Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
oooh yeah... as the national fleet manager at work
NO vehicle has zero defects, they all will require TLC

lets start with the CEOs Porsche.. well actually lets not.
and
then there is Fiat Chrysler. So with starting Chapter 1-
colleague (against my advice) buys new SRT Jeep
.. picks it up from dealer, gets home CANNOT turn it off
car idles in driveway until their free road assist arrives... 5 hours later
spends an hour and thankfully engine stops
2 weeks starts car, heads off to work but nope.. never makes it.
2 main engine bay harnesses melt (thankfully no fire).. car stops
SRT spends 9 weeks in dealership being fixed. Then 2 days after
getting it back, gearbox loses all drive (embarassing in middle of Eastlink)
and stops DEAD. Eastlink guys find they cannot tow it either. it needs
wheel dollies to go on flattop, car spends 11 weeks at dealership (no parts)
then they find paint bubbles erupting around some of the glass openings...
VCAT gave my friend their $ back .. plus some for her troubles

BMW... I like, so does my missus in she drives a 1 Series M Coupe
but they have rear IRS issues (seizing), brakes wear quickly (rear pads
replaced at 18,000 and front about to be done... at 25,000) but they
want both your kidneys for pads. We are STILL arguing with BMW Aust
about an alternator, which when you turn the vehicle off, sings and whistles
to itself for up to 2 hours (and its not dixie). They state nothing wrong.. but
battery state requires nightly charging. Maybe they don't want to replace an
$800 computer controlled alternator. lets NOT go near the sports exhaust
issues.

Utes? we used to have all Mazda (since Holden stopped selling Rodeos)
but .. all gone (do not buy a Mazda commercial vehicle, all had problems)
We now have 5 small toyota HiLex flat tray utes... zero problems in 3 years
Well.. it is a Toyota

AUDI.. no major car problems to date but geezus ..are their services expensive?

Fords..? EVERY one of them had a transmission die (XR6, Territory, one tonne.. all)
so the sale fleet is now 100% Holden (mainly VF and some ZB)
I could keep going... :)

BTW Holden does have the Colorado......

Oh this makes my VF with a noisy warm up and a lose seat which is getting fixed soon a pretty damn good car with 42k on the clock. :)

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
every car has its issues and the depreciation/resale shows this.

id buy a zl1, c8, colorado if money wasnt an issue.

Corvette is now on the Holden website. What a beast!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
BTW Holden does have the Colorado......
I was told recently that getting into a Ford Ranga after driving a new Colorado makes the new Colorado seem more like a 20yo Colorado.

Corvette is now on the Holden website. What a beast!
But … not having a Holden badge on the back?
Sticking with Chevrolet, which in times gone by was certainly way underneath Holden in the quality-perception GM pecking-order?
This says nothing against the Corvette, more about how Holden (or GM?) views their future, IMHO.

seveprim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
After a lifetime of Commodores VC/VN/VR/VE I will not buy again... reason the VE was so American in quality, what I mean is my brother bought a jeep(example only realise not holden) once and the yanks where so cheap they put in short seat belts literally had to suck it up to put on a seat beat... fast forward to the VE and the door trim is so cheap it has like 3 mm wrap around the handle so it looks the part but after awhile it wants to peel off... and that is just the tip of the cheap tactics... The Ceiling glue is design to just fall apart so the interior is coming down... No other version was like this hell I see VC commodores with all their interior in tact.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Sorry, but I disagree, no Commodore has ever had a high quality interior & the VE wasn't the worst.
VR's & VS's are known for the interior roof-lining falling on occupants' heads you've mentioned (happened to us). Our VS had a cheaper/nastier interior than the VE did, for sure. I remember thinking "WTF?" when the VR was first released with these amorphous plastic blobs attached to the VP door-trims in a no-budget-available attempt to make the doors appear like they wrapped into the dash like Japanese & European cars had been doing.

And those early cars up to VK, where if you bought a red car you got a red interior … if you bought a blue car you got a blue interior … worse, if you bought an SLE you got a velour interior just like the tracksuit your mum hadn't thrown away from the 70's. I remember cleaning up my grandad's VK Exec in the early 90's and being a bit surprised at how archaic the interior was, it was similar to my RWD Corolla wagon at the time, and apart from the plastic very-fake-wood in my mum's 1977 Cressida I'd have said the Cressida looked of the same vintage as the VK.
People liked VL's for the engine (particularly the turbo), not for the interior or the build-quality! :)

No, those old Holdens were loved partially because you could keep one going with a sock & same chewing-gum. And I personally believe also because of Handlingberger; at least compared to anything at a similar price. I doubt very much if the Holden:Ford fan-ratio would've been the 10:1 that it was if the Holden engineers hadn't put more effort than their Ford counterparts into how the cars felt to drive (even stuff like the gearing on the VN's accelerator pedal meaning 30% foot-movement opened the throttle 80% - felt like you were driving a rocket, barely put your foot down & it took off!).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I was told recently that getting into a Ford Ranga after driving a new Colorado makes the new Colorado seem more like a 20yo Colorado.

sounds about right because the colorado is a pretty boring product and not very comfortable to drive for long periods.
the suspension is junk in them and they have a pretty bad throttle lag so you need to spend a few bucks sorting those issues but they do go ok offroad.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I prefer the colorado look over the latest hilux. also the hilux while mechanically sound, rides higher and has a smaller cabin. ranger is feature rich, amarok is feature anemic but has amazing size and good powerplant. 80 series is another mortgage, bt50 and trition are great bang for buck. navara has issues but is comfortable and holds its price almost as well as toyota. durrcedes benz lol.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I prefer the colorado look over the latest hilux. also the hilux while mechanically sound, rides higher and has a smaller cabin. ranger is feature rich, amarok is feature anemic but has amazing size and good powerplant. 80 series is another mortgage, bt50 and trition are great bang for buck. navara has issues but is comfortable and holds its price almost as well as toyota. durrcedes benz lol.
Isn’t the Benz a Navara with a better engine?
Is it that much more exxy?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Measured how ?

Typically measured in the back end with key metrics such as claims per 100 vehicles. Interesting stuff when you look at it. As an example early CG series 2 Captivas were up around 70-75 claims per 100 vehicles, around 2016 the newer models were down around 30 claims per 100 vehicles (fairly comparable to VF1 at the time).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
sounds about right because the colorado is a pretty boring product and not very comfortable to drive for long periods.
the suspension is junk in them and they have a pretty bad throttle lag so you need to spend a few bucks sorting those issues but they do go ok offroad.

I came back from a 1750km road trip in one recently around Victoria and while it is not a VF SS, it is a good truck to cruise around in.