Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why I would not buy a GM product again

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Typically measured in the back end with key metrics such as claims per 100 vehicles. Interesting stuff when you look at it. As an example early CG series 2 Captivas were up around 70-75 claims per 100 vehicles, around 2016 the newer models were down around 30 claims per 100 vehicles (fairly comparable to VF1 at the time).

30 claims per 100 cars is still appaling...

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Current daily (VFII SV6) came from Muirs also and besides the terrible pre delivery job on the car, I've only made one warranty claim in the 100,000km life and that was a semi broken drivers seat back - the replacement is starting to do the same. But otherwise it's been great. It's now serviced where I bought my HSV (one of the Suttons dealerships) and they've always been great. However, the E3 HSV must have undergone $10,000-$15,000 worth of work under warranty, and like Rons, is awesome to me. But some of that comes from the engine mods I've had done in the last 6 months. But it won't ever see a Holden dealer again after the initial report from the workshop who did the mods, telling me of missing bolts, stripped bolts in many places in the engine bay and under the car. He bought my servicing that I can't do myself, which isn't much.

My sons 2018 Astra that sat in a panel shop for 14 weeks before it's return as they were waiting on parts to arrive from Holden. And it was all underneath suspension parts that were being waited on. They should have stolen them off the assembly line where ever they make them these days (hatch = Korea I think). They won't take any more money from my family either.

Shame. Their loss. Tesla just took our money for our next car, just late this month.

Wayno73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SS
Isn’t the Benz a Navara with a better engine?
Is it that much more exxy?

Sort of...

4 Cyl is the Nissan engine, V6 is a Benz engine. Has wider tracks etc etc. More exxy with the V6.

zeropalooba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim L67 manual
The dealer shut down since ;) it was Muirs Ashfield - Sydney
Muirs was a joint Kia and Holden dealership and when their site was being resumed by roadworks they promised to relocate the Holden and Kia dealerships nearby. Eventually only the Kia dealership was relocated, the Holden dealership closing its doors permanently. It annoyed me because I could walk there to get my parts whenever I needed them.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I came back from a 1750km road trip in one recently
I'm really sorry to hear that, hope you're recovering OK? :(
:p

Muirs was a joint Kia and Holden dealership and when their site was being resumed by roadworks they promised to relocate the Holden and Kia dealerships nearby. Eventually only the Kia dealership was relocated, the Holden dealership closing its doors permanently. It annoyed me because I could walk there to get my parts whenever I needed them.
I used Alto Holden, who had a brand new shiny showroom at Chatswood, for the rear wiring-loom recall.
It now occurs to me that they were game building that showroom, 'cos they must've done it AFTER Holden announced they were bugging-out! I guess they might've signed the contract for the works before the announcement was made, but as a Commodore Car Company dealer it seems an odd decision to have made. Seems to be a Benz dealership now, and Holden is with Alto KIA.

30 claims per 100 cars is still appaling...
Mayhaps, but it would seem not that unusual on a global scale (yeah I guess our American cousins can tend to be a bit … complainey):

2018016a.jpg

Mind you' I've always had my doubts about the accuracy of that; I can't accept Chevrolet doing better than Toyota. Surely the US Toyota factories can't be that much worse than the one we had here?!

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I'm really sorry to hear that, hope you're recovering OK? :(
:p

Mind you' I've always had my doubts about the accuracy of that; I can't accept Chevrolet doing better than Toyota. Surely the US Toyota factories can't be that much worse than the one we had here?!

If I did it it in the Redline, I would of had a stiff back from all the bumps plus I wouldn't been able to go off road.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Weren't Muirs shafted by Holden anyway? One of the many dumped dealerships?

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
hmm let me see if I can remember all my issues

1. Dealer scratched front bar when replacing chrome trim with black.
2. Faulty rubber seals around driver window. Required dealer to replace who managed to chip the paint when removing the door moulding. Probably because they used a screwdriver instead of a proper trim removal tool.
3. Windscreen creaking/rattle noise requiring silicone spray
4. Driver's seat mounting frame required tightening as it was loose.
5. Cold engine noise as reported by other owners. Dealership claim it sounds normal.
6. Centre console lid breaking clips very easily
7. Brembo brake squeal. Required dealership to fix with parts and dry lube.

I'm pretty sure there were a few other minor things but that is all that I can remember. In the past, I have owned a brand new a Mazda 3, Nissan 200SX and a BMWX3. None of them with any issues at all with the exception of the BMW that had a recall on an engine part. One thing that I have learnt from my experience is that car dealerships service centres are not as knowledgeable about the vehicles they service and repair than they claim to be. They can do more harm than good at times which is why I stopped pursuing certain matters with them as I am worried they will just make things worse. Simple things like taking the time to search for service bulletins regarding common issues, using the correct oil spec or tools when conducting a service are a few that I have experienced. I'll go back to using my trusted mechanic or doing services myself once the extended warranty has passed.