Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
just wish it did the same on long downhill roads, instead of letting the speed build up.

It doesn't suck. And cruise control in the VF SII SV6 (in my case, Sportwagon) does not build speed on long downhill roads. It is one of the best and smoothest cruise controls I've had, even better than my previous VZ (which also did not allow speed build up on downhills). I live adjacent to a 4km downhill slope freeway, and it holds the road speed dead steady at 103km/h. It also holds steady coming back (uphill), with no pulsing or swap-outs of gearing.

My return journey today from home to Mount Gambier (700km+) and back was on cruise control a lot of the time, only disengaging it for overtaking and coming into towns. Nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Seems engine type, engine tune and/or other firmware could have something to do with whether a specific car speeds up when on cruise and going down a hill... cause my Motorsport definitely increases speed in such instances...

Would I describe VF cruise as sucking... no, but it definitely isn’t a leading edge design...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
on the flats its perfect. just wish we had adaptive to combat the idiots constantly going up and down on open road.

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
And cruise control in the VF SII SV6 (in my case, Sportwagon) does not build speed on long downhill roads. It is one of the best and smoothest cruise controls I've had, even better than my previous VZ (which also did not allow speed build up on downhills). I live adjacent to a 4km downhill slope freeway, and it holds the road speed dead steady at 103km/h. It also holds steady coming back (uphill), with no pulsing or swap-outs of gearing.

Ah, well now you're quoting a specific example where the effect of gravity in speeding up a car is counterbalanced by the air resistance when travelling at highway speeds. It also depends on the degree of slope of course; when I travel on the South Eastern Freeway from Adelaide to Mount Barker at 110 - 115 km/h there are still several steep downhill bits where the car will pick up more and more speed, despite cruise control being on (and set at say 113 km/h).

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
a Motorsport is not the same as bog-standard VF SII SV6, so you might have a point about differences in
Seems engine type, engine tune and/or other firmware could have something to do with whether a specific car speeds up when on cruise and going down a hill... cause my Motorsport definitely increases speed in such instances...

Would I describe VF cruise as sucking... no, but it definitely isn’t a leading edge design...

A Motorsport is not the same as a VF SII SV6, so you might have a point, IDK.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah, well now you're quoting a specific example where the effect of gravity in speeding up a car is counterbalanced by the air resistance when travelling at highway speeds.

Er...what???
Something's up. If somebody's VF (of whatever flavour) is not maintaining the set speed on a downhill slope, have the car checked. I have nothing to report to the contrary about demonstrated speed gains, downhill or on the flats in my own VF — I just sit back and admire how well it does the task. Believe me, where I am the Constabulary have a very low tolerance for anybody going faster than the set speed on downhills (by even a paltry 3km/h, which is described as being a "dangerous excess"!) and also uphills — yes, the boys in blue/black and hi-vis are at the top of the hill keeping watch on leadfoots powering up the last hill before home...

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank god it doesn't have adaptive cruise control. I have a work 2017 VW Passat with it and it sucks.

I can confirm the Adaptive Cruise on the 2018 Tiguan is a right menace, too!!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
If somebody's VF (of whatever flavour) is not maintaining the set speed on a downhill slope, have the car checked.

every automatic ve and vf i have owned going down hill will easily speed up 10kph over the set cruise control speed forcing me to use the brakes but this is on a pretty long decent(3km or so), over about 1km it will do it.
the manual ones hold their speed a lot better in the same situation.

my automatic colorado will go into gradient braking mode and maintain the correct speed on the same hill

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Er...what???
Something's up. If somebody's VF (of whatever flavour) is not maintaining the set speed on a downhill slope, have the car checked.

Yeah, right. That's why Holden specifically warn about the car speeding up downhill under cruise control (see extract from owner's manual). As yours doesn't seem to do it, perhaps you need to have the handbrake checked -- could be the linings are binding. How's your fuel economy?
VFcruisecontrol.jpg