I know windsor v8 tangs are to pan rail and big block clevo are to camshaft side.

Gotta be happy thats sorted.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I just came across this thread searching for info on these rods. They are used in late model VY commodore L67 series II coded engines not just L32. I have just ordered one from the USA it's been a PITA trying to find one local. So if you are searching for these L32 rods that are used in the L67 too then you will probably have to source them from the USA like I did.

I'm not sure on harmonic balancer and flex plate but you would assume they would be a different weight to the series I L67 I bet the old style balencer is listed on all the parts catalogues. That would be a fun experience replace a balencer and get an engine vibration.

I hope this helps anyone in the future googling for these. Bloody odd ball commodores.