Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why can't Holden smash its competitors?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Puggle said:
Thankyou everyone for great responses-especially HALOEIGHT.

I understand now!

I really don't see how Ford can manage to still sell XRs though, except to the die hards. With the VE outclassing the BF in so many ways, and the fact that the VE is a starting point for much more future advances, whereas the Boss V8 is the last engine they currently fit into the XR8, I'm happy for our favourite brand.

Here's a new question: What do we think of the new Ford vehicle coming in ?2009? ? 'Orion' or whatever. I've looked for info on google but can't find anything meaningful.

Cheers, Matt

Selling cars is much like politics. The car companies are targeting around 15% of the market. The *Vast* majority will roll up to the dealership and buy a Holden/Ford/Toyota/Whatever because that is what they always get every few years. It is very unlikely that they will ever change. It is the "swinging voters" that the car companies need to woo.

As for the Orion, I believe it is scheduled for release near the end of the 1st quarter of 2008. I have no details as yet but would expect it to be a very good product.

Reaper

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
vztrt said:
Where did you hear this, why would they need to make an all alloy engine as it would only drop bout 10kg in the overall weight of the car.

Also an Orion will be built before the year is out.

I read about the alloy conversion for the block a while ago, but I admit it doesnt seem worth it. The Ford guys also reckon they might/should destroke the engine back to a 3.6L... but I doubt that will happen.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
The Ford LTD and Fairmonts dont look to continue with the 2008 Falcon with combined sales now under 100 a month, it just doesnt seem profitable for Ford with the Statesman and Caprice being such a strong seller.

I doubt Ford will discontinure the Fairmont or the Fairmont Ghia as these are the main rivals for Berlina and Calais. Now that the bar has been raised even higher with the likes of Calais V, Ford will have to seriously re-invent the Fairmont and Fairmont Ghia to even hope to come close to Holden.

The FAIRLANE and LTD models are likely to be dropped by Ford as their combined sales for the current calendar year to date are less than 600. Although Ford's official statements on the matter are they have not made a decision on this and will be thinking long and hard about it... Fairlane is now the oldest Australian built production car brand in the country so there is some iconic value in it. But without the export market like that of Holden's Statesman and Caprice export market, the Fairlane and LTD's days seem numbered... Most sales are Government, Taxi & hire cars. I would love to know the total private sale numbers. Probably less than 100 nation wide.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah man thats what I meant. Fairlane not Fairmont. Sorry, I was typing not thinking and got my words mixed up... Will fix that now... I obviously didnt mean fairmont because their sales combined with LTD are gonna be above 100 a month :p