Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who's Using an Aftermarket ECU?

VNS50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ss Commodore
Just getting an idea of what aftermarket ecu's and ignitions are being used on earlier v8 commodores.

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
I'm using one of these HOME PAGE
The normal ECU and ignition box are still in place and the ignition box now drives this thing and it drives the coil.
Works well for me.

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
Why would you want to change from the delco? Its has more flexibility than most after market ECU's.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Why would you want to change from the delco? Its has more flexibility than most after market ECU's.

What he says ^^^^

Short of a wild motor the factory delco efi unit and a tune performs fantastically well. Same goes for the factory ignition setup (in good condition). The biggest single gain I have found is replacing the coil (often the original one) with a MEC transformer style one from Bosch. Obviously make sure the leads, plugs, rotor button/cap are all in top condition too. Reco injectors also help if the originals have never been professionally cleaned.

Reaper

VNS50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ss Commodore
What he says ^^^^

Short of a wild motor the factory delco efi unit and a tune performs fantastically well. Same goes for the factory ignition setup (in good condition). The biggest single gain I have found is replacing the coil (often the original one) with a MEC transformer style one from Bosch. Obviously make sure the leads, plugs, rotor button/cap are all in top condition too. Reco injectors also help if the originals have never been professionally cleaned.

Reaper

Im sure if you would like map a delco memcal solder eproms fun...
although if you think it would it no be easier to have on the fly programing over certain factors ... nos staging turbos/superchargers live monitoring/modification to the fuel/spark/auxtimings etc.etc.
thats cool

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
You can do all of that and more with the delco and if you don't want to, you don't have to solder a thing.

With the right software base you can have twin spark and fuel maps that you can change on the fly, extremely accurate knock sensors, waste gate controllers, air temp corrections, lean cruise, MAP or MAF, tables that go to 9600RPM, the list can go on and on.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I've got a Kalkmaker in my VH, which is just a real time Delco. Plug a laptop in and do anything you want. As mentioned 2 different ignition & fuel maps that can be switched with an external switch.

does everything most of the aftermarket units like Haltech can do, plus more. Just wish I was aware when I bought it that you can hack the Delco (DIY) fairly easily & cheap to do the same thing, and make use of more modern software/laptops

VNS50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ss Commodore
tables that go to 9600RPM
is that a limitation i smell
will delco work on future firmware or support you just asking im not sure if they would or wouldn't ...seems a bit **** sory but it just does... umm red tape any1?

kalmaker.com

PS um thinking the thread was called "Who's Using an Aftermarket ECU?" Not (Who's Using an Aftermarket ECU? OR stock & if so stock feell free to defend the ****-outa it like its already done something wrong

thanks for your input anways

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
I am running a Haltech E6GMX and Cran Fireball ignition system in my VN. Would have liked to tune the delco but nobody has Kalmaker up here. I've still got the old ecu with the kalmaker memcal from the old motor and the haltech being plug in I can change back any time. Which is what I plan to do when I take it to a decent tuner.