Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why are these old Eurovox Radio cassettes so damm dear ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I've just been looking on eBay and Gumtree at the old original Eurovox Radio Cassettes and can't believe how much some of these clowns are asking for these old bangers with terrible electronics inside of them.

I get it if you are rebuilding a Brock or Genuine HSV and want one of those that are period correct and also some have the name "Peter Brock" on the cassette flap, but honestly these old standard rubbish bin units that sound absolutely hideous can hardly be called collectable or desirable can they ?

So what I am asking is, is anyone seeing something I'm not or is it just because old Astor Air Chief radio to suit HK's etc. are now so dear that all these backyard wreckers are trying to create a false economy and think they can extort around $300 for a radio without it's PIN number ?

I'd love to hear your views.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its ridiculous. Not sure if they can be bought yet in Oz. But in the States you can buy period head units that are old on the outside but hi tec on the inside, with bluetooth, RCAs and the like.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah it's a joke...I cringe at the price for vp parts & money people want for junk parts all because they think it's holden they'll make good money from it.

Just don't buy from ripoff merchants...either something else will pop up at a reasonable price or eventually overpriced parts come down.

Had this debate with a local wrecker wanting $2-300 for vn radio no pin,no vin,no warranty...bought one from another wrecker for $10 a few months later

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
A good buy for someone who needs this setup to complete a stock Resto

VS Statesman Eurovox 10 CD stacker and Head unit,
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/inm...=socialbuttons&utm_content=android_VIP_sticky

Price: $75
Screenshot_20200209-172529~2.png

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Probably because people just binned them and fitted a aftermarket unit for more power and better functions, mp3 took over from cd, now we moved on again to SD cards, flash drive even candy play and Bluetooth, technology moves on and there no call for them unless you want to put a car together as original condition.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Yep and the likes of this.

I get that Losh, but those radios are as common as muck and definitely not hard to come by at all. Everyone pulls them out and replaces them with a Pioneer or Kenwood HU as they are just so much better than Eurovox's garbage electronics of the day. Only the Calais and Statesman units were a bit better in sound quality if a better set of speakers are employed over the standard paper coned rattlers that were very very average indeed.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah , see on a few facebook groups , people who obviously as kids grew up with vn - vs , now getting them and I recon spending some coin on their childhood dream muscle car.
Wouldn't be surprised if wreckers trying to cash in on this and no more aussie car manufacturing .
Glad my maloo still had the eurovox unit in it when I bought ( now packed away and a good pioneer with bluetooth and ipod connectivity in it).
Don't think it was the base stereo either , certainly don't believe the electric aerial was standard in the vs series I maloo.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
certainly don't believe the electric aerial was standard in the vs series I maloo.
I think you will find it was standard in any ute that wasn't full pov pack VR and on. Mine had a factory power antenna and mine is an S Pack, one up from base.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pretty sure the Maloo had the up and down buttons under the screen like the callas on the eurovox.