Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Our Ser II VE SV6 has no problems maintaining the set speed on cruise when we descend the Gateway bridges here in Brissy, in either direction.
I haven't driven a VF SV6 to know if it has the same capabilities as the VE but I can't imagine why it would be much different.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
STEEP being the operative word.

That's right! And none of the hills around here are steep, but they are downhills, very similar to those you find on the Hume Freeway from Melbourne to Sydney. If you're dropping down Baldwin Street in Dunedin/NZ, you better have cruise off and BOTH feet firmly on the brake!!

The last downhill here is a long, curving 3km in a 60km/h zone dropping to 50km/h (at a congested roundabout), so cruise is impractical and dangerous (and speed cameras are parked by the road!). Besides which, the view of the city coming down at night is a sight to behold -- go slow, real slow, and enjoy it!!:p

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I can confirm the Adaptive Cruise on the 2018 Tiguan is a right menace, too!!

I got really annoyed at a hire Rav4 we had in NZ with adaptive. It would sit about 200m back from the car in front. Its OK if your happy to go go at the pace of whoever's in front, but a pain if you get a dawdler.
However I had a Corolla recently with the same, but discovered the distance button! This made the holding distance much closer and I actually didn't mind it.

My perfect combo was my previous Merc in the UK. It would brake mildly when it detected a car in front, and almost cancel out some throttle response if you were a bit to close. This meant for moderate speed (50-70mph) heavy motorway traffic you could basically drive it one footed, but still be in control unlike adaptive. Very relaxing

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
eh, it's better than the VX and that was good enough for me for when i wanted it too. i prefer to be engaged with the car rather than completely switched off so making sure the cruise is doing it's job is a good thing if you ask me.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
cruise control works well but not market leading :eek:

I would have liked a long up press to increase speed 10kph while a short up press to increase 2kph. Similar logic for down press speed decrease. Icing on the cake would have been more positive engine braking when going down hill with ABS intervention if needed so as to avoid speeding fines going down hill.

That’s an easy firmware update for Holden to provide but Holden is Holden o_O

New Generation commodore has this but I think it's a pain. I use the + and _ to adjust speed sometimes and in the ZB it will jump too quick when holding the buttons too long.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
my automatic colorado will go into gradient braking mode and maintain the correct speed on the same hill

Have you ever wondered why the Colorado does this? Maybe the brakes wont pull it up. I love seeing it in the gradient brake mode when the engine is revving up near it's limit of 3,500 RPM and waiting for it to go bang!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That's right! And none of the hills around here are steep, but they are downhills, very similar to those you find on the Hume Freeway from Melbourne to Sydney.
There are quite a few hills on the Hume north of Canberra which would have Plod happily rubbing his hands together in glee if you didn't brake.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Adaptive cruise control…….. another unnecessary precursor to a “self driving car”, and another opportunity to turn your brain to “Off” while driving.

If I want cruise control, I will set it to the speed that I want, not the speed of whatever is in front of me. It is not that hard to judge speed and distance (or perhaps it is nowadays ).
As I wrote in another thread, I don’t need a light/chime to tell me that I am approaching a car in front of me, or that car which has just overtaken me and pulled in front. Blind people should not be driving cars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Adaptive cruise control…….. another unnecessary precursor to a “self driving car”, and another opportunity to turn your brain to “Off” while driving.

If I want cruise control, I will set it to the speed that I want, not the speed of whatever is in front of me.
Cruise control is supposed to make highway driving easier. If there are other road users around you're forever disabling it & enabling it, in fact I end up adjusting the set-speed up & down as much as possible as it's basically the same effort as braking & then turning the thing back on again all the time.

With adaptive cruise you can just cruise along & watch what's going on around you, and actually use the cruise control properly.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
With adaptive cruise you can just cruise along & watch what's going on around you, and actually use the cruise control properly.

Sorta agree there. Cruise is virtually useless on M1 Newcastle > Sydney, and you need to be alert in all directions, not in a semi-coma.