Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who told me this was f#$@n easy tail shaft center bearing

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
i recently changed my tailshaft center bearing on my 94 vr series 2 v6, green i love it now im not a mechanic but im pretty knowledgable when it comes to cars so any positive advise will help.
as i said i changed the bearing in the process some one marked over my guide mark now the bottom half of the tailshaft was realined with its marks but the front half im not 100% sure it made its marks ,as i drive below 40 its fine but as increase gently to about 60 /80 its got a small vibration in the back,everything else is sweet other then that ,know does it need time to wear in the new bearing an it rubber as the old one was rooted but i didnt relise till it got real stiff an strain the shaft alot could it be so worn that the components have to re wear back in or no.? or i have i missed some thin the bracket that holds the center straight do i need to reallign or something because everything else is tight an smooth running any help would be ace thanks guys

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
check that the center bearing support is fitted correctly
like the tailshaft shold be as straight as possible so if a washer was under each bolt for the support
it should be refitted as it came out

check bolts on diff to shaft are tight they come loose easily if not tight enough

check bolts, centermount correctly fitted
and isnt tight onto rubber section like sticking on it should be able to move it up and down a bit with cars wheels on ground

they do not need to run in they should fit and be no shudder instantly

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Did you line up the unis as best you could, like front in the same position as the rear. pretty sure its called tailshaft phasing not 100% sure.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can try removing the tailshaft from the diff and turning it 180 degrees and then reconnect it again..Ive ran into similar problems before and found that when I turned the tailshaft 180 degrees,and reconnected it to the diff again,the vibration went away.

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
its only a slight vibration an it feels right in the middle ill go over everything an just make sure its sweet also when i separated the two shafts the realining notches were erased , so dont think the bottom half an top a matched are they balanced in anyway so when you put em togethr they have to match or it dont matter. an thanks for the help.

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
yeah i had a pretty good go, so the top an bottom half have to match do they cause they were in different positions when they put em back together they messed up the marks an i did the best i could to make em the same but is there a way you can tell like my shaft has little plate style frame metal clips welded here an ther on it , a way basically to tell to re aling properly

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As mentioned above the phasing is probably wrong.The gregorys workshop manuals say that if you seperate the two tailshaft halves,make sure the two halves are re assembled exactly as they came apart,otherwise the tailshaft phasing will be wrong.I cant explain exactly what phasing is or how its adjusted or set,and the manual doesnt say anything else about it, you will probably have to see a mechanic about it to get it set right.

markhayes

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore v6
well straight up thats what it would be i change it over an let you know how i go. thanks brett .

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
phasing refers to the point at which a unis tightest point matches other tightest points or corners in the tailshafts movent

so if two unis are exactly the same way round on the shaft they can bind up
this is why when you run a car wheels off the ground slow km/hr it looks like the center bearing moves just so slightly forwards and backwards...
i am talking very tiny fyi like as in see it by hand with a dial gauge

if the tailshaft6 is unbalanced or out of phase get another tailshaft OR take it to a DRIVELINE specialiust e.g. rebuild cv shafts they can refit the shaft parts correctly by meausuring it and fro experience ive noticed~!