Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why do people hoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Agree... part of preventing any sort of illegal activity is providing a legal alternative. Even with the expense and difficulty of finding an alternative though, it is still only a "reason" not an excuse. Another thing they could do is toughen up the laws so there is a definite impact on the hoon than just taking the bus for a few months. Car should be impounded for every hoon related offence, and should be auctioned off after the second one. How are these people going to do burnouts on foot?
But that is not tackling WHY they are doing it in the first place. I think to stop hooning (to an extent, you will never stop it completely some idiots just love the thrill) will take two things.
1) Education - Show them what damage they can do to themselves, friends, family and others. Explain how they will be punished and how this will effect there lives and those around them.
2) Alternatives - Basicaly as I said above, provide other cost effective means of entertainment to replace racing on the street. Why not have a government funded race meet, where the winner recives free rego for two years and the runner up for a year? Would cost them all of $1500 per state, get tons of people attending (who wouldn't want free rego), show a positive spin on P platers for once instead of just ways to get money out of us and make the party look great!
AirStrike :air:

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
How are these people going to do burnouts on foot?
why would they when you can pick up un regestered VN's for $200 at most (your tyres cost that much so why not a car to go with it), GIVE ME A PLACE TO GO AND I WILL nothing less nothing more just a place to go is all i ask!

NO qld raceway is not an option because you can't go around the track there (you need a cams licence before they'll even look at you) and to me drags are pathetic theres no skill in mashing your foot to the floor.

once again Lakeside was a place to go, but the government thought it would be better to shut it down due to residents winging (even though the track had been there for years)

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
1. theres always people who dont give a flying cat about the law. and no number of fines/licence loss will stop them.
2. going to the drags (expense wise) would prolly cost as much as a fine.
3. no amount of eduucation on effects of speeding/whatnot will really affect anyone, i for one love crashing cars (yes, its sick and disturbing but meh)

in my town every friday/saturday nite theres illegal drags at like midnite cuz theres nowhere else to go...

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Everyone so far has made excellent points...

1. There are insufficient legal alternatives
2. There are always going to be drivers who think it won't happen to them
3. The penalties are not harsh enough to outweigh the benefits (not my opinion! I see no benefits! hoons do, however.)

So then the only effective fix is a multi-faceted approach. Harsher penalties, correctly and fairly targeted of course, more easily accessible legal alternatives, and better driver education.

If I were to hear of the government taking these approaches I would be extremely happy!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Everyone so far has made excellent points...

1. There are insufficient legal alternatives
2. There are always going to be drivers who think it won't happen to them
3. The penalties are not harsh enough to outweigh the benefits (not my opinion! I see no benefits! hoons do, however.)

So then the only effective fix is a multi-faceted approach. Harsher penalties, correctly and fairly targeted of course, more easily accessible legal alternatives, and better driver education.

If I were to hear of the government taking these approaches I would be extremely happy!
But you won't. This would stop people being ********s, stop people killing themselves and stop the old folks from voting for that government due to there harsh hoon policies..............so basically you wont hear it as it wont make money.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
But you won't. This would stop people being ********s, stop people killing themselves and stop the old folks from voting for that government due to there harsh hoon policies..............so basically you wont hear it as it wont make money.

yeah you are dead right there... Our system of government is flawed. It relies on scapegoating to deflect the voters attention away from real problems and mistakes the government has made.

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
yeah you are dead right there... Our system of government is flawed. It relies on scapegoating to deflect the voters attention away from real problems and mistakes the government has made.

too true, corruption is the biggest problem. laws mainly seem to be made to make money, not safety. the best way to control hooning IS better driver training, harsher penalties and legal events. cops canarying people outside meets is just another way for the government to take our hard earned money...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
we have had a lot of trouble with the local boy racers, there was one enterprising business man who had some unused land and had offered to create a large skip pan(in a industrial area) with concrete barriers etc. $5 entry to do what you wanted on it as long as it has reg and WOF and a drivers licence. guess what. the local coucil shot it down. half the problem is the fact that there is nothing for the youth to do these days and the government/local councils have no plans of making it easier to keep these people entertained

crack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S V6 manual ute
my point of view

I for one love driving my car hard, but I hate having to go to some deserted road in the middle of nowhere and the whole time feel guilty about having fun in my car. In the eyes of the law I’m just as bad as those who race on the roads and drive recklessly in populated areas and this makes me sick to the stomach. There is not a strip or track within a million miles from where I live so that is not an option. Sure, I could take up gokarting or motorbiking, but the fact is I love working on the car and testing it out on the road. I agree with those who say there needs to be something done about this escalating problem.

By the way…
Before you open your mouths to criticise “hoons” think back to when you were a kid. If you ever went through a phase of “spirited” driving then you are a f**king hypocrite. A couple of older people that I know are completely against “hooning” (which is fair enough) but get a couple of drinks into them and the stories they start saying about what they did on the roads when they were younger are unbelievable.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
By the way…
Before you open your mouths to criticise “hoons” think back to when you were a kid. If you ever went through a phase of “spirited” driving then you are a f**king hypocrite. A couple of older people that I know are completely against “hooning” (which is fair enough) but get a couple of drinks into them and the stories they start saying about what they did on the roads when they were younger are unbelievable.
Sounds like my old man:p

Status
Not open for further replies.