Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why has no one does this?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, the AU IRS was apparently super good, classic double wishbone design. Unfortunately it's not particularly common (S3 had live axle too I believe) and it's not easy to tell which ones have it by trim. Big advantage for stuff like the VE and Nissan rear ends though is you can put aftermarket arms with turnbuckles in.

:)

The only way I can tell the AU with IRS, is by looking underneath....So it does make it difficult to tell, without physcially looking

Another option in the Ford range, would be the BA through to FGX.....The whole front and rear suspensions are identical in design....These rear suspension are similar to the VE, whereas The AU wasn't....So my apologises to everyone for making a mistake about the AU rear suspension design.....

I do know, the BA had issues with the diff centres whining after minimal kays, when they were new.....Plenty were replaced under warranty at the time....I believe it was the turbo and V8 models that had the issues...

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Au isn't exactly the same no but it's still double wish bone and from reading other forums it's just as good if not better than the later ba onwards blade design or whatever it is. From what I can see it would be a much simpler task doing the au rather than later model version

The only way I can tell the AU with IRS, is by looking underneath....So it does make it difficult to tell, without physcially looking
As I said earlier if you get the xr6 vct series 1 and 11 all had it's standard not optioned or so I am told.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
For RJK, this is what it looked like a few years (and owners) ago. been bent a few times since, but will be back looking fairly good soon. May put up a mini build thread when its done. Sorry to hijack.
kQMAH7G.jpg

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
no apology needed man that thing looks siiiik haha if laurels were more available id get one

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
AU IRS was Fairlane, LTD, Fairmont Ghia, XR8 and XR6 (with variable cam engine). However, you could get any options from Ford factory. I have seen for example, a farmer who got a Fairlane with live axle - reckoned it was better for towing.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Ah true I didn't know you could option out that sort of stuff haha. Still gotta find the track width for the au irs.

RWD4ever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS3 ute
Another option in the Ford range, would be the BA through to FGX.....The whole front and rear suspensions are identical in design

I do know, the BA had issues with the diff centres whining after minimal kays, when they were new.....Plenty were replaced under warranty at the time....I believe it was the turbo and V8 models that had the issues...
Actually FG front suspension is virtual pivot - an improvement over BA/BF.
And yes, the diffs were a problem - I think Ford didn't fix it until about FG series II. The model to avoid is the G6E turbo, which had the same diff as a taxi.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
i guess sticking with au stuff is definitely a good idea then given all the "updated" rear ends had diff problems and bush problems has come up a few times too. plus its a much simpler design and easier to make mounts for. probably not a bad mod for commo utes to put extra weight in the rear for grip and handling.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
so on further digging the au irs has a track width of 1547mm compared to a vr/vs's 1491. thats only 56mm difference or 25ish on each side. that is definitely more acceptable, not to mention that on further reading its very easy to swap the au irs into other au's and even earlier e series fords as they have the same basic mounting point as the live axle setups and only needed additional tabs and such welded in. given enough research and design this could be a very easy swap or to make something you could buy as a kit. with the killer ford irs in the rear and sfc adjustable goodies in front this would definitely make one hell of a weapon!

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I've often thought of upgrading the entire suspension of a classic Holden by swapping the entire floor pan from a late Commie. I've never gone into the mathematics such as track, body width etc, but if someone was determined enough to put a VE rear end into an earlier model, full or partial floor pan swap might be the answer.

There is an episode of West Coast Customs where they put a 1968 GTO Pontiac body on a 2006 GTO Pontiac/VX Commodore Monaro. It was a bloody big job where they used the Commy floorpan, dash, interior and engine bay. Then grafted on old GTO side panels and roof and a lot of work in between.

Last edited: