Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why has no one does this?

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
so i've been digging around for a while as i wanted to see how viable a commodore would be for me to build (specifically drift but can apply to any other Motorsport) so i have 2 things to discuss.

1st of all why the f**k has no one does an r154/ay5/mau5 conversion when they bolt directly to a Buick/ecotec? (yes i have proof) there almost just as strong as the t56 not even counting the carbon syncroed wide gear ay5 from the hummers. most of those transmissions are stupid cheap too and you dont need to buy an adapter for it so whats the downside?

and 2nd has anyone ever put any ve series rear cradles and diffs into earlier commos? they have a much better design and from what i can tell have basically the same width? could be very wrong but open to correction. discuss away

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Don't know about the transmissions but the VE rear cradle would never fit as the chassis is completely different. I'm sure it could be done with a lot of fabrication but then you would need to have the car engineered to suit if it was to be driven on the road.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think you'll find that Commodores are not ideal drift cars because they are a little long.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
im not too worried about putting the car on the road if i was to go ahead with this, im aware of the chassis differences but how difficult would it be? make new boxed mounts and reference points to put everything back to centre? most of the differences i can see are that there is no rear mounts due to it previously being back of diff and a shorter distance between front mount and diff centreline (so the whole cradle would need to be moved back to re centre the diff and wheels in the wheel wells)
and losh i was unnaware of the length factor? i thought the wheel base was similar to s14s and 13s but thats all heresay buy the sounds of it lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Parts availability and upgrade cost is the main determining factor.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd say you would need to completely modify the rear section of the VS to make the VE cradle fit. Cost Vs Benefit.

I'd think you would need to cut out the whole rear section of the VS body pan then jig up the VE rear cradle make all new mounting points to suit and then fill in the floor with new sheet steel.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
ah ok true, thought it might be similar to some irs conversions in r31s were new box secions were just welded in with reverence to certain points to centre everything. im assuming in order to get a good idea id need to find a vr/s wreck and ve cradle to see how possible it is

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
$_20.JPG

789867541.jpg

Top Pic, VS > Cradle
Bottom Pic VE Cradle.

Not only would you have the rear mounts to somewhere on the chassis to fab, but also a body line to modify to fit the curvature and bolt locations.

Added benefit to upwards of 50 hours of labour? Probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
yeah i see what you mean, the fronts would be easier as they would just need welded box mounts closer to were the original spring would sit. not quite sure what you mean by body line adjustment? the rear depending if it sits on the inside or outside of the rails (not sure were the vr/vs rails finish either) could potentially only need a raised box section also. not sure if any of that makes sense but yes definitely a good estimation at 50 hours but that also depends on the level of fab done. one could potentially just weld in a ve re chassis section but that open a whole other can of worms

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Possibly due to fact that v6 t5 are dirt cheap to replace also with irs cars only need to turn down diff yoke to fit stronger vt-z diff

Drifting was easier on low powered v6 t5 cars compared to burnout comps where cars moo-manged to death then scrapped

These days vt model is the dirt cheap disposable that vn used to be.

If serious check out Showtime Custom & Fabrication for drift gear