Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why do people overprice their Commodores

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
There are many other cars out there, but Holden's still hold a place for a lot of us.

Yes, same here!
Dad worked at Holden from 1973 to 1991. He threatened me with blue murder if I ever bought anything other than a Holden. It was bad enough when I turned up in my first car in a Mitsubishi "Sopwith" Sigma in 1992. Got rid of that ("I don't want that rubbish sitting in the driveway, son!"), and bought a Lexcen CSi wagon (aka VP Commodore-cross). Dadda still not happy, despite a GM 3.6L V6 under the hood! Got rid of that. Along came the VZ and, though Dadda left us long before after a shocking illness, his niche at the graveyard proudly shows off a gleaming Holden lion logo. That's what he wanted.

But the future isn't so rosy, even to those with long memories, and those still with a penchant for tugging at the forelocks of romantic history.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
We considered the $1,452 trade-in a stingy insult, and were having none of it.

I see where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, the only figure that matters is the changeover price. I couldn't give a shiit if they offered $1 or $10000 on the trade.

But for some reason people get hung up on it. They can move figures from one column to another to make you feel better about your trade, but as long as the bottom line is the same, who really cares?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Yes, same here!
Dad worked at Holden from 1973 to 1991. He threatened me with blue murder if I ever bought anything other than a Holden. It was bad enough when I turned up in my first car in a Mitsubishi "Sopwith" Sigma in 1992. Got rid of that ("I don't want that rubbish sitting in the driveway, son!"), and bought a Lexcen CSi wagon (aka VP Commodore-cross). Dadda still not happy, despite a GM 3.6L V6 under the hood! Got rid of that. Along came the VZ and, though Dadda left us long before after a shocking illness, his niche at the graveyard proudly shows off a gleaming Holden lion logo. That's what he wanted.

But the future isn't so rosy, even to those with long memories, and those still with a penchant for tugging at the forelocks of romantic history.

isn't rosy?

I disagree, Holden's will just be the exclusive domain of enthusiasts. To me that's a bonus.

Sounds like you can't wait to move on, personally I've only ever owned Holden - never considered anything else.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Sounds like you can't wait to move on, personally I've only ever owned Holden - never considered anything else.

Lucky you. We weren't cashed-up to afford the big Holdens back in the early-1990s (Dad emptied his life savings on a VL Berlina with its (then) gawdy interior, and loved it so much that its daily ride was from the garage to the letterbox 230m away!). I progressed along the lines of cars as study, jobs and income allowed. Now I can have anything I want, and I'm not complaining about the VF! I also did not, ever, complain about the VZ. If it were not for me purely by chance and curiosity spying the VF on the ramps at the dealer, I would still be driving the VZ!

I'll happily see out the great times now and ahead with the VF (I drive a hell of a lot, not just to church on Sundays...), though it looks like I won't be holding onto it beyond 3-4 years. I agree that enthusiasts will hold on to Holdens, but the other ones, drivers and those who want to see their car serviced and looked after well into the future, will move on to the next offering. The VF will be somewhat antique 7-8 years from now: one only needs to look at the VZ to see how far and fast a few years ago in design and tech.

In a nutshell, no, not in a hurry to move on, but not shying away from future shock.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Lucky you. We weren't cashed-up to afford the big Holdens back in the early-1990s (Dad emptied his life savings on a VL Berlina with its (then) gawdy interior, and loved it so much that its daily ride was from the garage to the letterbox 230m away!). I progressed along the lines of cars as study, jobs and income allowed. Now I can have anything I want, and I'm not complaining about the VF! I also did not, ever, complain about the VZ. If it were not for me purely by chance and curiosity spying the VF on the ramps at the dealer, I would still be driving the VZ!

I'll happily see out the great times now and ahead with the VF (I drive a hell of a lot, not just to church on Sundays...), though it looks like I won't be holding onto it beyond 3-4 years. I agree that enthusiasts will hold on to Holdens, but the other ones, drivers and those who want to see their car serviced and looked after well into the future, will move on to the next offering. The VF will be somewhat antique 7-8 years from now: one only needs to look at the VZ to see how far and fast a few years ago in design and tech.

In a nutshell, no, not in a hurry to move on, but not shying away from future shock.

cashed up?

My first car was a hand me down HD.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
q

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
cashed up?

My first car was a hand me down HD.

Learnt to drive a 1966 HD Special, [179 with 3 on the tree]
Was like steering a truck ! [no power steering]

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
q

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As for over pricing,
My 2002 L67 Calais is almost showroom condition,
However its only shopping trolley [quick one at that].
Where is done 189,000 km's, and I have spent $3,500 on it in the past 18 months, just in bits an pieces, and doen t he work myself,
If I had got it done all the work at Holden, who knows the labour costs it would have been,
int he end, probably the labour and materials would have been worth more that the car.
You might say, you would be lucky to get $5,000 for it.
Where I did get asked at a car meet/gathering [last year], "if you were going to sell it, what would you sell it for",
I said $15,000, I got offered $10,000 because the the condition it is in,
And the person in question, had a good eye for good original/genuine cars,
He did complement me on the condition, and his words were "Its a Clean One".

I took if out for a drive a little while ago, and went to the wreckers, and had a few people were admiring it there,
and ask, do you want to sell it, I said for "Ye for $15k, but, no I don't wish to sell it".

So in nut shell,
I see my car of a asking price is $15,000. knowing very well the average person would not pay that,
but this is what I see its worth to me.
However, people just want the best Car at a bargain basement price, they don't see the logistics of what the real cost its worth,
where they want to enjoy it at someone else's expense of what they have spent on it in preserving it,
and knowing what they don't have to fork out on it, for what has already been replaced/spent on it.