Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who says Price rises are all about V8's

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Actually the Acclaim was a good model - IRS, ABS, airbags - stuff you can't retrofit. Just found the advert: 179,000 km is not worth $6500. Maybe if it had less than 100,000 km. Also says no aircon - that is surprising.
It was an ok model, but compare it to Berlina or even better a Calais and the Acclaim becomes pretty average.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The Acclaim was only ever a Executive with a safety pack added and was by far cheaper than an optioned up Exec, thus why they sold so many.

Must admit I didn't notice the NO A/C in that case he's absolutely dreaming at that ridiculous figure and also as suggested 179,000k's isn't super low, yes it is low for a 1997 built car, but it's not super low like 79,000k's would be seen as. I'm sure it will be discounted down to the mid 3's at some later stage.

Update !

It does have A/C (check the A?C button in the fascia panel next to the Rear Window Demist and Hazzard Flasher) but the idiot just hasn't corrected the generic tick and flick list in the gumtree listing process.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
The Acclaim was only ever a Executive with a safety pack added and was by far cheaper than an optioned up Exec, thus why they sold so many.

Correct, my '97 VS Exec had no airbags or ABS. I'm glad we are now at a point in time where basic safety features are standard across most trim levels of most models. And it's a blight on the recent history of car manufacturing that consumers were expected to pay extra for the 'privilege' in the past.

Luxury/sporting/convenience etc are the only features the manufacturers should ever have charged more for.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
And it's a blight on the recent history of car manufacturing that consumers were expected to pay extra for the 'privilege' in the past.

It's called evolution and it happens in all industries and facets of life.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's called evolution and it happens in all industries and facets of life.

Well no, it’s not evolution when the features actually existed but were only available to those with the means to pay extra for them.

Basic safety features should never have been an option.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I recall when seat belts were extra in a HD ~ HR.

Sorry but this is how humans have always made money and that is play on heart strings that you will be better protected if you pay a bit more.

I get your issue on right and wrong with this but that's how people are and sadly always will be. If there's a buck to be made watch em all line up.

My argument for years has always been "why are people so horrible to each other ?" when we've answered that then we'll have all the other answers.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
I get your issue on right and wrong with this but that's how people are and sadly always will be. If there's a buck to be made watch em all line up.

I understand how it was in the past, but at some point in the recent past in terms of basic safety, the industry has recognised (for the most part) that safety shouldn’t come at an extra cost.

It’s probably a moot point anyway. Most people these days seem to care more about ‘connectivity’ and having as little input into driving the car themselves as possible, rather than what happens when it all goes tits up..

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep pretty much have to agree with you on all those points. The "Tech" seems to be the most important thing nowadays, this is why I say many folks should ride the bus and stay off the road as a driver because they are in their own little world bopping along to their Doof Doof shite which is way more important than road rules it seems.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I understand how it was in the past, but at some point in the recent past in terms of basic safety, the industry has recognised (for the most part) that safety shouldn’t come at an extra cost.

The problem with new tech is it costs more when it's new and only drops in price as time goes on and manufacturing and supplying the tech becomes widespread. Consumers are partly to blame as they wouldn't have swallowed a base Commodore costing $35-$40k in the mid 90s just because it had all the safety gear Holden could get its hands on.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
they wouldn't have swallowed a base Commodore costing $35-$40k in the mid 90s just because it had all the safety gear Holden could get its hands on.

Very fair point