Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who put that pole there?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
He wasn't dodgy , that's the way it works . When a car is written off it is put up for online auction , the money raised by the auction is deducted from the payout claim you then receive the auction money plus the insurance pay out

Of course the insurance company will try to recoup as much as they can but in this case the assessor was selling the cars privately, I don't know if that makes a difference.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I was amazed a wreckers paid $600 for my mothers write off through the assessor, but if I'd driven it there in it's original condition they would'a given me like $200

Image-3[1].jpg

Image-2[1].jpg

She was rear ended at a set of red lights when stationary by a 4x4 doing 100k's
Dunno why they wrote it off , it only had a few creases in the boot :eek:

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
He wasn't dodgy , that's the way it works

I'm not sure what you're referring to but panhead was referring to a situation quite a few years back and presumably before online auctions. He said that the insurance assessor had wanted to write the car off and arranged to sell it to a third party when it was clearly still able to be repaired (which is what happened). Presumably the assessor was going to pocket a few dollars out of the deal, as it was worth more than the insurance payout due to modifications/enhancements..

Sounds dodgy to me..?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
ye ,how things have changed , but I can guarantee what ever the assessor would have got for that car would have to be proved to the insurance company , maybe back then things were different but insurance company's mitigating there cost's haven't changed

EDIT: Everything was dodgy back then surrounding the insurance business

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Of course the insurance company will try to recoup as much as they can but in this case the assessor was selling the cars privately, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I can sympathies. i had Chrysler CL Regal back in 1989 , that owed me about 3 time what it was insured for. it got stolen, and literally wrapped around a pole.
The insurance company wrote it off, much to my panel beater's and my annoyance as i though it was fixable. I asked f i could take off the extras i had added which were not insured (simmons wheels, stereo, etc), and i was told NO, its now the property of the insurance company. I was also told i couldn't buy the car back from them.

To rub salt into the wound, because the ignition lock wasn't broken, they investigated the claim. Interviewed me and everyone i was with the night it got stolen, interviewed the mechanics who had worked on it, etc. I tried explaining to the ******** investigator "why would i do an insurance job on a car that owes me $15k and is insured for $5k" . Took me about 4 months to get my money.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
He wasn't dodgy , that's the way it works . When a car is written off it is put up for online auction , the money raised by the auction is deducted from the payout claim you then receive the auction money plus the insurance pay out
The assessor was dodge as a turd on a footpath o_O

The principle has always been for the insurance company to sell write offs at a public auction should the owner choose not to buy it back at their prescribed rates prior to going to such a public auction. The idea was tha5 such an auction was at arms length and nothing nafarious could deny the insurer the maximum recovery amount.

Selling via underhanded private methods was never in the insurance companies interest and the only reason such occured is that corruption existed up the management chain. These days such behaviour by an assessor would almost certainly get them sacked and possibly charged for some profit by deception or fraud offence.

Yes, such behaviour was common a decade or more ago but it was never legal and always dodgy as dog dodo o_O

PS: I say this as I’ve known people working within insurance which affords an insiders view on their behaviour. I’ve also had a few run-ins with real suspect behaviour from assessor which has always been resolved but it does take time. If your not in a hurry to close a claim. and stand on firm principles when arguing with some dullard, you’ll usually get your way... be in a hurry to settle and you’ll often get the mushy end of the stick.

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
The assessor was dodge as a turd on a footpath o_O

The principle has always been for the insurance company to sell write offs at a public auction should the owner choose not to buy it back at their prescribed rates prior to going to such a public auction. The idea was tha5 such an auction was at arms length and nothing nafarious could deny the insurer the maximum recovery amount.

Selling via underhanded private methods was never in the insurance companies interest and the only reason such occured is that corruption existed up the management chain. These days such behaviour by an assessor would almost certainly get them sacked and possibly charged for some profit by deception or fraud offence.

Yes, such behaviour was common a decade or more ago but it was never legal and always dodgy as dog dodo o_O

PS: I say this as I’ve known people working within insurance which affords an insiders view on their behaviour. I’ve also had a few run-ins with real suspect behaviour from assessor which has always been resolved but it does take time. If your not in a hurry to close a claim. and stand on firm principles when arguing with some dullard, you’ll usually get your way... be in a hurry to settle and you’ll often get the mushy end of the stick.

Yes I think I missed the point 'private sale'

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I can sympathies. i had Chrysler CL Regal back in 1989 , that owed me about 3 time what it was insured for. it got stolen, and literally wrapped around a pole.
The insurance company wrote it off, much to my panel beater's and my annoyance as i though it was fixable. I asked f i could take off the extras i had added which were not insured (simmons wheels, stereo, etc), and i was told NO, its now the property of the insurance company. I was also told i couldn't buy the car back from them.

To rub salt into the wound, because the ignition lock wasn't broken, they investigated the claim. Interviewed me and everyone i was with the night it got stolen, interviewed the mechanics who had worked on it, etc. I tried explaining to the ******** investigator "why would i do an insurance job on a car that owes me $15k and is insured for $5k" . Took me about 4 months to get my money.

I can understand why they would have investigated the theft....There were some and still are, some untoward people out there, that try dodgy claims....Back when this incident occurred, re-births were common place as well.

I'm not insinuating you are one of these people, but unfortunately, insurance companies think everyone is shifty

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
ye ,how things have changed , but I can guarantee what ever the assessor would have got for that car would have to be proved to the insurance company , maybe back then things were different but insurance company's mitigating there cost's haven't changed

EDIT: Everything was dodgy back then surrounding the insurance business

It actually sounds like the assessor would buy the car probably through a 3rd party, without the insurance companies knowledge and onsell it to another person....Similar to other people, where they buy and sell things to make a buck on the side

And no, I don't agree with the what the assessor did, or tried doing