Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Ron Burgundy, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Ron Burgundy

Ron Burgundy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SS
    30 claims per 100 cars is still appaling...

VS 5.0 and losh1971 like this.
  2. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Indeed.....if I did 30% of my job badly, I wouldn't have it for long.

losh1971 and Ron Burgundy like this.
  3. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    I wonder what the number would be for other makes like Lexus or BMW?

4. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    Current daily (VFII SV6) came from Muirs also and besides the terrible pre delivery job on the car, I've only made one warranty claim in the 100,000km life and that was a semi broken drivers seat back - the replacement is starting to do the same. But otherwise it's been great. It's now serviced where I bought my HSV (one of the Suttons dealerships) and they've always been great. However, the E3 HSV must have undergone $10,000-$15,000 worth of work under warranty, and like Rons, is awesome to me. But some of that comes from the engine mods I've had done in the last 6 months. But it won't ever see a Holden dealer again after the initial report from the workshop who did the mods, telling me of missing bolts, stripped bolts in many places in the engine bay and under the car. He bought my servicing that I can't do myself, which isn't much.

My sons 2018 Astra that sat in a panel shop for 14 weeks before it's return as they were waiting on parts to arrive from Holden. And it was all underneath suspension parts that were being waited on. They should have stolen them off the assembly line where ever they make them these days (hatch = Korea I think). They won't take any more money from my family either.

Shame. Their loss. Tesla just took our money for our next car, just late this month.

abuch47 and Ron Burgundy like this.
  5. Wayno73

Wayno73 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE II MY11 SS, TM MY12 BARINA, NM MY15 TRITON
    Sort of...

4 Cyl is the Nissan engine, V6 is a Benz engine. Has wider tracks etc etc. More exxy with the V6.

6. zeropalooba

zeropalooba Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim L67 manual
    Muirs was a joint Kia and Holden dealership and when their site was being resumed by roadworks they promised to relocate the Holden and Kia dealerships nearby. Eventually only the Kia dealership was relocated, the Holden dealership closing its doors permanently. It annoyed me because I could walk there to get my parts whenever I needed them.

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  7. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I'm really sorry to hear that, hope you're recovering OK? :(
    :p

I used Alto Holden, who had a brand new shiny showroom at Chatswood, for the rear wiring-loom recall.
    It now occurs to me that they were game building that showroom, 'cos they must've done it AFTER Holden announced they were bugging-out! I guess they might've signed the contract for the works before the announcement was made, but as a Commodore Car Company dealer it seems an odd decision to have made. Seems to be a Benz dealership now, and Holden is with Alto KIA.

Mayhaps, but it would seem not that unusual on a global scale (yeah I guess our American cousins can tend to be a bit … complainey):

[​IMG]

Mind you' I've always had my doubts about the accuracy of that; I can't accept Chevrolet doing better than Toyota. Surely the US Toyota factories can't be that much worse than the one we had here?!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  8. Anthony121

Anthony121 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
    If I did it it in the Redline, I would of had a stiff back from all the bumps plus I wouldn't been able to go off road.

9. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Weren't Muirs shafted by Holden anyway? One of the many dumped dealerships?

10. Paulie81

Paulie81 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
    hmm let me see if I can remember all my issues

1. Dealer scratched front bar when replacing chrome trim with black.
    2. Faulty rubber seals around driver window. Required dealer to replace who managed to chip the paint when removing the door moulding. Probably because they used a screwdriver instead of a proper trim removal tool.
    3. Windscreen creaking/rattle noise requiring silicone spray
    4. Driver's seat mounting frame required tightening as it was loose.
    5. Cold engine noise as reported by other owners. Dealership claim it sounds normal.
    6. Centre console lid breaking clips very easily
    7. Brembo brake squeal. Required dealership to fix with parts and dry lube.

I'm pretty sure there were a few other minor things but that is all that I can remember. In the past, I have owned a brand new a Mazda 3, Nissan 200SX and a BMWX3. None of them with any issues at all with the exception of the BMW that had a recall on an engine part. One thing that I have learnt from my experience is that car dealerships service centres are not as knowledgeable about the vehicles they service and repair than they claim to be. They can do more harm than good at times which is why I stopped pursuing certain matters with them as I am worried they will just make things worse. Simple things like taking the time to search for service bulletins regarding common issues, using the correct oil spec or tools when conducting a service are a few that I have experienced. I'll go back to using my trusted mechanic or doing services myself once the extended warranty has passed.

11. White Swan

White Swan Active Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SS
    JD Powers ranking is based on vehicles over 3 years old and complaints by owners.

It offers good info without necessarily being greatly actuate.

Toyota have leapfrogged Chevy in the 2019 rating.

[​IMG]

12. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Good to see Fix It Again Tony maintaining their reputation.

13. V8 TIL 98

V8 TIL 98 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II MSE
    Mine has been flawless, apart from a suspension warning flashing up a few times on the dash (but nothing ever feeling discernibly amiss with the suspension), which was checked out at the first service.

Many years ago, I did have a few Friday afternoon Holdens, but I figured that these last limited edition models would have been put together with care and pride, since they were the very last ones to carry the Aussie-built flag (don’t even start me on the national tragedy of us losing such a significant capability). I would never have thought the good folks assembling these automotive weapons could have allowed the last of the breed to be hurriedly slapped together (despite the corporate/government shafting they, as individuals, were administered).

I am expecting this car to last as long as I do... and plan to keep it forever.

426Cuda likes this.
  14. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Going by the last sales figures not many people want holdens imported junk :p

Ron Burgundy likes this.
  15. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    It's the brand image that's doing that. Notwithstanding the loss of the locally built Commodore, Holden's product range in terms of quality and how they drive are in the best spot they've been in a very long time. Reliability in general is well up and all of their vehicles actually drive very well against the competition.

426Cuda and Anthony121 like this.
  16. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I would tend to agree.
    The increased sales of V8 cars for VF2 was a bit of an artificial thing, a bunch of people getting in before the chance to get a V8 Commodore went away. So for 80%-ish of what was the normal market for a Commodore, the ZB is a better car.
    Equally Noxious is a considerably better thing than Craptiva ever was.
    The US made Acadia POS gets pretty good reviews in it's market segment, yet sales figures don't seem to be setting the world alight. This is a big shame, because POS's like this are a huge cash-cow for just about everyone else.
    Ignoring the Chinese-made one (which I think they've now dropped anyway?), Astra is probably the best small-mid family car they've had in that segment in 20 years.
    Colorado is a dual-cab ute & looks large. To sell in that segment, you only have to be overpriced & oversized & lumbering, which Colorado does to a 'T'.
    Their small-Daewoo sized stuff is a bit terrible; you'd be tempted to say stuff that size ONLY sells on Price Price Price but I don't know how true that really is, SB and XC Barinas for example had a bit more zing than the offerings from other manufacturers at the time.

Having said all of that … I think that you do need to have at least one product which is the best (or at least equal-best) in it's segment, for that milkshake to bring all the boys to your yard. And I don't think anything they sell is that good; it's just "not bad".
    Probably the only thing they sell that's probably best in it's segment is the Commodore, and it's the vibe/Mabo that's stopping those from selling IMHO.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 9:27 AM
  17. V8 TIL 98

V8 TIL 98 New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II MSE
    The way they handled the Commodore transition after VF2 was really just the final nail, after years of foisting rebadged Daewoo crap on the market... not to mention the cynical way in which GM plundered taxpayer money - which was largely assisted by an inept government.

18. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    yes that will be one part of it but it will also be the current lineup of products being boring and lacking a lot of features that other vehicles have.
    just compare something like the ranger to the colorado and so on, gm is importing flavorless junk that people dont want.
    mazda and hyundai are selling double the amount of vehicles than holden is because the vehicles are just better than the comparison vehicle holden offers.
    holden currently sits in 9th place of the top 10 with toyota, mazda and hyundai being the top 3 and even kia is on its way up in 6th.

it has been 2 years since the factory closed so it will be interesting to see if holdens image/brand does recover enough for them to sell more or if gm will pull the plug.
    time will tell i guess.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019 at 10:13 AM
  19. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    That's what I don't even get. In terms of driving dynamics, I would rate the Colorado better than the Ranger. The Colorado has more power (apart from the new bi-turbo diesel that they've not long released), presents better value and in later models seems more reliable (having worked at workshops that service lots of both vehicles I have direct experience with reliability). I really don't get why people go and spend more on the Ranger.

426Cuda likes this.
  20. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    ranger is more feature packed while the colorado still feels like the rg from 2012 also it does not help that many of the collies had the defective engine in the 2014~2016 run that holden is still fighting hard to not replace.
    that kind of thing drives people away when looking at the colorado and one of the most common questions i answer on the colorado groups is "does the 2019 colorado still burn oil" and of course the answer is no.

since 2012 the colorado has not changed much mechanically apart from the dm2 engine in my14 its all just been interior and facelifts so it still feels like the 2012.

maybe its the "RANGER" across the back and they all think they are walker lol i hate that type of branding and would make them remove it before sale.