Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by ybl8te, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart I love puddles.

Members Ride:
    VF-SII SV6 (MY017) Sportwagon
    gerlytruk.
    LOL!! That's a tickler! :p

2. hademall

hademall New Member

Members Ride:
    VS CALAIS WAGON
    I’ve got a vf 2 calais wagon, it gains speed going downhill on cc. Disappointing, considering I had Great Wall X200 previously which maintained set speed on cc going up or down hills.

3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    That’s only because the Great Wall has the aerodynamics of a house-brick ...

Anthony121, Paulie81 and Geoff6666 like this.
  4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Going up hill? :p

5. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Hopefully, off a cliff...

Anthony121 and SSteve like this.
  6. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Profit making gerlytruks are the way forward.
    Ford, Mazda, Toyota, Nissan all have some sort of small UV that is a derivative of their small FWD hatchbacks, just add new body panels, some black plastic around the wheel arches, an extra 30mm of ride height ……. instant make believe 4WD, and much more $$$$ over similar hatchback.

7. hademall

hademall New Member

Members Ride:
    VS CALAIS WAGON
    True

8. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Only for the manufacturer ... they are Death Of The Soul for drivers. :(

Geoff6666 likes this.
  9. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    only if you buy one.

10. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    The CX3 had to be my favourite. Its clearly a mazda 2 jacked up with cladding and they charge almost 10k more for it!

11. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    It's been clinically proven that an SUV that's within 20m of a human for over 47 minutes can remove a measurable portion of soul.

Additionally, when there's nothing else available ... :(

mpower likes this.
  12. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    i buy used cars and keep them for some time, I have no inkling to replace my VF and can't see that I will either.

abuch47 likes this.
  13. BlackVXGTS

BlackVXGTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
    Getting back to the subject of cruise control, rather that digressing to other matters, it seems that the major issue is the lack of engine braking in modern cars.

Doesn't really matter whether you have an auto or a manual, you are going to pick up speed on even to slightest of hills, even if your foot is off the accelerator pedal. You can't really blame the VF cruise control for not being able to do something that you can't do yourself, even if you have full control of the car, without resorting to use of the brake pedal. If Holden installed active cruise control, presumably it would adversely impact the results they get from the (totally unrealistic) fuel consumption tests.

Perhaps there is a wider conspiracy here. Car Companies making it more difficult for drivers to stick to the speed limit so that the Government makes more revenue from speed camera fines ??? Damn, I just digressed to other matters (LOL).

426Cuda and Lex like this.
  14. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    The SSVR is my wife's car.
    My car is a 1979 Volvo 242. :)

Which is very much along the line of why I came back to this thread; had to drive down to The Shire to attend a meeting for Mum (with her retirement fund financial advisor) this morning, and coasted in 5th in the brick-shaped Volvo down the same hill that in the Commodore would have me doing 120 by the bottom if doing 80 at the top. Aerodynamics I think more than engine-braking means I pretty much didn't need the brake at all. Which worked well 'cos Plod was halfway down. :D

Except that when there's an ABS & brake-priming anti-collision system, it can't have been hard for them to build in braking while under cruise; it wouldn't need a full radar-cruise system (technology they obviously didn't have available to them off the GM shelf - that collision warning system false-warns all the time).

15. berlina411

berlina411 Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
    just another thought to throw out there...
    Active cruise will keep your car at the set speed when going down a hill. Great. But how does it achieve this? I assume by using the brakes??
    So on a longish down hill on a 40 degree day you're going to have mighty hot brakes at the bottom of that hill.
    Like I said before, I use the gears to keep my speed and I have no need for long brake times. Do the same in the truck, no problems whatsoever. I like to drive my vehicles and know I am in control, not have them drive me.

426Cuda likes this.
  16. Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart I love puddles.

Members Ride:
    VF-SII SV6 (MY017) Sportwagon
    Engine braking, I think that's what it's called. I can feel engine or gradient braking at the beginning of the longish downhill 15 kays from my home; it feels like the engine is gently "breathing" just when it senses the slope down, with not one iota of speed gained. I notice everybody else has their foot on the brake, but not me: I'm in a "holding pattern"! It's probable that some other cars actively apply brakes. And for that reason your observation about mighty hot brakes holds true.

Once the slope is finished, the car then resumes the normal process of holding speed (there is no detectable jarring or jerking) all the way to the next non-event: a long uphill. There is no changing of gears on this uphill; I disengage cruise 2/3 up, or I will fly up the off-ramp and through the T-intersection at the top! My trip home from Albury today, straight after brekky, will be 440km -- about 5 hours (with stops) and 98% cruise control.

17. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Two of three rentals I had while on hols in 2018 had active cruise, a petrol Golf and a diesel Jag XE. Both would drop back a gear as well as using the brakes. The brakes were on & off, too, they'd let you go a little over then brake lightly to bring it back & then let it go again.

In NSW (and even more so Victoria!), a longish downhill on a 40 degree day would have a cop with a radar-gun at the bottom of it, so even if you're not on cruise you have to use the brakes!!

18. Holden17

Holden17 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
    Yeah that launch effect as you approach the crest of some hills can be a bit of an adrenaline rush...mostly for passengers who aren’t expecting it :eek:

19. mirrabucca

mirrabucca Member

Members Ride:
    VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
    Different cars coast at different speeds... If your car "naturally " coasts at 100kph down a particular hill, you will have to keep an eye on the speed as any tailwind or slight increase in gradient will render your driving "dangerous"
    Check the instantaneous fuel consumption. Is it reading 0 litres per 100 k's when the speed is increasing down a hill? If so, then the cruise control is doing all it can to slow you down. Next "step" is using the brakes...
    oh, and if you think VW's and VF Commodores are bad, try a Holden Cruze! My wifes Cruze will sit on the desired speed until a hill comes up. It then delays the trottle increase until too late. It then decides a lower gear is necessary - but it delays that too, until too late. The it jumps two gears (6th to 4th) or maybe even 3rd. Revs jump to 4 or 5000. Lots of engine screaming and passengers wondering what happened, by now we are over the hill...
    Best solution is to leave the gear lever in manual 6th. When a hill comes up, watch the fuel consumption (as a guide to engine load). When it gets down to about 10 LPk, manually select 5th. That does it. Gets way better economy that way too.

20. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    My E3 Maloo (MY12.5) has 'semi active' cruise control, as in, if it overspeed's the commanded speed, it will apply the brake.
    I thought that would carry over to VF, but it obviously didn't...
    Does the Gen-F HSV's have active, or semi active cruise control?