Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why delivery of some VF models is so slow

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
The following may give some solace to those waiting delivery of their new VF:

Holdenwheels_zps07aa19ab.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I have been waiting nearly 3 months for the full alloy spare for my Calais V as it was not shipped on delivery. The car was one of the initial cars shipped to dealers which were delivered as is. I have been told that to get the spare the dealer is sourcing it from Holden spares and HSVi ?? and I was told it would cost them about $1000 to source it.

It is really p*ss poor that Holden sources it wheels from the US when ROH is a long time manufacturer of wheels in Australia and is located in Adelaide at Woodville nearby. Holden would not have any freight or delivery issues if they sourced them from ROH.

Governments of both persuasions should demand more local content from Holden for any more money as the Commodore is currently just below 50% local content V6 only and V8 much less, and the Cruze about 35% and much of these figures are made up of direct Holden labour. So the number of Australian sourced components if fairly low. I also had a look at my Calais V and found a lot components with Chinese characters and listed as Made in China. I suspect these components are sourced from the Park Avenue which is assembled in China. Refer to the url below for more details.

All of this very disappointing especially when you compare the falcon has 70% local content and the Aurion 60%

Buick reintroduces the Park Avenue...in China - Autoblog

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I have been waiting nearly 3 months for the full alloy spare for my Calais V as it was not shipped on delivery. The car was one of the initial cars shipped to dealers which were delivered as is. I have been told that to get the spare the dealer is sourcing it from Holden spares and HSVi ?? and I was told it would cost them about $1000 to source it.

It is really p*ss poor that Holden sources it wheels from the US when ROH is a long time manufacturer of wheels in Australia and is located in Adelaide at Woodville nearby. Holden would not have any freight or delivery issues if they sourced them from ROH.

Governments of both persuasions should demand more local content from Holden for any more money as the Commodore is currently just below 50% local content V6 only and V8 much less, and the Cruze about 35% and much of these figures are made up of direct Holden labour. So the number of Australian sourced components if fairly low. I also had a look at my Calais V and found a lot components with Chinese characters and listed as Made in China. I suspect these components are sourced from the Park Avenue which is assembled in China. Refer to the url below for more details.

All of this very disappointing especially when you compare the falcon has 70% local content and the Aurion 60%

Buick reintroduces the Park Avenue...in China - Autoblog

And when they source the more expensive parts from Australia, and in turn raise the cost of a new Commodore, everyone bitches that it costs too much and buys something else.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
And when they source the more expensive parts from Australia, and in turn raise the cost of a new Commodore, everyone bitches that it costs too much and buys something else.

How do the other manufacturers to it then?

Freestyla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redoine

Have you seen the basic crap interior and average outdated exteriors that Ford and Toyota sell?

I agree we bitch and moan when the price is too high, it's that double edged sword when you realise all that bitching has caused our Aussie manufacturing to fall in a heap and components are sourced from other countries.

Perhaps we should start spending some more and supporting local industries before it all goes belly up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina

Ford can't, thats why they are ceasing production, and Toyota make a loss on every vehicle manufactored and sold in Australia. Your answer, they don't.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
The sad fact is that the VF has a much better and nicer interior than the VE because most of it is sourced from OS and not from Australia although the dash is still assembled at Elizabeth just as the VE was. It is a cop out that the Australian sourced parts are always more expensive than OS. To source wheels from the US is demonstrates this. Of course if they are sourced from China or from Thailand (thanks Howard for the so called free trade agreement which has decimated our manufacturing industry especially the auto industry.) Remember when Toyota Australia tried to export Camry models to Thailand, the Thai Govt put a 50% tax on them and made them unviable to sell there. The Australian market and Government continue with this bullsh*t about free markets and open markets where no one else does it. Remember Holden tried to sell G8 to the US and could not sell more than 18000 due to the restrictions imposed by the US auto unions and the so call free trade market with the US (again thank you Howard for this.) Someone must have got a large brown paper bag with these free trade agreements.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Just got my Calais V after 3 month wait, still another Month on the SSV Redline ordered.... will be 4 months

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ford can't, thats why they are ceasing production, and Toyota make a loss on every vehicle manufactored and sold in Australia. Your answer, they don't.

Toyota loosing money of every car built in Australia is a bit of a con. Much of their supply is via Denso and other wholly owned subsidiaries manufacturing in Aus who fly under the govco radar who do very well for themselves. What that means is that the parent (Toyota) can show a "loss" to the government so they can find subsidies for manufacturing in Aus whilst overall as a corporation TOYOTA does quite well out of the whole arrangement. Thats not to say that in the whole wash TOYOTA doesn't loose money on manufacturing in Aus but the figures quoted need to be taken with a big grain of sand.

Not sure about the $$$ quoted to you but overall the concept is correct. To buy the wheel as a spare part it would cost the dealer heaps, whilst as an OEM option on a new car just peanuts. The trouble is, in order to do that they need a car ordered for stock which just isn't happening just yet.

it's all about $$$. For Holden it's a good problem to have. The V models = biggest margin by far for them. To have them as the sales winner is about as good as it gets for a manufacturer. Same goes with HSV. Uptake of the GTS is great whilst the other models is ok at best. I still say the canny buyer will see some awesome deals around Q2 next year when the pent up demand is satisfied. Rumour has it that there will be some (non publicised) factory incentives to HSV dealers to shift some of the lower spec cars (Clubby/Sen/Maloo) in Oct.

Part of the problem is that some of the FTA's we have are not quite as "free" as you might think. IMO Govco should offer exempt or substantially reduced FBT and LCT on Australian built cars which I suspect would be so near to revenue neutral it's not funny, or at worst minimal cost. At what % a car is defined as Aus built might be an argument for another thread but it's one way that govco can help our local manufacturers without just writing out a check.

The sad fact is that the VF has a much better and nicer interior than the VE because most of it is sourced from OS and not from Australia although the dash is still assembled at Elizabeth just as the VE was.

Huh? Which bit of the VF interior is better because it's sourced OS? That stuff is all about $$$. Nobody buys something subject to international shipping, dock workers, customs etc unless there is a compelling case otherwise - which in the case here is all about money.

It is a cop out that the Australian sourced parts are always more expensive than OS. To source wheels from the US is demonstrates this.

Can you tell me the unit cost to Holden of the ROH product vs the NA product? Without this information I'd find it difficult to see how you can make this conclusion.

Of course if they are sourced from China or from Thailand (thanks Howard for the so called free trade agreement which has decimated our manufacturing industry especially the auto industry.)

For the Auto industry FTA's have had bugger all to do with it. It was actually the Button Plan, adopted under the Hawke (Labor) government in the mid 80's that set the framework for phasing out import tariffs on cars. Undoubtedly the Australian consumer has been a winner here with better cars that are far cheaper than they ever have been in history (as a proportion of the average wage).

Remember when Toyota Australia tried to export Camry models to Thailand, the Thai Govt put a 50% tax on them and made them unviable to sell there. The Australian market and Government continue with this bullsh*t about free markets and open markets where no one else does it. Remember Holden tried to sell G8 to the US and could not sell more than 18000 due to the restrictions imposed by the US auto unions and the so call free trade market with the US (again thank you Howard for this.) Someone must have got a large brown paper bag with these free trade agreements.

There is no doubt that Australia as a whole is far better off with these FTA's. I agree though that some work must be done to tidy up the stupidity you mentioned above. Overall the American auto workers union is only a shadow of its former self in the way it can stand over GM/Ford/Chysler. The GFC & subsequent bankruptcies of Chrysler & GM saw that happen. As for Thailand - I think Australia needs to grow a set and call their government into line on that one.

Last edited: