Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why did you choose a VL?

GLD-086

Reaction score
Ok so we all know, that VLs are possibly the most controversial Holden ever made, so what made you go for a VL and not the other Commodores or even a R31?

For me, it was their looks.

I didn't learn they had a Nissan engine, until a mate told me a couple of days later, after I got mine.:)

Despite all the heat they cop, from the domestic and import side, I still love them too death and IMHO I still regard them as one of the best Commodores ever made.

Calais Turbo=Legend
Walky=Legend
SS Group A= Legend

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
i chosse the vl for its looks too, and i was in the same boat didnt know much about them just the fact i liked its shape.

and people say it has one of the worst/cheaps interiors of a commie, well i dont think that, i see it as simple and not to clutterd :thumbsup:

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
I didnt know it was a nissan motor till after i had mine either
but still i think they are one of th sexiest body in any commodore

i would defiantely take a walky any day

Jimboss

Reaction score
Although i own a VH, i was seriously looking at getting a VL, but circumstances changed and i got the VH (definately not complaining).

I do like the look of VL's, except maybe the boot lip, i'm not a fan of that, but the Calais lights are awesome. The only bad thing about the VL is the crap people you see behind the wheel of alot of them (who think a big shiney set of rims is what makes a car).

Just my thoughts on the VL.

VRFURY

Just Nic
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Berlina International Sportswagon
you talking bout most of us fully sick VL drivers then that are way fully sick and so much better than every one else.

you no the boot lip is the part i like on the vl ohhhhhhh sexy

Fr3ak+--

Closed On Monday
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec 5 Speed
i brought one becuase of the amount of **** u can do to them and the price u can get them for

B

BoostinJet

Reasons:
no 1) The engines are the best to be turbo/ or to turbo.

no 2) The look of the car of course, wouldn't buy a car that you think looks ****.

no 3) The amount of power you can put in2 them is insane.

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
bought mine cos when i first moved here on way from airport i was like WTF is that they look sexy few months laster i moved here for good and got one and the boot lid is the sex

GLD-086

Reaction score
Jimboss said:
. The only bad thing about the VL is the crap people you see behind the wheel of alot of them (who think a big shiney set of rims is what makes a car).

Wouldn't that go for 90% of Commies though?

I've seen alot of idiots drive VNs,VPs,VRs,VSs,VTs etc.

I know this is off topic, but I was walking to a mate's place when, this dude in a VN SS, flew past me (Probably doing 120-130) and it was screeching up the hill. lol

I've seen him around before.

Certainly makes VN drivers, look like morons.

VL Berlina 5speed said:
and people say it has one of the worst/cheaps interiors of a commie, well i dont think that, i see it as simple and not to clutterd :thumbsup:

I don't mind VL interiors, too be honest.

You're exactly right, they are simple and not clusterd and IMO the star wars VK dash, is the worst dash ever in a Commie.

If people want to see a ugly interior, they should see the Ford rival of the VL. The XF, because that is one of the ugliest interiors ever.

XEs have better interiors. IMO

Last edited:

Jimboss

Reaction score
I just meant that because more of them are turbo's, they are more popular for 'street racer' wog types, i don't mean to bag out any of you guys and gals, you are exactly right, ********s drive all sorts of cars, but from what I have experienced, more VL drivers are tools than not.