Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Why Holden turned its back on bogans"

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
“We want to show today’s Australia we have vehicles for everybody.”

So what about those of us who want to drive an engaging, RWD, V8?

That icon from yesteryear was around meat pies, kangaroos and Holden. But if you think about modern Australia today, we haven’t remained prominent to that, which is where we are catching up.”

Notice they left off the word "cars" after Holden. There are, or soon will no longer be, any Holden cars, just re-badged rubbish. I won't be shopping there again and I have been driving Holdens for over 25 years.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Seems their marketing people are totally confused. Wanting to keep the Holden name but erase it's history. Why not just call it GM, Chev or Daewoo!!!!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
After my initial outrage about this, maybe Holden marketing are not so wrong.

I have been baking and selling meat pies in an outer capital city suburb for over fifty years. I have always used the best meat available, and I made my own pastry, and sold the pies at a price that was acceptable to my customers.
During that time, the suburb has been absorbed by the big smoke, and take-away shops selling noodles, sushi, donuts, coffee, fried chicken, etc, have been established, and my market has been eroded away despite the increase in customers.
Recently, my oven has reached the stage where it needs replacing, but I can’t find an easily obtained replacement at an affordable price. So, I can’t bake anymore pies, but I can hire a smaller cheaper oven to bake croissants.
What should I do ? Hire a business marketing consultant to advise me on my future options, or close the shop ?

(PS…. The above is not a true story about my life, but I hope you can understand what I am getting at)

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Using the Holden model you would import cheap and nasty meat pies and sell them under the same name.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Seems their marketing people are totally confused. Wanting to keep the Holden name but erase it's history. Why not just call it GM, Chev or Daewoo!!!!
Do you honestly think Holden would still be here if they hadnt imported cars in the past? The turn away from local manufacturing, and dropping a small volume seller from the lineup wasnt done on a whim.

And keeping the Commodore name will anger some, but it's just a name that has come to signify their large 4 door family sedan. Why risk people being confused as to what the Holden Insignia or whatever they would have chosen to call it actually is? Much like when Nissan introduced the Tiida.....and then went back to selling it as the Pulsar. Brand name recognition is worth more than a few grumpy people.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I guess time will tell.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Using the Holden model you would import cheap and nasty meat pies and sell them under the same name.

and pretend your old pies didn't exist even though they were amazing and great value. Oh and all your old customers can go get stuffed too.