Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who put that pole there?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was hit in the rear by a young woman on the phone while I was waiting at the traffic lights in my VS Clubsport in George Street, Sydney.

A busy area with lots of stop and start traffic so why wouldn’t she be paying attention is beyond me.

I watched it all in my rear view mirror and she didn’t know I was sitting there until she hit me.

I got out, had a look at the damage and thought to myself what a mess my towbar had made of the front of her Honda.

Her front bar was laying on the pavement and my car had nothing more than a couple of scuff marks on the rear bumper.

When I took the Clubby in to have it fixed under her insurance it was written off because the boot pan was buckled.

It felt and seemed to drive okay but when you lifted up the carpet you could see and feel the ripple in the floor.

One dead HSV because of an old shitbox Honda Civic with an idiot behind the wheel.

Still I put another towbar on the replacement car as they do work well if the other car just bumps you.

Strange write off.....The rear of my VC is pushed in, creased boot floor, popped the indicator lenses from the housing however the rear quarters are straight as....Panel beaters didn't write it off when it happened about 3 years ago....Quoted $3,500 for repairs to the car....Didn't have a tow bar either.

Anyways, slightly off topic, but could be classed as sort of relevant to the topic too...

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
This heat must be affecting people more than I think

Yeah, I agree the heat can definitely effect peoples personality, but on the other hand, I'll also have to respectfully disagree to a certain extent due to personal experience
I live in the tropics and unfortunately some people are just wankers for no obvious reason....regardless of the temperature

Anyway, back on topic....
I reckon to give the hot water trick a try that @tml678 mentioned previously, I have seen it work before
You've got nothing to lose by giving it a shot, it will either work or it won't

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
**** oath. Was sorta hoping someone would say that while also just venting.

Mick I don't think I'll get much better after 12ish years of driving without some driver courses but those cost money. Rather just be a **** driver.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I live in the tropics.........I reckon to give the hot water trick a try that @tml678 mentioned previously

I've been up your way round this time of year Matt....no need to boil a jug...just flick the cold water tap on..:eek::D

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Strange write off.....The rear of my VC is pushed in, creased boot floor, popped the indicator lenses from the housing however the rear quarters are straight as....Panel beaters didn't write it off when it happened about 3 years ago....Quoted $3,500 for repairs to the car....Didn't have a tow bar either.

Anyways, slightly off topic, but could be classed as sort of relevant to the topic too...

The panel shop didn't write it off, they were going to repair it, the insurance accessor wrote it off.

A little story:

I had an LX Torana that was stolen in 2001 and got hammered in a Police chase, one of the rails was bent along with front end panel damage and the insurance accessor recommended it be written off.

It was fitted with a 350 Chev, a top loader and 9 inch and up until the accident damage was in mint condition.

I wasn't happy with the decision as I had a lot of money invested in the car and said no way as it was obviously repairable and the insurance write off money would only cover a fraction of the cost to replace it.

The insurance company stood by the accessor's recommendation so I offered to buy the wreck and got a flat no.

By this time I'd already picked up the car from the Police impound yard at Blacktown as I was still the legal owner and locked it away in my garage and started a long battle with the insurance company.

After about 6 months a friend of mine put me onto a fellow who was having trouble getting his hands on a wrecked Torana he had put a deposit on to buy.

After some discussions with him I found out the accessor after inspecting my car had agreed to sell it to this fellow.

I told him there was no way he'd ever get his hands on the car as I'd rather give up the insurance claim and repair the car myself then lose it.

He wanted his money back so with his statement my solicitor contacted the insurance company and they changed the claim from write off to repair.

It was in my financial and emotional interest to keep the Torana but the Clubby was a different story.

VS Clubsport's were a dime a dozen at the time, the payout was more than it was worth to buy and I in fact replaced it with another and pocketed the change.

I hate to see a car written off and I agree it could have been repaired but it wasn't in my interest to fight it.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
He wanted his money back so with his statement my solicitor contacted the insurance company and they changed the claim from write off to repair.

Do you know what became of the dodgy insurance assessor, and I wonder how he planned to sell it through the back door? Surely you'd think the car would have to be accounted for higher in the food chain after the claim was paid etc..?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Do you know what became of the dodgy insurance assessor, and I wonder how he planned to sell it through the back door? Surely you'd think the car would have to be accounted for higher in the food chain after the claim was paid etc..?

My friend who suspected the sale and passed the info on to me worked in the motor industry and in particular with modified cars.

We'd been friends for years and apart from him often working on some of my cars we'd drink together and talk cars and rubbish in his workshop every Friday evening along with other mechanics and the panel beaters and spray painters who had shops in that industrial complex.

My car was fairly well known in the area with the spanner guys as it was used to shut up a fellow who used to get around big noting himself and couldn't believed a N/A 350 would have any chance of dusting his blown 350 HQ Monaro, so when it was stolen everyone knew and were listening around for it.

It was my friend's brother who was an auto electrician and originally wired the Torana for me during the early build process that heard about it through one of his mates and they thought it sounded like my car.

They also knew the assessor and it was a known ploy he used and from what I was told by other fellows on the night I was drinking with them, he wasn't alone in doing it.

They'd target a car they knew was chockers full of gear that made it worth much more than it's actual market value and go from there.

Torana's weren't worth a great deal in those days.

In my case I could afford to fight or wait them out or just walk away with the wreck if I chose to which wasn't in his plan.

I don't know if he was speared by the company that insured my car but I do know he continued to work for other insurers.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
He wasn't dodgy , that's the way it works . When a car is written off it is put up for online auction , the money raised by the auction is deducted from the payout claim you then receive the auction money plus the insurance pay out