Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who thinks the cruise control system in the VF sucks?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think VF cruise control is great.
Better ergonomics than VE. Maintains commanded speed better than a VE.
There is a section of road that I frequent that is downhill, and 60kph.
The VE will overspeed if commanded to 60kph.
The Maloo will get to 64kph, and then gently applies the brakes.
The Magnum maintains 60kph all the way down the hill. If I disable cruise, it will overspeed.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Have you ever wondered why the Colorado does this? Maybe the brakes wont pull it up. I love seeing it in the gradient brake mode when the engine is revving up near it's limit of 3,500 RPM and waiting for it to go bang!

I wish i could turn it off because it does sound like it wants to go bang lol
I just disable cruise control when i reach the hill now and that stops it kicking in.

The brakes are not that bad, i was towing a 7x5 unbraked trailer full of wood/bricks(junk from a renovation) and some asshole pulled out on me as they do and the colorado7 pulled up pretty quick and short.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I think it depends on the amount of traffic. It's great for light traffic, but in heavier it's useless.
I use it mainly to keep under the speed limit, and so I can permanently watch the road.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
i was towing a 7x5 unbraked trailer full of wood/bricks(junk from a renovation) and some asshole pulled out on me as they do and the colorado7 pulled up pretty quick and short.

Do you have red hair, and would that asshole been a goat with load of rocks in a barrow ?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Sorta agree there. Cruise is virtually useless on M1 Newcastle > Sydney, and you need to be alert in all directions, not in a semi-coma.
Was thinking about it at lunch & thought I should maybe qualify my statement about the awesomeness of the Golf radar-cruise; it was while driving around the UK, and say what you might about personal hygeine habits & bad teeth, they're definitely better drivers than Australians have become.
I guess it's possible that the amazing lack of lane-discipline in Australia would make radar-cruise as much of a fight as it does generic ol' VF cruise, except for super light traffic; and yeah, I had the M1 in mind when thinking about that. :)

I use it mainly to keep under the speed limit, and so I can permanently watch the road.
Hmm, indeed ... in fact, I think that the HUD in the VF has probably de-prioritised cruise as a desirement for me. But then there's not going to be much around that has a HUD and yet doesn't have cruise! :)

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
Is that because the Colorado is generally slow but likes to think it’s a Range Rover with hill decent assist :p

Diesel compression would be the main reason.

The cruise control in my manual Triton is the worst. When going down hill it will not increase speed but because of the compression it will slow down too much, so it accelerates only to speed up too much, so it cuts the fuel to slow down. Then it’s going to slow so speeds up, then it’s going too fast so slows down. This goes on for the entire hill. It feels like the car is going to start kangaroo hopping.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Diesel compression would be the main reason.

The cruise control in my manual Triton is the worst. When going down hill it will not increase speed but because of the compression it will slow down too much, so it accelerates only to speed up too much, so it cuts the fuel to slow down. Then it’s going to slow so speeds up, then it’s going too fast so slows down. This goes on for the entire hill. It feels like the car is going to start kangaroo hopping.

I'm getting motion sickness just reading that.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I literally drive my car with the CC on the highway , I consider it a challenge to use the clicker to slow down and accelerate without using the brake or accelerator , Its a challenge dealing with idiots that think doing a 100k or less in a 110k zone is the way to go , or the dead heads that do 90k in the left lane !!!!
I find the speed is quite consistant and only gains slightly up hill if at all , though it does feel that it is speeding up , but is a little slow to pull up downhill , in saying that my car is fairly modded and did notice a difference in CC after my last tune

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ In VIC there was a road safety campaign to “wipe off 5 to stay alive”. NSW had “don’t rush” while QLD had “no time for speeding”. Other states & territories pushed similar propaganda.

Such ads created an attitude that driving a little slower than the limit was safer. However, when over reading speedos were factored in, it often meant that people were doing up to 10kph below the speed limit. Driving driving within the conditions fell from the radar, so 90kph in a 100 zone in the pissing rain was considered safe by Joe Average.

All this did was create frustration for capable drivers that simply wanted to drive at the limit in safe conditions :oops: Way to dumb down the population’s driving skills o_O