Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who paid for their first car

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
my parents said they would match what ever i saved.... i ended up buying a Nissan Bluebird, 4cyl, 4spd manual for around $1100, was only working part time. it wasn't exactly stylish but i soon made it half cool... lowered, exhaust, interior & stereo.

every car from them on i have paid for myself

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
At 16 i bought my first car, VP Berlina LE $600, sold that at 17 for a grand. Bought second car VT Berlina on LPG $9000, traded that in a month ago (got 7 grand) for a brand new VE Berlina. (Loan for $40000). I think i've done pretty well for a 19yo.

Yeah 19 yrs old with a $40,000 loan on a car that will be worth half that in no time.Sweeet.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah 19 yrs old with a $40,000 loan on a car that will be worth half that in no time.Sweeet.

Right now that car would struggle to fetch $30k, so he's already lost $10 grand off that loan on a stock V6 Berlina. Stupid bloody decision.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Not to mention the interest that will be payed on that loan over X amount of time, then when it comes time to sell (or when the loans paid off) it will be worth sweet F/A.

Imagine the kind of VZ or Pre VZ you could have bought for $40k. Could have picked up a VY or VZ Maloo for around $34k.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
my mum bought me my first car for $1500 ( VC 202 ), it was great because it wasn't over the top and if i did crash it, it wouldn't a big deal.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Yeah, I would never buy a new car, especially at suck a young age.

1 - I'm a tightarse
2 - I prefer the older cars anyway
3 - I'm a tightarse
4 - It'd be worth a LOT less than what I paid for it.

LOL, I'm not really a tightarse lol.

At least with older cars like commos or even my WB, I got it cheap, I can likely sell it for more than I paid for it, or at least get my money back. I felt secure buying it, I couldn't do the same with a $30,000 two year old car or whatever.

Last edited:

sleek_vp

sleek_vp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
paid for my first and got finance for my 2nd (to fix credit rating to buy a house in 4 years)

VS_Wagon_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 3 VT2 Berlina wagon
Yeah, paid all the money on my VS. I borrowed a little bit from Mum and Dad because i bought it on rather short notice on the weekend and couldn't withdraw enough over 2 days, but i went to the bank that week and paid them back. Paid $2900 for it (they were asking $3250) and withdrew a whole bunch and had a stash of money in my room for occasions like this.

Nevyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Sedan
a mate gave me my first car back in the early 80s.....a EH sedan he bought for the engine to transplant into his. if only I knew what they would be worth today, it was stock as and in mint condition.