Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Why Holden turned its back on bogans"

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I think this is a symptom of 'globalisation'.
Our world is evolving to a point where there is either one, or a small group of mega corporations that control and dominate an entire industry.

TO give you an example of this outside of the automotive industry...
A couple of years ago I bought $1000 worth of shares in Aussie online movie streaming company, Quickflix.
They had good management, good product and service, competitive pricing and where riding the right tech at the right time.
Then last year they went into voluntary administration and I lost my entire investment.

Why? The main reason I believe was the American behemoth, Netflix
Australians simply did not want to support our own business, everyone wanted Netflix, even before they arrived in Oz, consumers would find all sorts of ways to get around the geo-blocking so they could get direct access to the US Netflix...or they would use internet torrents to download the latest movies for free...or use the American Youtube (now owned by Google).

We are being sold the idea that globalisation is good for everyone, well, I guess that depends or your personal perspective...one thing is for sure, it is good for the insiders and power-elites.
The 'Money-Power' paradigm is winning....because humanity revolves around....'Money-Power'.
If you don't play the game, you risk falling behind.

As a roughie $1k for most investors isn't a huge amount to loose and although painful I hope it wasn't too bad for you. As a very fast recon on it, I'd say it was an outside investoment at absolute best. They may have had a truckload of infrastructure behind it but without some major catalogues to lob up as content, they were always doomed to fail.

It's downfall wasn't about globalism, more about content from what I saw.

Last edited:

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
I think Holden has turned its back on Bogans only to align itself with rednecks. What do you think the Bogans will be driving in 10 years? Colorado sportcat etc. Good one Holden. Bogans won't be able to drive v8 Commodores by that time because they will probably all be owned by middle aged middle class men with an appreciation for their country's history......

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Holden didn't turn its back on bogans, bogans turned their back on Holden. The dual cab ute/4wd has been the bogan vehicle of choice for many years now. Not saying all dual cab ute/4wd drivers are bogans, nor should anyone say all Commodore drivers are bogans.

WTF is a bogan these days anyway?

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
There wouldn't be any problems if we weren't so far away from other countries, we had a higher population and our government wasn't so greedy

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There wouldn't be any problems if we weren't so far away from other countries, we had a higher population and our government wasn't so greedy

Interesting comment. Distance? Well, wasn't a problem during our car export hey-day and its not a problem with our other exports today, so I'm not sure it was really a factor.

Altered customer demands? Absolutely.

Population? Yep, probably was a factor as it required large exports to reach the necessary economies of scale. The domestic market was not big enough.

Greedy government? Nup. Taxes applied to everything with higher taxes kept in place to protect local luxury car production. Gradual reduction of tariff barriers doesn't support the idea of greedy government.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think Holden forget or are failing to acknowledge that in the most part car sales are down world wide not just Holden in the last few years. GM have closed down factories in the US. The car Co's that are probably doing ok are those who are selling $15-$20K brand new cars because you can buy something brand new on finance and then at end of the warranty period trade it in and get another loan for another cheap car. I think that GM is a bit naïve thinking that if they become this politically correct who delves in Gay Mardigras and Gay marriage that they will push up sales by appealing to a new customer base. Give it three or four years when all the hype has passed on gay marriage and rainbow flags they may realise they should have at least kept the Aust made Holden's as they were, even if they had to be made overseas to cut costs. With Fords going sales in RWD and V8s in the next few years may have increased once the economy picks up.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I just got an email from Holden wishing me a Merry Christmas and “get yourself what you really want this Christmas.” ………….a Holden Equinox.
The bogan in me says …… “No fkn way, I’ll stick with my Territory, thanks. It has RWD, 2 cylinders, 2 litres and 2 seats more than that.”

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I got that email too. Deleted it along with the bitcoin spam I get.